Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming How An Application Sets The Ip Options??? Post 302197443 by aamirglb on Wednesday 21st of May 2008 02:53:18 AM
Old 05-21-2008
How An Application Sets The Ip Options???

Hello Friends,
I'm involved in test the UDP/IP source code.
As you might be knowing, IPv4 provides several options: like Loose Source and Record Route (LSRR), Strict Source and Record Route (SSRR) etc.
I wanted to test the above mentioned IP options.
My strategy is to write a test application on top of the UDP/IP stack and enable the LSRR and send the datagrams. By monitoring the network traffic (using a tool such as ethereal) we can find out whether those options are working correctly or not.
But my problem is: HOW AN APPLICATION SETS THE IP OPTIONS???
BSD provides functions such as getsockopt and setsockopt to change the default behaviour of sockets. But If I see the man page of setsockopt, there are no options to set the above two IP options!!

Can any one please let me know how an application enable LSRR & SSRR IPv4 options.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
Md. Aamir Ali
Bangalore

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FILE SETS in unix

Hi all, Pls. let me know whether there is any concept called "FILE SETS" in unix? Because, I am using ETL tool DataStage which creates FILE SETS. While I am able to view the data of such a file set in the tool, the "cat" command on this FILESET lists only the Metadata and not the data content... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aparna_A
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Character Sets

Hi I was just wondering if there was a way in which i could find out the character set used in a file in HP-UX. ie Whether it is Unicode, UTF-8,ascii etc. Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: PradeepRed
3 Replies

3. AIX

IP Security file sets

hello, we are implementing ip security on several of our aix 5.2-09 boxes and i am unable to locate the prerequisite file sets. does anyone know where i can find these? i have the original 5.2 cd's but these file sets are not on any of the cd's. Any thoughts or suggestions? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zuessh
3 Replies

4. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Clouds (Partially Order Sets) - Streams (Linearly Ordered Sets) - Part 2

timbass Sat, 28 Jul 2007 10:07:53 +0000 Originally posted in Yahoo! CEP-Interest Here is my follow-up note on posets (partially ordered sets) and tosets (totally or linearly ordered sets) as background set theory for event processing, and in particular CEP and ESP. In my last note, we... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

differentiating two sets

Hi Suppose i have a set of files like this set1 a.cpp@@main/5 b.cpp@@main/6 set 2 m.cpp@@main/51 n.hpp@@main/51 a.cpp@@main/15 b.cpp@@main/2 there may be files with same name in 2 sets. i need to list the files in set1 which have last numeric field less than the same file in... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
15 Replies

6. Solaris

FSS and processor sets

I read somewhere which says """FSS can be assigned to processor sets, resulting in more sensitive control of priorities on a server than raw processor sets"" can any one tell me how we can assign FSS to processor set and how it works ? Thanx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
2 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Kernel boot options removed by fault, no boot options

Hello Everyone, First of all, I highly appreciate all Linux forum members and whole Linux community. http://forums.linuxmint.com/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif. I wish you the best for all of you ! I will try to be short and concise: I am using Linux Mint 10 for 2 months on 2 ws, and all went... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdt
3 Replies
GETSOCKOPT(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						     GETSOCKOPT(2)

NAME
getsockopt, setsockopt - get and set options on sockets SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> /* See NOTES */ #include <sys/socket.h> int getsockopt(int sockfd, int level, int optname, void *optval, socklen_t *optlen); int setsockopt(int sockfd, int level, int optname, const void *optval, socklen_t optlen); DESCRIPTION
getsockopt() and setsockopt() manipulate options for the socket referred to by the file descriptor sockfd. Options may exist at multiple protocol levels; they are always present at the uppermost socket level. When manipulating socket options, the level at which the option resides and the name of the option must be specified. To manipulate options at the sockets API level, level is specified as SOL_SOCKET. To manipulate options at any other level the protocol number of the appropriate protocol controlling the option is supplied. For example, to indicate that an option is to be interpreted by the TCP protocol, level should be set to the protocol number of TCP; see getprotoent(3). The arguments optval and optlen are used to access option values for setsockopt(). For getsockopt() they identify a buffer in which the value for the requested option(s) are to be returned. For getsockopt(), optlen is a value-result argument, initially containing the size of the buffer pointed to by optval, and modified on return to indicate the actual size of the value returned. If no option value is to be supplied or returned, optval may be NULL. Optname and any specified options are passed uninterpreted to the appropriate protocol module for interpretation. The include file <sys/socket.h> contains definitions for socket level options, described below. Options at other protocol levels vary in format and name; consult the appropriate entries in section 4 of the manual. Most socket-level options utilize an int argument for optval. For setsockopt(), the argument should be nonzero to enable a boolean option, or zero if the option is to be disabled. For a description of the available socket options see socket(7) and the appropriate protocol man pages. RETURN VALUE
On success, zero is returned. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EBADF The argument sockfd is not a valid descriptor. EFAULT The address pointed to by optval is not in a valid part of the process address space. For getsockopt(), this error may also be returned if optlen is not in a valid part of the process address space. EINVAL optlen invalid in setsockopt(). In some cases this error can also occur for an invalid value in optval (e.g., for the IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP option described in ip(7)). ENOPROTOOPT The option is unknown at the level indicated. ENOTSOCK The argument sockfd is a file, not a socket. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, 4.4BSD (these system calls first appeared in 4.2BSD), POSIX.1-2001. NOTES
POSIX.1-2001 does not require the inclusion of <sys/types.h>, and this header file is not required on Linux. However, some historical (BSD) implementations required this header file, and portable applications are probably wise to include it. The optlen argument of getsockopt() and setsockopt() is in reality an int [*] (and this is what 4.x BSD and libc4 and libc5 have). Some POSIX confusion resulted in the present socklen_t, also used by glibc. See also accept(2). BUGS
Several of the socket options should be handled at lower levels of the system. SEE ALSO
ioctl(2), socket(2), getprotoent(3), protocols(5), socket(7), tcp(7), unix(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2008-12-03 GETSOCKOPT(2)