Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Removing Double Spaces for cut command Post 302198241 by joeyg on Thursday 22nd of May 2008 11:34:19 AM
Old 05-22-2008
Hammer & Screwdriver what about trimming out all extra spaces

You could do something like:

Code:
ps -fu $USER | tr -s " " | cut -d" " -f3

the tr -s " "
command eliminates extra " " space characters

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing spaces

hey.. i had a problem with the unix command when i want to remove the white spaces in a string..i guess i cud do it with a sed command but i get an error when i give space in the square brackets.. string="nh hjh llk" p=`echo $string | sed 's/ //g'` i donno how to give space charater and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sahithi_khushi
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

no count of spaces in cut

i want to give numbers to cut without worrying about the spaces; echo "12 345 6 78 9" | cut -c 1-9 echo "123 456 789" | cut -c 1-9 echo "1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9" | cut -c 1-9 the output of these three must be allways; 123456789 is that posible? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tártaro
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How can I use double character delimiter in the cut command

Hi All, Can the cut command have double character delimiter? If yes, how can we use it. if my data file contains : apple || mango || grapes i used cut -f1 -d"||" filename but got an error. Plz help.... Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AshishK
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing spaces...

Hey, I'm using the command from this thread https://www.unix.com/unix-dummies-questions-answers/590-converting-list-into-line.html to convert vertical lines to horzontal lines. But I need to remove the spaces that is created. Unfortunately I can't figure out where the space is in the code.. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing spaces from the output of a head command

Im running the below commands in a script. Total_confirms=`cat $OUTPATH/count_po* | head -4 | tail -1` # echo "Total Confirms records we need: $Total_confirms" >> $LOG2 The problem is its always returning 4 spaces before the result.. Can I pipe the result into something else to remove the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jazmania
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank spaces, tab spaces from file

Hello All, I am trying to remove all tabspaces and all blankspaces from my file using sed & awk, but not getting proper code. Please help me out. My file is like this (<b> means one blank space, <t> means one tab space)- $ cat file NARESH<b><b><b>KUMAR<t><t>PRADHAN... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Include white spaces while using CUT command

Hi I tried to extract 19 characters (default) enclosed with in tag from a file using cut command. If the characters comprises of double space, the cut command gives the output with a single spacing. file 1 <name>Kumar Rajasekaran</name> cut -c7-26 "file1" the out put i received is ... (48 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekar1
48 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut command skips spaces

Hi everyone I have a file looks like this X01 1 JOE 20100312 X02 TOD 20100312 X03 3 SAM 20100312 I wrote a script to assign the values in 5 columns to 5 variables. When I use cut command to assign column 2 or 3, it skips it if it is a space (see below) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimo
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing spaces in filenames

I have a problem mounting images because of the spaces in the filenames. Does anyone know how to rename files by removing the spaces with the find command? find Desktop/$dir -name "*.dmg" -print -exec ??? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ianebaj
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing double spaces in code

I want to be able to spot double spaces in code and then also replace it with a single space. Double spaces sometimes occur accidentally in code, but most often they are indents or seperate code from comments ("//"). In summary: I want to replace double spaces with single spaces where they do not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
6 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)