Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Printing all combinations : Awk Post 302199193 by summer_cherry on Monday 26th of May 2008 04:36:28 AM
Old 05-26-2008
Below code take a and b as the file name

Code:
sed '1d;$d' a | awk 'BEGIN{FS="|"}{print $2}'> a.t
sed '1d;$d' b | awk 'BEGIN{FS="|"}{print $2}'> b.t
while read aline
do
	while read bline
	do
		echo $aline"|"$bline
	done < b.t
done < a.t
rm a.t b.t

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk execution with more combinations..

The requirement is to extract 9 fields randomly from a 13 field CSV file to make another CSV file. While doing that, the field 7 and 8 of input csv file should comeout as field 7 of output with the value as first charecters of both 7 and 8 fields of input file(CSV file). Presently I am using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mitte_dino
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK printing

Hello, I am trying to write a formatted report into a file using .ksh script and awk. Here is the command I am trying to run echo "before awk" ${SRC_SCHEMA} echo | awk '{printf "%-20s", ${SRC_SCHEMA} }' >>$REPORT_SQL_NAME I get the following error before awk ADW awk: 0602-562 Field $()... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fastgoon
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK printing

i have a file containing a line 123456 is it possible to use AWK to print it out to look like 1 2 3 4 5 6 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomjones
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk printing help

Hallo, i have a file which looks like this: $1 $2 $3 Student1 55 Pass 55 Pass 35 Fail Student2 55 Pass 55 Pass 35 Fail i want that the $1 field... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saint2006
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk -- print combinations for 2 cols

Dear all, could you please help me with awk please? I have such input: Input: a d b e c f The number of lines is unknown before reading the file. I need to print possible combination between the two columns like this: Output: a d b d c d a e b e c e a f (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: irrevocabile
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing using awk

Hi I am relatively new to awk so i am getting confused a lot I am in need of help ... I am trying to append coloumns to the end of line using AWK I tried using this command awk -F "," '{for(s=7;s<=217;s++);$s="0";}1' OFS=, sam_sri_out It is giving me an output like this...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sri3001
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating all possible bi-combinations of a list with grep/awk

I have a 1-column file such as the example below: flower cat dog pizza car book I want to create a second column in which all possible 2-item combinations of column one are outputted in 2 tab-separated columns, such as: flower flower cat flower dog flower pizza ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Generating all possible combinations of values in field 1 (awk)

Input: A|1 B|2 C|3 D|4 Output: A+B|3 A+C|4 A+D|5 B+C|5 B+D|6 C+D|7 A+B+C|6 A+B+D|7 A+C+D|8 B+C+D|9 A+B+C+D|10 I only managed to get the output for pairs of $1 values (i.e. combination of length 2): (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk permutations and combinations

hello, I'm reading this thread, in which there is this code :awk ' function comb(v,i) { for(i in A) { delete A; if(length(A)) comb((v?v"+":x)i) else print v"+"i A; } } { A } END { comb(); } ' infilebut I can't understand where does v come... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: daPeach
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Print a python script down a list in a text file without printing a lot combinations

In a python script I have 2 files printing side by side on the same line. I want to have 1 of the files to be already displayed at once while the other file print down the list in the file and it still will produce new lines. I want to do it like that to reduce printing a lot of lines and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigvito19
0 Replies
BEGIN(7)						  PostgreSQL 9.2.7 Documentation						  BEGIN(7)

NAME
BEGIN - start a transaction block SYNOPSIS
BEGIN [ WORK | TRANSACTION ] [ transaction_mode [, ...] ] where transaction_mode is one of: ISOLATION LEVEL { SERIALIZABLE | REPEATABLE READ | READ COMMITTED | READ UNCOMMITTED } READ WRITE | READ ONLY [ NOT ] DEFERRABLE DESCRIPTION
BEGIN initiates a transaction block, that is, all statements after a BEGIN command will be executed in a single transaction until an explicit COMMIT(7) or ROLLBACK(7) is given. By default (without BEGIN), PostgreSQL executes transactions in "autocommit" mode, that is, each statement is executed in its own transaction and a commit is implicitly performed at the end of the statement (if execution was successful, otherwise a rollback is done). Statements are executed more quickly in a transaction block, because transaction start/commit requires significant CPU and disk activity. Execution of multiple statements inside a transaction is also useful to ensure consistency when making several related changes: other sessions will be unable to see the intermediate states wherein not all the related updates have been done. If the isolation level, read/write mode, or deferrable mode is specified, the new transaction has those characteristics, as if SET TRANSACTION (SET_TRANSACTION(7)) was executed. PARAMETERS
WORK, TRANSACTION Optional key words. They have no effect. Refer to SET TRANSACTION (SET_TRANSACTION(7)) for information on the meaning of the other parameters to this statement. NOTES
START TRANSACTION (START_TRANSACTION(7)) has the same functionality as BEGIN. Use COMMIT(7) or ROLLBACK(7) to terminate a transaction block. Issuing BEGIN when already inside a transaction block will provoke a warning message. The state of the transaction is not affected. To nest transactions within a transaction block, use savepoints (see SAVEPOINT(7)). For reasons of backwards compatibility, the commas between successive transaction_modes can be omitted. EXAMPLES
To begin a transaction block: BEGIN; COMPATIBILITY
BEGIN is a PostgreSQL language extension. It is equivalent to the SQL-standard command START TRANSACTION (START_TRANSACTION(7)), whose reference page contains additional compatibility information. The DEFERRABLE transaction_mode is a PostgreSQL language extension. Incidentally, the BEGIN key word is used for a different purpose in embedded SQL. You are advised to be careful about the transaction semantics when porting database applications. SEE ALSO
COMMIT(7), ROLLBACK(7), START TRANSACTION (START_TRANSACTION(7)), SAVEPOINT(7) PostgreSQL 9.2.7 2014-02-17 BEGIN(7)