Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Parse and replace string in filename Post 302199495 by Franklin52 on Tuesday 27th of May 2008 03:47:26 AM
Old 05-27-2008
Code:
find . -name "*_TXT.TAR.AS" -print|awk '{f=$0;sub("_TXT","");print "mv "f" "$0}'|sh

or:

Code:
find . -name "*_TXT.TAR.AS" -print |sed 's/\(.*\)_TXT\(.*\)/mv & \1\2/'| sh

Check the output before you pipe it to sh.

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help on sed (replace string without changing filename)

I have awhole bunch of files and I want to edit stringA with stringB without changing the filename. I have tried the following sed commands: sed "s/stringA/stringB/g" * This will print the correct results but does not actually save it with the new content of the file. when I do a cat on... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjoves
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to parse this string

I want to get filenames from the following input. How can I parse this in bash. input data ------------------------------------------------------------------- path=/aaa/bbb/filename1;/aaa/filename2;/aaa/bbb/ccc/ddd/filename3 -------------------------------------------------------------------... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcliff
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse string

Hi, I need to parse a string, check if there are periods and strip the string. For example i have the following domains and subdomains: mydomain.com, dev.mydomain.com I need to strip all periods so i have a string without periods or domain extensions: mydomain, devmydomain. I use this for... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ktm
12 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replace multiple patterns in a string/filename

This should be somewhat simple, but I need some help with this one. I have a bunch of files with tags on the end like so... Filename {tag1}.ext Filename2 {tag1} {tag2}.ext I want to hold in a variable just the filename with all the " {tag}" removed. The tag can be anything so I'm looking... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kerppz
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to parse filename and one level up directory name?

Hello Experts, I need little help with parsing. I want to parse filename and one level up directory name. sample $1 will consists of /home/username/ABC1/rstfiles4.log /home/username/ABC4/rstfiles2.log /home/username/EDC7/rstfiles23.log /home/username/EDC6/rstfiles55.log... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirisha
8 Replies

6. Linux

Find String in FileName and move the String to new File if not found

Hi all, I have a question.. Here is my requirement..I have 500 files in a path say /a/b/c I have some numbers in a file which are comma seperated...and I wanted to check if the numbers are present in the FileName in the path /a/b/c..if the number is there in the file that is fine..but if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: us_pokiri
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

parse a mixed alphanumeric string from within a string

Hi, I would like to be able to parse out a substring matching a basic pattern, which is a character followed by 3 or 4 digits (for example S1234 out of a larger string). The main string would just be a filename, like Thisis__the FileName_S1234_ToParse.txt. The filename isn't fixed, but the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: keaneMB
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep exact string from files and write to filename when string present in file

I am attempting to grep an exact string from a series of files within a directory and append that output to the filename when it is present in the file. I've been after this all day with no luck. Thanks for your help in advance :wall:. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JC_1
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To replace a filename

Hi i want to replace date stamp filename to original file name. i want to remove the datestamp after .txt For eg: file_name.txt_01-1002014 output: file_name.txt tried with below one but not able to achieve mv file_name.txt_01-1002014`basename "file_name.txt_01-1002014 "`.txt (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
4 Replies
th_get_pathname(3)						  C Library Calls						th_get_pathname(3)

NAME
th_get_pathname, th_get_uid, th_get_gid, th_get_mode, th_get_crc, th_get_size, th_get_mtime, th_get_devmajor, th_get_devminor, th_get_linkname - extract individual fields of a tar header TH_ISREG, TH_ISLNK, TH_ISSYM, TH_ISCHR, TH_ISBLK, TH_ISDIR, TH_ISFIFO - determine what kind of file a tar header refers to TH_ISLONGNAME, TH_ISLONGLINK - determine whether the GNU extensions are in use SYNOPSIS
#include <libtar.h> char *th_get_linkname(TAR *t); char *th_get_pathname(TAR *t); mode_t th_get_mode(TAR *t); uid_t th_get_uid(TAR *t); gid_t th_get_gid(TAR *t); int th_get_crc(TAR *t); off_t th_get_size(TAR *t); time_t th_get_mtime(TAR *t); major_t th_get_devmajor(TAR *t); minor_t th_get_devminor(TAR *t); int TH_ISREG(TAR *t); int TH_ISLNK(TAR *t); int TH_ISSYM(TAR *t); int TH_ISCHR(TAR *t); int TH_ISBLK(TAR *t); int TH_ISDIR(TAR *t); int TH_ISFIFO(TAR *t); int TH_ISLONGNAME(TAR *t); int TH_ISLONGLINK(TAR *t); VERSION
This man page documents version 1.2 of libtar. DESCRIPTION
The th_get_*() functions extract individual fields from the current tar header associated with the TAR handle t. The TH_IS*() macros are used to evaluate what kind of file is pointed to by the current tar header associated with the TAR handle t. The TH_ISLONGNAME() and TH_ISLONGLINK() macros evaluate whether or not the GNU extensions are used by the current tar header associated with the TAR handle t. This is only relevant if the TAR_GNU option was used when tar_open() was called. SEE ALSO
tar_open(3) University of Illinois Jan 2001 th_get_pathname(3)