Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: GNU Emacs Help
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications GNU Emacs Help Post 302197779 by era on Wednesday 21st of May 2008 04:50:19 PM
Old 05-21-2008
M-x compile will offer to run make for you; you can change it to some other command if you like, obviously.

The syntax highlighting depends a bit on which version of Emacs you are using. Probably the simplest way to find the right variable and mode is to run M-x customize and look for "faces" options, specifically "global font lock". Or simply try M-x global-font-lock-mode if you just want to try it once.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Xemacs and emacs

Hi guys What is the difference between Xemacs and emacs. I assumed Xemacs runs only in X11. What about in Linux on KDE? Am I running Xemacs or emacs. Well it says emacs though. What is the advantage of one over other? What can I run on OS X ? SS (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurya_s
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help on EMACS

Any one has a good documentation on How To Use EMACs editor?? Thanks Ven :eek: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: VENC22
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

accent in emacs

Hello, I try to insert charcheters with accent with emacs. It doesn't work. How can I do ? Thank you in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: annemar
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Emacs

could someone please tell me how do I work emacs on unix?? how do you input the command and open up files and edit stuff. I know M-x info will lauch the info viewer, C-x u is undo, M-x spell-region run a spell check but when i use some of these command on emacs in Unix, I'm getting no results or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: starwind4
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

characters in emacs

How do you change characters in emacs? for example, I would like my files to appear written in "Arial" or "Thaoma".. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vero_81
1 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

Help configuring emacs

Hi, I am using emacs now after some months with vim (nothing agains vim, in fact I love it, but everyone around me is using emacs and xemacs) and I need some configuration help. How may I configure emacs to look like code examples in this page which is good for my eye. Thanks in advance, ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: faizlo
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to compile in Emacs

I'm trying to compile two files in Emacs (guess.cpp and yesno.cpp). So I open up Emacs (the text version) and give the command M-x and then I try to type in "g++ -o asst guess.cpp yesno.cpp". But everytime after I type "g++" and try to do a space after that, it says and wont let me type a space? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blackvelvet
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use emacs? Also how to open existing emacs files with .cgi format?

Hi All, I am new to this forum and a beginner in unix. Please correct me if I put the question in a wrong way.. How to use emacs editor? Also how to open existing emacs files with .cgi format? I have the following link :- http link i.e. url and path : /abc/xyz.dev/xyz/documents What... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: swathi123
7 Replies

9. AIX

Emacs on AIX 7.2

After I had successfully installed bash I wanted to install emacs. I downloaded the packages from IBM (emacs, emacs-nox, and emacs-X11), but I could not install emacs-X11. It needs libjpeg and libtiff, but I couldn't install both libs. Error messages: file /opt/freeware/64 from install of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BuSchu
2 Replies
HAL-LOCK(1)						      General Commands Manual						       HAL-LOCK(1)

NAME
hal-lock - lock an interface SYNOPSIS
hal-lock [options] DESCRIPTION
hal-lock can be used to acquire a lock on a given interface either on a given device or globally. For more information about both the big picture and the semantics of HAL locks, refer to the HAL spec which can be found in /usr/local/share/doc/hal/spec/hal-spec.html depending on the distribution. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --interface The name of the interface to lock. --run Program to run if the lock was acquired. --udi The UDI (Unique Device Identifier) of the device object. If this is ommitted, the global lock will be tried. --exclusive Whether the lock can be held by others. --exit-with-lock Kill the program if the acquired lock is lost. This only makes sense if you pass a specific UDI due to the semantics of HAL locks. --exit-with-dev Kill the program if the device is removed. This only makes sense if you pass a specific UDI due to the semantics of HAL locks. --help Print out usage. --version Print the version. RETURN VALUE
This program will attempt to grab a lock on a given interface. Unless, a specific UDI is given, the global lock will be tried. If the lock was succesfully acquired the program specified by the option --run will be run and upon termination this program will exit with exit code 0. If the lock wasn't acquired or an error occured while taking the lock, this program will exit with a non-zero exit code and the given program will not be run. NOTES
This program is only useful for launching software that doesn't use HAL at all (since such software launched using hal-lock would be locked out itself); for example a partition table editor part-foo may use wrapper script like this hal-lock --interface org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Storage --exclusive --run /path/to/part-foo-program BUGS
Please send bug reports to either the distribution or the HAL mailing list, see http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/hal on how to subscribe. SEE ALSO
hald(8), lshal(1), hal-get-property(1), hal-set-property(1), hal-find-by-property(1), hal-find-by-capability(1) AUTHOR
Written by David Zeuthen <david@fubar.dk> with a lot of help from many others. HAL-LOCK(1)