Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Validation of character separated lines in a file Post 302199510 by kolesunil on Tuesday 27th of May 2008 04:37:28 AM
Old 05-27-2008
Validation of character separated lines in a file

Hi,

I have a file with "|" separated fields. If the line doesn't contain n "|" (say 2), then put this line in a file called invalid_file.txt. If it does put this row in a file called valid_file.txt.

For e.g. A file contain following rows:
Code:
Hi|Hello
How|Are|You
Hello

then
invalid_file.txt should contain:
Code:
How|Are|You
Hello

valid_file.txt should contain:
Code:
Hi|Hello

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
SK

Last edited by Yogesh Sawant; 05-27-2008 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: added code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

character validation

how do i validate against charcaters in c ta (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruffenator
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a perticular character of all lines of a file

Hi all, I am new to UNIX, so sorry if my question seem stupid to u. well i want to replace the first character of first 30 lines of a file, only if the first character is h. and in anothe script i want to replace a particular string/character say hello/h of a file.Condition: It should... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abovais
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

remove lines from file where > 13 occurrences of character

I have a '~' delimited file of 6 - 7 million rows. Each row should contain 13 columns delimited by 12 ~'s. Where there are 13 tildes, the row needs to be removed. Each row contains alphanumeric data and occasionally a ~ ends up in a descriptive field and therefore acts as a delimiter, resulting... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpd
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep all lines from a file NOT having a certain character

Hi, I have for instance following INPUT file from which I want to grep ALL lines NOT containing the literal '{' into an OUTPUT file: ... RUNJOB=1,AxBxALLxGEx RUNJOB=0,AxBxDELxGExPRAEMxABLxZGS RUNJOB=0,AxBxDELxGExPRAEMxHARM RUNJOB=0,{UNIX: echo '§ASG§;%ASG_START}... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ABE2202
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input Validation of comma separated values

Hello all, I am working on a script and have the first part solved of numerical input validation. Below the code validates that the input is a numerical value between 100 and 1000. If not, it errors out. Now I need to be able to read values separated by a comma. For example, instead of my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxRacr
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text file to CSV with field data separated by blank lines

Hello, I have some data in a text file where fields are separated by blank lines. There are only 6 fields however some fields have several lines of data as I will explain. Also data in a particular field is not consistently the same size but does end on a blank line. The first field start with... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vestport
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging two special character separated files based on pattern matching

Hi. I have 2 files of below format. File1 AA~1~STEVE~3.1~4.1~5.1 AA~2~DANIEL~3.2~4.2~5.2 BB~3~STEVE~3.3~4.3~5.3 BB~4~TIM~3.4~4.4~5.4 File 2 AA~STEVE~AA STEVE WORKS at AUTO COMPANY AA~DANIEL~AA DANIEL IS A ELECTRICIAN BB~STEVE~BB STEVE IS A COOK I want to match 1st and 3rd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crypto87
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl split string separated by special character

Hello I have string (string can have more sections) LINE="AA;BB;CC;DD;EE"I would like to assigne each part of string separated by ";" to some new variable. Can someone help? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikus
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to combine two lines in a file based on first character of each line in a file

Hi, I have a requirement where I need to combine two lines in a file based on first character of each line in a file. Please find the sample content of the file below: Code: _______________________ 5, jaya, male, 4-5-90, single smart 6, prakash, male, 5-4-84, married fair 7, raghavi,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jayaP
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need to combine two lines in a file based on first character of each line in a file

Hi, I have a requirement where I need to combine two lines in a file based on first character of each line in a file. Please find the sample content of the file below: Code: _______________________ 5, jaya, male, 4-5-90, single smart 6, prakash, male, 5-4-84, married fair 7, raghavi,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jayaP
1 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [ options ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If file1 is `-', the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Fields are normally separated by blank, tab or newline. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are dis- carded. These options are recognized: -an In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -jn m Join on the mth field of file n. If n is missing, use the mth field in each file. -o list Each output line comprises the fields specifed in list, each element of which has the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. -tc Use character c as a separator (tab character). Every appearance of c in a line is significant. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1) BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b; with -t, the sequence is that of a plain sort. The conventions of join, sort, comm, uniq, look and awk(1) are wildly incongruous. JOIN(1)