Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Count strings on single line? Post 302197662 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 21st of May 2008 10:53:38 AM
Old 05-21-2008
one way
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
cnt_words()
{

file=$1
	srch="$2"
	v=$(( (`cat $file | wc -c` - `sed "s/$srch//g" $file | wc -c`) / ${#srch} ))
	echo $v
}   

cnt_words myfile hello

FWIW -
And it is not UUOC I'm suppressing the filename in wc -c output.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for a single line to count how many times one character occurs in a word...

I've been looking on the internet, and haven't found anything simple enough to use in my code. All I want to do is count how many times "-" occurs in a string of characters (as a package name). It seems it should be very simple, and shouldn't require more than one line to accomplish. And this is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shingoshi
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count unique strings

How do I count the total number of unique strings from a file using Perl? Any help is appreciated.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

count identical strings print last row and count

I have a sorted file like: Apple 3 Apple 5 Apple 8 Banana 2 Banana 3 Grape 31 Orange 7 Orange 13 I'd like to search $1 and if $1 is not the same as $1 in the previous row print that row and print the number of times $1 was found. so the output would look like: Apple 8 3 Banana... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcfargo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple lines in a single column to be merged as a single line for a record

Hi, I have a requirement with, No~Dt~Notes 1~2011/08/1~"aaa bbb ccc ddd eee fff ggg hhh" Single column alone got splitted into multiple lines. I require the output as No~Dt~Notes 1~2011/08/1~"aaa<>bbb<>ccc<>ddd<>eee<>fff<>ggg<>hhh" mean to say those new lines to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bhuvaneswari
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I count strings on each line?

Hi Im a very inexperienced bioinformatician I have a large DNA file with about 10000 lines of sequence and need to count the occurrence of TA for each line for example in the file TACGCGCGATA TATATATA GGCGCGTATA I would like to get an output like: 2 4 2 I have tried... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manchesterpaul
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to search and count strings?

Hi, Is there a command to do a sensitive/in-sensitive search for a string on a line and print how many times that string appears? For example, if I have a line of text below: dog cat rat apple banana dog lion tiger dog Is there a command to search for dog that will print out 3 as a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the number of strings

I have 500 text files in a folder. The data of the text files are shown below. USA Germany 23-12 USA Germany 23-12 USA Germany 23-12 France Germany 15-12 France Germany 15-12 France Italy 25-50 China China 30-32 China China 30-32 I would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sahith
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the occurences of strings

I have some text files in a folder f1 with 10 columns. The first five columns of a file are shown below. aab abb 263-455 263 455 aab abb 263-455 263 455 aab abb 263-455 263 455 bbb abb 26-455 26 455 bbb abb 26-455 26 455 bbb aka 264-266 264 266 bga bga 230-232 230 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: gomez
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare file1 header count with file2 line count

What I'm trying to accomplish. I receive a Header and Detail file for daily processing. The detail file comes first which holds data, the header is a receipt of the detail file and has the detail files record count. Before processing the detail file I would like to put a wrapper around another... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pone2332
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the pipes "|" in line and delete line if count greter then number.

Hello, I have been working on Awk/sed one liner which counts the number of occurrences of '|' in pipe separated lines of file and delete the line from files if count exceeds "17". i.e need to get records having exact 17 pipe separated fields(no more or less) currently i have below : awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
1 Replies
STRING(3)						     Library Functions Manual							 STRING(3)

NAME
strcat, strncat, strcmp, strncmp, strcasecmp, strncasecmp, strcpy, strncpy, strlen, index, rindex - string operations SYNOPSIS
#include <strings.h> char *strcat(s, append) char *s, *append; char *strncat(s, append, count) char *s, *append; int count; strcmp(s1, s2) char *s1, *s2; strncmp(s1, s2, count) char *s1, *s2; int count; strcasecmp(s1, s2) char *s1, *s2; strncasecmp(s1, s2, count) char *s1, *s2; int count; char *strcpy(to, from) char *to, *from; char *strncpy(to, from, count) char *to, *from; int count; strlen(s) char *s; char *index(s, c) char *s, c; char *rindex(s, c) char *s, c; DESCRIPTION
These functions operate on null-terminated strings. They do not check for overflow of any receiving string. Strcat appends a copy of string append to the end of string s. Strncat copies at most count characters. Both return a pointer to the null- terminated result. Strcmp compares its arguments and returns an integer greater than, equal to, or less than 0, according as s1 is lexicographically greater than, equal to, or less than s2. Strncmp makes the same comparison but looks at at most count characters. Strcasecmp and strncasecmp are identical in function, but are case insensitive. The returned lexicographic difference reflects a conversion to lower-case. Strcpy copies string from to to, stopping after the null character has been moved. Strncpy copies exactly count characters, appending nulls if from is less than count characters in length; the target may not be null-terminated if the length of from is count or more. Both return to. Strlen returns the number of non-null characters in s. Index (rindex) returns a pointer to the first (last) occurrence of character c in string s or zero if c does not occur in the string. Set- ting c to NULL works. 4th Berkeley Distribution October 22, 1987 STRING(3)