Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: handling Infinite fork
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users handling Infinite fork Post 302197009 by ashish_uiit on Tuesday 20th of May 2008 03:30:54 AM
Old 05-20-2008
Question handling Infinite fork

how Unix handles as process which forks infinitely.
like .......

while(1)
fork();

What happens when it is executed and how to avoid it.

Thanks,
Ashish

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

way to exit a infinite process

There is a sh file called "agg.sh", this is a kind of negative scenario, this script would fail as expected, but the problem is that after executing the script the following o/p is displayed continuosly without returning the control.We have to press "crtrl+c" to exit the script. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: villain41
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Infinite loop not looping

Hi guys, I'm having a problem getting my infinite loop to loop. It simply reads in the users choice form the menu, executes the corresponding case statement and quits instead of looping back to the main menu again. I have a feeling it might be something with my if then statements within the case... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hootdocta5
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

while infinite loop_sockets constant

Hello Every one, it's requiered to create 'n' number of sockets constant for a hour time. i had my own script to create sockets using this i was able to create sockets and sendind data but using the tool i can maintain 'n' number of sockets for 5 minutes only after sockets are getting reduced to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mannam srinivas
1 Replies

4. Programming

Is my code in an Infinite Loop?

Production C code compiled without the dash-g option is running, and seems to be in an infinite loop. Is there a way to tell? Is there a diagnostic tool that will report what objects or what lines of code or even what functions are being executed? Or is my best option to kill it with a dump? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcus121
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

infinite while do loop problem

hi all, this is how my scrip looks like #!/bin/sh bindir='/opt/apps/script/bin' datadir='/opt/apps/script/data' dir='/opt/apps/script' while : ; do ls -1rt /opt/apps/script/data/check.txt*|tail -1 > /dev/null 2>&1 if ;then chmod +rwx $bindir/dummy2.sh ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tententen
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Infinite while loop

what is the difference between while:,while true and while false? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
6 Replies

7. Programming

Infinite thread

I created a thread which pings a machine for every 15 seconds. I made my thread function in infinite loop. Main process also in infinite loop and will run for years. I wonder the thread will continue as long as main process continuous or will thread terminates at some point? Is there any life... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish@123
6 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with infinite loop problem

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: My problem is an infinite loop when i press any other key other then Y or y in the while loop. what i want it to do is return to the normal script outside of it if pressing N or n or keep asking the same question if its any other... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ren_kun
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Infinite looping in script

we have one script which we use to send mail in our environment. If we are giving correct attachment script runs fine but if we give a attachment name which is not present on server then this script go to infinite loop and causing all memory to be used. could any one please suggest me what is wrong... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anshu ranjan
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Infinite loop query

I have a script script.shwhich is scheduled to run at 11 AM everyday. # script.sh Code: ./scb_script.sh & unfortunately scb_script.sh is running today in infinite loop as respective files are not available. My question, when script.sh starts running tomorrow, will the old process be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JSKOBS
1 Replies
pthread_atfork(3)					     Library Functions Manual						 pthread_atfork(3)

NAME
pthread_atfork - Declares fork handler routines to be called when the calling thread's process forks a child process. LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc.so, libc.a) SYNOPSIS
#include <pthread.h> int pthread_atfork( void (*prepare)(void), void (*parent)(void), void (*child)(void)); STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: IEEE Std 1003.1c-1995, POSIX System Application Program Interface PARAMETERS
Address of a routine that performs the fork preparation handling. This routine is called in the parent process before creating the child process. Address of a routine that performs the fork parent handling. This routine is called in the parent process after creating the child process and before returning to the caller of fork(2). Address of a routine that performs the fork child handling. This routine is called in the child process before returning to the caller of fork(2). DESCRIPTION
This routine allows a main program or library to control resources during a fork(2) operation by declaring fork handler routines, as fol- lows: The fork handler routine specified in the prepare argument is called before fork(2) executes. The fork handler routine specified in the parent argument is called after fork(2) executes within the parent process. The fork handler routine specified in the child argument is called in the new child process after fork(2) executes. Your program (or library) can use fork handlers to ensure that program context in the child process is consistent and meaningful. After fork(2) executes, only the calling thread exists in the child process, and the state of all memory in the parent process is replicated in the child process, including the states of any mutexes, condition variables, and so on. For example, in the new child process there might exist locked mutexes that are copies of mutexes that were locked in the parent process by threads that do not exist in the child process. Therefore, any associated program state might be inconsistent in the child process. The program can avoid this problem by calling pthread_atfork to provide routines that acquire and release resources that are critical to the child process. For example, the prepare handler should lock all mutexes that you want to be usable in the child process. The parent handler just unlocks those mutexes. The child handler will also unlock them all--and might also create threads or reset any program state for the child process. If no fork handling is desired, you can set any of this routine's arguments to NULL. NOTES
It is not legal to call pthread_atfork from within a fork handler routine. Doing so could cause a deadlock. EXAMPLES
For example, if your library uses a mutex my_mutex, you might provide pthread_atfork handler routines coded as follows: void my_prepare(void) { pthread_mutex_lock(&my_mutex); } void my_parent(void) { pthread_mutex_unlock(&my_mutex); } void my_child(void) { pthread_mutex_unlock(&my_mutex); /* Reinitialize state that doesn't apply...like heap owned */ /* by other threads */ } { . . . pthread_atfork(my_prepare, my_parent, my_child); . . fork(); } RETURN VALUES
If an error condition occurs, this routine returns an integer value indicating the type of error. Possible return values are as follows: Successful completion Insufficient table space exists to record the fork handler routines' addresses. ERRORS
None RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: pthread_create(3) Manuals: Guide to DECthreads, Programmer's Guide delim off pthread_atfork(3)