Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to split a value according to character position Post 302199537 by ripat on Tuesday 27th of May 2008 06:31:15 AM
Old 05-27-2008
Hi, Did you try variable expansion in your shell?

Code:
number=123456789

echo ${number:0:2}
echo ${number:3:4}

If you have a large number of numbers to process, there is a solution with awk.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Character position

Hi , I am required to view the fixed postion file very often . I am looking for the utility like this if the file has a one or multile line abcdefghijklmnopqr Utility should make my file look like this 12345678910111213141516-------------------------- abcdefghijk l m n o p q r ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: akrathi
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

URG!! Last position of a character

Hi. If I have files with names like abcd.20080625.1234.abc.XYZ abcd.20080625.1234.abc.XYZW how can I get the XYZ or XYZW part? is there something like an Index() function but in reverse order? I was thinking that if I can get the position of the last dot... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrodrig
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert character in particular position.

I want to insert space in 7th position of all the lines usign vi editor or sed command Input file 12345689010 abcdefghijk . . Output file 123456 89010 abcdef ghijk . . (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jairaj
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify the position of character

Hi, Can some one guide me to identify the position of a character using index in UNIX. I have a record like "17/11/2010 15:16:39;reject;10.44.48.65;daemon alert; src: 10.44.48.112; dst: 172.21.52.88" . I need to identify the value which comes after _src:_ (_ denotes space). I am able to... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: suneel.mekala
15 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get character position within variable

Hi all let's say i have a file named 1234_v2_abcd i need to find the position of the character located after _v, in above case this would be character number 2 the count of the characters before _v can change, but i always have a number after _v can anybody help :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gigagigosu
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find character and Replace character for given position

Hi, i want find the character '-' in a file from position 284-298, if it occurs i need to replace it with 'O ' for the position in the file. How to do that using SED command. thanks in advance, Sara (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sara183
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split file based on distinct value at specific position

OS : Linux 2.6x Shell : Korn In a single file , how can I identify all the Uniqe values at a specific character position and length of each record , and simultaneously SPLIT the records of the file based on each of these values and write them in seperate files . Lets say : a) I want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split string by position

Hello, I have a file, where the strings in the lines are with fixed length. Like this 1234ABXX234ABC123456 And I want to split that line as it is colored. The output to be like this: 1234A;BX;X234;ABC1234;56 I am trying now with substring, but I believe there is a better way. Can you... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: apenkov
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Split by Position

I am on AIX. I need to use AWK to split the source file based on a character at a certain position. Position 75 with a value of 'R' should go in one output file and the rest should go in another file. I need proper names for the output files. Source FileName : abc_xyz_pqr_a_1_yymmdd... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: techedipro
15 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific character of a file in each line and delete this character in a specific position

I will appreciate if you help me here in this script in Solaris Enviroment. Scenario: i have 2 files : 1) /tmp/TRANSACTIONS_DAILY_20180730.txt: 201807300000000004 201807300000000005 201807300000000006 201807300000000007 201807300000000008 2)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: teokon90
10 Replies
SHTOOL-ECHO.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool						SHTOOL-ECHO.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-echo - GNU shtool echo(1) extensional command SYNOPSIS
shtool echo [-n|--newline] [-e|--expand] string DESCRIPTION
shtool echo is an echo(1) style command which prints string to stdout and optionally provides special expansion constructs (terminal bold mode, environment details, date, etc) and newline control. The trick of this command is that it provides a portable -n option and hides the gory details needed to find out the environment details under option -e. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -n, --newline By default, output is written to stdout followed by a "newline" (ASCII character 0x0a). If option -n is used, this newline character is omitted. -e, --expand If option -e is used, string can contain special "%x" constructs which are expanded before the output is written. Currently the following constructs are recognized: %B switch terminal mode to bold display mode. %b switch terminal mode back to normal display mode. %u the current user name. %U the current user id (numerical). %g the current group name. %G the current group id (numerical). %h the current hostname (without any domain extension). %d the current domain name. %D the current day of the month. %M the current month (numerical). %m the current month name. %Y the current year. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool echo -n -e "Enter your name [%B%u%b]: "; read name shtool echo -e "Your Email address might be %u@%h%d" shtool echo -e "The current date is %D-%m-%Y" HISTORY
The GNU shtool echo command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1998 for Website META Language (WML) under the name buildinfo. It was later taken over into GNU shtool. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), echo(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-ECHO.TMP(1)