Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting processing tab-formated output of command w/bash Post 302198722 by H2OBoodle on Friday 23rd of May 2008 08:21:04 PM
Old 05-23-2008
Take a look at the rsync man page. Maybe you could simplify your life and use the following:
--files-from=FILE read list of source-file names from FILE

Just an idea. Not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do i tell my bash shell script to test the output of a command against something

How do i tell my bash shell script to test the output of the command i'm using?? I want this script to look for lines not equal to 1 then let me know.. $ cat blah ; echo ---- ; cat blah.sh 1 fe 1 fi 1 fo 0 fum 1 blahda 1 blah 0 blahh 1 bla 1 bl 1 blahhh ---- #!/bin/bash while... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phpfreak
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping output from a command into bash script

Hi all. I am using procmail to deliver an email to a script I am developing. Procmail delivers the email to the script on standard input. I imagine this is the same as piping input from a command into the script. Hence I've been testing my script by running echo 'test' | sms-autosend-backup.sh ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akindo
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: executing a command based on organized output

Just learning scripting. I need to remove duplicate managed printers using lpadmin. I have the following script (it's rough and probably a better way to do it) that returns the values as IP (column 1) Printer Name (column 2).command: lpstat -v | grep -E ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zookpr
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

In bash script, how to assign output of a command to a variable while keeping tabs?

Hi, wondering if it's been asked before but didn't find matches from google. Basically I have this line: myvar=$(echo -e "a\tb") Now somehow the '\t' from the echo output gets replaced with white space and then stored in $myvar. It creates a problem for me later to use tab as delimiter to do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: birddie
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

set output delimiter as tab in cut command

I can not make it work, it prints \t rather than introduce tabs. cut -d "," -f 4,8 Samples.csv --output-delimiter="\t" | sort > out Since I am running this command within a shell script, I tried manually inserting tab in this command, still does not work. I am using bash shell Suggestions... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: analyst
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use the join command to obtain tab delimited text files as an output?

How do you use the join command and obtain tab delimited text files as an output? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect time command output to file (cygwin bash)

I have set up a bash script to run a long list of things that I need to time. I would like to redirect the output of time to a file. I have set it up like, echo "Runtimes for servlet 4, 100K structures" > test_times.txt echo "" >> test_times.txt echo "runs where N=10" >> test_times.txt echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] SED - Bash - Inserting multi Tab character in the command

Hello. I am using : sed -i -e '/§name_script§/a#'"${MY_TAB11}"'# \ #'"${MY_TAB1}"'The Standard way'"${MY_TAB7}"'# \ #'"${MY_TAB1}"'==============='"${MY_TAB7}"'# \ ' "$CUR_FILE" Is there a better way to define "MY_TAB7","MY_TAB11" in other way than : MY_TAB1=$'\t' MY_TAB2=${MY_TAB1}$'\t'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use bash command on awk field and output the result

Hello, I want to run a field from an awk command through a command in bash. For example my input file is 1,2,3 20,30,40 60,70,80 I want tot run $2 thought the command date +%d/%m/%y -d"01/01/15 + $2 days -1 day" and get the output 1,02/01/15,3 20,30/01/15,40 60,11/03/15,80 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: garethsays
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How do I assign the output of a command to a variable within a loop in bash?

In the else of the main if condition . else set lnk = $(readlink -f <path> | cut -d '/' -f7) echo "$lnk" if ] When I run the above on command line , the execution seems to be fine and I get the desired output. But when I try to assign it to a variable within a loop... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankasu
12 Replies
HEAD(1) 								FSF								   HEAD(1)

NAME
head - output the first part of files SYNOPSIS
head [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Print first 10 lines of each FILE to standard output. With more than one FILE, precede each with a header giving the file name. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -c, --bytes=SIZE print first SIZE bytes -n, --lines=NUMBER print first NUMBER lines instead of first 10 -q, --quiet, --silent never print headers giving file names -v, --verbose always print headers giving file names --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit SIZE may have a multiplier suffix: b for 512, k for 1K, m for 1 Meg. AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for head is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and head programs are properly installed at your site, the command info head should give you access to the complete manual. head (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 HEAD(1)