Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Sort command - strange behaviour Post 302199879 by miwinter on Wednesday 28th of May 2008 05:10:57 AM
Old 05-28-2008
Thanks for the uber-fast reply Krish. I looked at the key definition thing (k switch) but it didn't seem to to work either. Using what you gave does the right thing, only, when I transpose that command to use on my live data, it doesn't. Here's an example (first 10 lines out of the newly sorted file):

sort -t";" rk2,2 mwreport_joined.txt > mwreport_sorted.txt

GLMLRP_ComparisonJob;989:13:42
GLMLRP_Diff_HighlighterJob;989:08:56
AD046;988:44:15
GleamMIPostCanadaExtractJob;9196:53:12
GleamMIAGREERepAllBackOutJob;9025:39:12
GleamMIAGREEProdFacilCombJob;9025:29:36
GleamMIAGREEExcRateHistExtractJob;9025:21:26
GleamMIAGREEDynamicParamJob;9025:19:10
GleamMIAGREEClassExtractJob;9025:11:35
GleamMIAGREEClassPODLoadJob;9025:09:43

As you can see above, the "9196:53:12" value in the fourth record should be top of the list as it is the largest numerically

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

/etc/passwd strange behaviour!

Hi there, first of all, here is my conf of a uname -a Linux SAMBA 2.4.18-4GB #1 Wed Mar 27 13:57:05 UTC 2002 i686 unknown on a fedora machine. Here is my problem: every once in a while, the line containing root disappears in the /etc/passwd, disabling all logging on my server. Any one have... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: penguin-friend
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me to resolve uncertian behaviour of a sort command

I have got a file BeforeSort.txt having 40 fields seperated by "|" First field= RecordType (Value will be P or FP) Second field= CamCode Third field = UpdatingDate Fourth field = ProductType Fifth field = ActionCode (Value may be 01, 02 or 03) Sixth field = ProductCode and so on My... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pankajrai
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

a strange message when executing the sort command

Dear all, when I issue the command: gunzip -c file.gz |sort the command is executed normally and correctly but a message keeps appearing everytime I run the command: the message: sort: missing NEWLINE added at end of input file STDIN Does anyone know what is the meaning of this message?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: marwan
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

A Strange Behaviour!!!

Can some-one give me a view to this : I have a directory in an unix server, having permissions r-xr-xr-x .This directory is basically a source directory. Now there is another directory basically the destination directory which has all the permissions. Note:I log in as not the owner,but user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: navojit dutta
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Strange sed behaviour

$ echo a.bc | sed -e "s/\|/\\|/g" |a|.|b|c| $ Is the behavior of the sed statement expected ? Or is this a bug in sed ? OS details Linux 2.6.9-55.0.0.0.2.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed May 2 14:59:56 PDT 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange Program behaviour

Had a strange thing going on with my code. It's ok I figured it out for myself.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrpugster
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

strange behaviour from sed???

Hi all, I want to do a very simple thing with sed. I want to print out the line number of a disk I have defined in /etc/exports, so I do: It's all good, but here's the problem. When I define md0 in a variable, I get nothing from sed: Why is that? can anybody please help? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alirezan
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Crontab strange behaviour

Hi all, I'm having this scenario which for the moment I cannot resolve. :( I wrote a script to make a dump/export of the oracle database. and then put this entry on crontab to be executed daily for example. The script is like below: cat /home/oracle/scripts/db_backup.sh #!/bin/ksh ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: enux
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange "cut" command's behaviour

Hi, Suppose if I have a file having data like this: $ cat file.txt A B C D And, if I do a cut operation like this: $ cut -d" " -f2 file.txt The output is A C D This is the same for even if we try to get the field 3 with -f3 (assume line 2 has 3 fields : C E F). The above... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

linux sort command produces strange output

cat a .a ba .b bb .c bc sort a .a .b ba bb bc .c NOTE: .a and .b appears before ba and bb, where as .c appears after bc. In general (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajb
3 Replies
sort(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   sort(1)

Name
       sort - sort file data

Syntax
       sort [options] [-k keydef] [+pos1[-pos2]] [file...]

Description
       The  command  sorts  lines  of  all the named files together and writes the result on the standard output.  The name `-' means the standard
       input.  If no input files are named, the standard input is sorted.

Options
       The default sort key is an entire line.	Default ordering is lexicographic by  bytes  in  machine  collating  sequence.	 The  ordering	is
       affected globally by the following options, one or more of which may appear.

-b	   Ignores leading blanks (spaces and tabs) in field comparisons.

-d	   Sorts data according to dictionary ordering:  letters, digits, and blanks only.

-f	   Folds uppercase to lowercase while sorting.

-i	   Ignore characters outside the ASCII range 040-0176 in nonnumeric comparisons.

-k keydef   The	keydefargument	is  a key field definition. The format is field_start, [field_end] [type], where field_start and field_end
		   are the definition of the restricted search key, and type is a modifier from the option list [bdfinr]. These modifiers have the
		   functionality, for this key only, that their command line counter-parts have for the entire record.

-n	   Sorts fields with numbers numerically.  An initial numeric string, consisting of optional blanks, optional minus sign, and zero
		   or more digits with optional decimal point, is sorted by arithmetic value.  (Note that -0 is taken to be equal to 0.)  Option n
		   implies option b.

-r	   Reverses the sense of comparisons.

-tx	   Uses specified character as field separator.

The  notation  +pos1 -pos2 restricts a sort key to a field beginning at pos1 and ending just before pos2.  Pos1 and pos2 each have the form
       m.n, optionally followed by one or more of the options bdfinr, where m tells a number of fields to skip from the beginning of the line  and
       n tells a number of characters to skip further.	If any options are present they override all the global ordering options for this key.	If
       the b option is in effect n is counted from the first nonblank in the field; b is attached independently to pos2.  A missing .n means .0; a
       missing	-pos2  means the end of the line.  Under the -tx option, fields are strings separated by x; otherwise fields are nonempty nonblank
       strings separated by blanks.

When there are multiple sort keys, later keys are compared only after all earlier keys compare equal.  Lines that otherwise  compare  equal
       are ordered with all bytes significant.

These are additional options:

-c	   Checks sorting order and displays output only if out of order.

-m	   Merges previously sorted data.

-o name	   Uses specified file as output file.	This file may be the same as one of the inputs.

-T dir	   Uses specified directory to build temporary files.

-u	   Suppresses all duplicate entries.  Ignored bytes and bytes outside keys do not participate in this comparison.

Examples
       Print in alphabetical order all the unique spellings in a list of words.  Capitalized words differ from uncapitalized.
	       sort -u +0f +0 list

Print the password file, sorted by user id number (the 3rd colon-separated field).
	       sort -t: +2n /etc/passwd

Print the first instance of each month in an already sorted file of (month day) entries.  The options -um with just one input file make the
       choice of a unique representative from a set of equal lines predictable.
	       sort -um +0 -1 dates

Restrictions
       Very long lines are silently truncated.

Diagnostics
       Comments and exits with nonzero status for various trouble conditions and for disorder discovered under option c.

Files
       /usr/tmp/stm*, /tmp/*	first and second tries for temporary files

See Also
       comm(1), join(1), rev(1), uniq(1)

sort(1)