Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Remove html tags with bash
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove html tags with bash Post 302198276 by dejavu88 on Thursday 22nd of May 2008 12:53:00 PM
Old 05-22-2008
It kinda works, but somehow I have to forward the output to a new file.

Code:
awk '/<\/body>/ || /<\/html>/{next}1' file.html > file2.html

is there a way to make it return the output to the original file? (file.html)

When I use:

Code:
awk '/<\/body>/ || /<\/html>/{next}1' file.html > file.html

I get a blank file.

All the code before the </body> and </html> tags should remain in the file.

Thanks
This User Gave Thanks to dejavu88 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

How to remove only html tags inside a file?

Hi All, I have following example file i want to remove all html tags only, Input File: <html> <head> <title>Software Solutions Inc., </title> <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"> </head> <body bgcolor=white leftmargin="0" topmargin="0"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: btech_raju
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use sed to remove html tags including text between them

How to use sed to remove html tags including text between them? Example: User <b> rolvak </b> is stupid. It does not using <b>OOP</b>! and should output: User is stupid. It does not using ! Thank you.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alphagon
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

HTML code remove

Hello, I have one file which has been inserted intermittently with HTML web page. I would like to remove all text between "<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">" and </html> tags. Can any one please suggest me sed regular expression for it. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrbhole
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove html tags,consecutive duplicate lines

I need help with a script that will remove all HTML tags from an HTML document and remove any consecutive duplicate lines, and save it as a text document. The user should have the option of including the name of an html file as an argument for the script, but if none is provided, then the script... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: clicstic
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH parsing for html tags

Hello can anyone help me parse this line. <tr><td>United States of America</td><td>Dollar</td><td>43.309</td></tr><tr><td>Japan</td><td>Yen</td><td>0.5579</td></tr> the line above did not break. so i would like to have a result like this United States of America Dollar 43.309 Japan... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: doomsayer16
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing HTML, get text between 2 HTML tags

Hi there, I'm quite new to the forum and shell scripting. I want to filter out the "166.0 points". The results, that i found in google / the forum search didn't helped me :( <a href="/user/test" class="headitem menu" style="color:rgb(83,186,224);">test</a><a href="/points" class="headitem... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mysthik
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove html tags with particular string inside the tags

Could someone, please provide a solution to the following: I would like to remove some tags from the "head" of multiple html documents across the web site. They look like <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="Business and Investment in the Philippines"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: georgi58
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing all except couple of html tags from html file

I tried to find elegant (or at least simple) way to remove all but couple of html tags from html file, but all examples I found dealt with removing all the tags. The logic of the script would be: - if there is <li> or <ul> on the line, do nothing (=write same line to output) - if there is:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: juubuntu
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove the values inside the html tags?

Hi, I have a txt file which contain this: <a href="linux">Linux</a> <a href="unix">Unix</a> <a href="oracle">Oracle</a> <a href="perl">Perl</a> I'm trying to extract the text in between these anchor tag and ignoring everything else using grep. I managed to ignore the tags but unable to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: KCApple
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove multiline HTML tags from a file?

I am trying to remove a multiline HTML tag and its contents from a few HTML files following the same basic pattern. So far using regex and sed have been unsuccessful. The HTML has a basic structure like this (with the normal HTML stuff around it): <div id="div1"> <div class="div2"> <other... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: threesixtyfive
4 Replies
IRSEND(1)							   User Commands							 IRSEND(1)

NAME
irsend - basic LIRC program to send infra-red commands SYNOPSIS
irsend [options] DIRECTIVE REMOTE CODE [CODE...] DESCRIPTION
Asks the lircd daemon to send one or more CIR (Consumer Infra-Red) commands. This is intended for remote control of electronic devices such as TV boxes, HiFi sets, etc. DIRECTIVE can be: SEND_ONCE - send CODE [CODE ...] once SEND_START - start repeating CODE SEND_STOP - stop repeating CODE LIST - list configured remote items SET_TRANSMITTERS - set transmitters NUM [NUM ...] SIMULATE - simulate IR event REMOTE is the name of a remote, as described in the lircd configuration file. CODE is the name of a remote control key of REMOTE, as it appears in the lircd configuration file. NUM is the transmitter number of the hardware device. For the LIST DIRECTIVE, REMOTE and/or CODE can be empty: LIST "" "" - list all configured remote names LIST REMOTE "" - list all codes of REMOTE LIST REMOTE CODE - list only CODE of REMOTE The SIMULATE command only works if it has been explicitly enabled in lircd. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --device use given lircd socket [/var/run/lirc/lircd] -a --address=host[:port] connect to lircd at this address -# --count=n send command n times EXAMPLES
irsend LIST DenonTuner "" irsend SEND_ONCE DenonTuner PROG-SCAN irsend SEND_ONCE OnkyoAmpli VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP irsend SEND_START OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN ; sleep 3 irsend SEND_STOP OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 3 4 irsend SIMULATE "0000000000000476 00 OK TECHNISAT_ST3004S" FILES
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf Default lircd configuration file. It should contain all the remotes, their infra-red codes and the corresponding timing and wave- form details. DIAGNOSTICS
If lircd is not running (or /var/run/lirc/lircd lacks write permissions) irsend aborts with the following diagnostics: "irsend: could not connect to socket" "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied"). SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. lircd(8), mode2(1), smode2(1), xmode2(1), irrecord(1), irw(1), http://www.lirc.org. irsend 0.9.0-pre1 October 2010 IRSEND(1)