Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shell features ???
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Shell features ??? Post 302199893 by skyineyes on Wednesday 28th of May 2008 05:42:32 AM
Old 05-28-2008
Shell features ???

Hi

Can anybody explain the following shell features with example

a) Command line editing
b) filename completion
c) job control

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

V2.2.0 new features?

Neo, can you tell us about some of the new features since the upgrade, or are they mostly "behind the scenes"? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PxT
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with Additional Password Features

Hello: I have a customer who is requesting the following security features on a Solaris 8 system: 1. Password history for the three previous passwords. 2. User account lockout after 3 failed login attempts. Can anyone help provide me with a solution or direction for the above? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rambo15
1 Replies

3. AIX

AIX OS Features versus Solaris OS Features

Hi Unix Experts, I like to compile and compare all the features that AIX OS (541L) and Solaris OS (Solaris 10) provide. If somebody can shed on this topic would be highly appreciated. Thank you, Khan (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hkhan12
0 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Evaluate uUNIX and MSDOS shell script features

I need to select the main features of shell scripting on UNIX and evaluate their MSDOS equivalent. can anyone suggest some online resources articles anything?? Thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: deemon111
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Features explanation???

HI Can anybody explain following UNIX features? Removable file system Dynamic file space allocation Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

features of a new SHELL

Hello, My team and I planing to create a new shell. We are including features like handing the "command not found" exception, etc.... 1)Can you please give some suggestions on what do do while writing a new shell..... 2)can you please give me your problems with the existing shells..My... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsharath
15 Replies

7. Programming

Unix shell with history features like in bash

hii to all i am developing a simple unix shell in c i want to add history feature in that how could i do that plz help if there is any tutorial or website plz put it here history feature should be like that in bash, when press up key show the previous command typed in console plz be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vipin_jss
1 Replies

8. Ubuntu

useradd - shell missing features after adding user

Hi, I need to create a user from a bash script so i have to use useradd. The problem is that when i create a user with: useradd -d /home/sample -m sample after i login with that user I have no history in bash, path do not appears, i can't use arrows and so on. When I use adduser everything is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ktm
5 Replies
YASH(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   YASH(1)

NAME
yash - Yet Another Shell SYNOPSIS
yash [options] [filename [args...]] yash [options] -c command [command_name [args...]] yash [options] -s [args...] DESCRIPTION
yash is a command line shell that conforms to the POSIX.1 (IEEE Std 1003.1, 2008 Edition) standard for the most part. Actually, it is much more POSIX-compliant than other shell like bash and zsh. yash also has its own features beyond POSIX, such as: * global aliases * random numbers * socket redirections and other special redirections * right prompt * command completion OPTIONS
set - set shell options and positional parameters set [-abefhmnuvxC] [+abefhmnuvxC] [-o option] [+o option] [--] [arg...] set -o set +o The first form enables or disables the specified shell options and/or sets positional parameters to <arg>s. If no <arg>s are given, the positional parameters are not changed. If no options or <arg>s are given at all, a list of all existing variables is printed. To clear all positional parameters, use `set --'. The second form prints the current settings of the shell options in a human- readable form. The third form prints commands that can be used to restore the current option settings later. -h, --help Show this help message and exit -a --allexport Any variable is exported when assigned. -b --notify When the status of a job is changed, it is notified immediately. --notifyle Similar to -b, but only notify during line-editing. Ignored if -b is set. -e --errexit Exit the shell immediately when any simple command returns a non-zero status. +f --glob Perform pathname expansion (globbing). --caseglob Perform pathname expansion case-sensitively. --dotglob In pathname expansion, `*' and `?' match a `.' at the beginning of the filename. --markdirs In pathname expansion, directory pathnames have a `/' at the ends. --extendedglob Enable extended pathname expansion. --nullglob In pathname expansion, patterns that do not match any pathname are removed from the command line rather than left as is. -h --hashondef When a function is defined, all the commands in the function are registered in the command path cache. -m --monitor Enable job control. All jobs are run in their own process group. When the status of a job is changed, the status is reported before the next prompt. This option is enabled by default for an interactive shell. +n --exec Execute commands. This option cannot be disabled in an interactive shell. +u --unset Expand an undefined variable to an empty string. -v --verbose Echo each command to the standard error before execution. -x --xtrace After each command line is expanded, the expanded line is printed to the standard error. +C --clobber Allow redirections to overwrite existing files. --ignoreeof Do not exit when an EOF is entered. This option is effective in an interactive shell only. --braceexpand Enable brace expansion. --curasync, --curbg, --curstop A background job becomes the current job when (curasync) invoked as an asynchronous command (curbg) resumed by the bg built-in (curstop) stopped. (These options are enabled by default) --histspace Do not save lines that start with a space in the history. --posixly-correct Make the shell behave as the POSIX shell. --vi Enable vi-like editing. --emacs Enable emacs-like editing. --le-convmeta Treat 8th bit of input as a meta-key flag (regardless of terminfo). --le-noconvmeta Do not treat 8th bit of input as a meta-key flag. --le-visiblebell Alert with a flash rather than a bell. --le-promptsp Move cursor to beginning of line each time when starting line-editing. (enabled by default) --le-alwaysrp Make the right prompt always visible on the screen. --le-compdebug Print debugging information during command line completion. Options can be disabled by using `+' instead of `-'. For example, `set +a' or `set ++allexport' disables the allexport option. Prefixing `no' to a long option also disables the option. For example, `set --nounset' disables the unset option. AUTHOR
yash was written by Magicant <magicant@users.sourceforge.jp>. This manual page was written by Khalid El Fathi <khalid@elfathi.fr>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). May 17, 2012 YASH(1)