Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting read file until certain line position Post 302197450 by summer_cherry on Wednesday 21st of May 2008 03:00:38 AM
Old 05-21-2008
sed -n '/test/,/*/p' file

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

read space filled file and replace text at specific position

Hi I have a spaced filled file having records like below: What I want is to read line having RT3 at position 17-19 then go to position 2651 check the 18 characters (might be space filled till 18 characters). This position should have a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: COD
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read value from particular position in file.

From unix script i want to read string value in a file from position 2 to 5. which command can be used or any alternatives there?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnarao
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Position to last line when vi opens a file.

Any Idea without entering any keystroke I can go to end of line in vi when I opening the file. When I am opening Vi I want to goto last line. when I give vi + filename it does not work. Any clue why it does not work. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ekb
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: read file line by line (lines have '\0') - not full line has read???

I am using the while-loop to read a file. The file has lines with null-terminated strings (words, actually.) What I have by that reading - just a first word up to '\0'! I need to have whole string up to 'new line' - (LF, 10#10, 16#A) What I am doing wrong? #make file 'grb' with... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read columns from file by position

Hello , i have a fixed-length record file where each column has a specific position. how can retrive two or more column based on their positions in the file ? Thank you (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alain.kazan
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the position of a pattern on a line from a csv file

hello I'm doing a unix program and i'm using many file csv.in each csv file the colums are separated by ";" I would like to know the position of a pattern. For example for a line yyyy, bbbb, cccc; ddddd;eeee. I will like for example by finding the position of the pattern "cccc" and the response is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: papis
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line...

Hello, I need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line... An example of entries in the file would be: SRVXPAPI001 ERRO JUN24 07:28:34 1775 REASON= 0000, PROCID= #E506 #1065: TPCIPPR, INDEX= 003F ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ferocci
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read file line by line and compare subset of 1st line with 2nd?

Hi all, I have a log file say Test.log that gets updated continuously and it has data in pipe separated format. A sample log file would look like: <date1>|<data1>|<url1>|<result1> <date2>|<data2>|<url2>|<result2> <date3>|<data3>|<url3>|<result3> <date4>|<data4>|<url4>|<result4> What I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pat_pramod
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read data from tab delimited file after a specific position?

Hi Experts, I have a tab deliminated file as below myfile.txt Local Group Memberships *Administrators *Guests I need data in below format starting from 4th position. myfile1.txt Administrators Guests the above one is just an example and there could... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Litu1988
15 Replies
Trace(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						Trace(3pm)

NAME
Devel::Trace - Print out each line before it is executed (like "sh -x") SYNOPSIS
perl -d:Trace program DESCRIPTION
If you run your program with "perl -d:Trace program", this module will print a message to standard error just before each line is executed. For example, if your program looks like this: #!/usr/bin/perl print "Statement 1 at line 4 "; print "Statement 2 at line 5 "; print "Call to sub x returns ", &x(), " at line 6. "; exit 0; sub x { print "In sub x at line 12. "; return 13; } Then the "Trace" output will look like this: >> ./test:4: print "Statement 1 at line 4 "; >> ./test:5: print "Statement 2 at line 5 "; >> ./test:6: print "Call to sub x returns ", &x(), " at line 6. "; >> ./test:12: print "In sub x at line 12. "; >> ./test:13: return 13; >> ./test:8: exit 0; This is something like the shell's "-x" option. DETAILS
Inside your program, you can enable and disable tracing by doing $Devel::Trace::TRACE = 1; # Enable $Devel::Trace::TRACE = 0; # Disable or Devel::Trace::trace('on'); # Enable Devel::Trace::trace('off'); # Disable "Devel::Trace" exports the "trace" function if you ask it to: import Devel::Trace 'trace'; Then if you want you just say trace 'on'; # Enable trace 'off'; # Disable TODO
o You should be able to send the trace output to the filehandle of your choice. o You should be able to specify the format of the output. o You should be able to get the output into a string. We'll see. LICENSE
Devel::Trace 0.11 and its source code are hereby placed in the public domain. Author Mark-Jason Dominus (C<mjd-perl-trace@plover.com>), Plover Systems co. See the C<Devel::Trace.pm> Page at http://www.plover.com/~mjd/perl/Trace for news and upgrades. perl v5.14.2 2012-02-16 Trace(3pm)