Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: History
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting History Post 302196926 by Vivek788 on Monday 19th of May 2008 11:30:23 PM
Old 05-20-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnMilo
When I started my current job, I had to learn a lot of things that were new to me on the command line. I found that the best way to remember the syntax of our internal applications was to search my history file.

So, I threw a little line into my .bash_logout so that I would keep a perpetual history of all my commands. It's a bit more useful than the history, because there is no limit and it eliminates duplicates.

Code:
history | perl -pe 's/^\s+\d+\s+//' | sort | uniq >> ~/.old_commands.log && cat ~/.old_commands.log | sort | uniq > ~/old_commands.log && cp ~/old_commands.log ~/.old_commands.log

What it does: Take the history, strip off leading digits (the command sequence number), and add them to a file, sorted and unique. I'm sure people on here will find some ways to improve it, but it works well enough for me as-is, and has helped me a great many times.

ShawnMilo

Hm.. I too just put it into my bash_logout.Let see how it goes.I also found another interesting link my friend provided.

Code:
http://london.pm.org/pipermail/london.pm/Week-of-Mon-20070611/008584.html

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

History

hi there all , i would like to know what are the other alternatives besides .sh_history file to get all commands typed on console .. Can u help me ? Thanks for all PS : I'm a newbie on this forum :rolleyes: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JuniorJack
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

History ??

Hi, How can i see first 3 commands that are there in history {fc -l} ? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: varungupta
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to review the history and the commands that has been done in this history?

Hello every body, Kindly inform me How Do i find out the time I executed a command previously on UNIX Solaris?? To be more specific and more clear about what i want to know is that I want a command the enables me to know the history and which command i run at this history/time. FYI I used... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedamer12
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

History to Another file [local user history , but root access]

Hi all, My need is : 1. To know who , when , which command used. 2. Local user should not delete this information. I mean , with an example , i can say i have a user user1 i need to give all the following permissions to user1, : a. A specific directory other than his home... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxadmin
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The history command: See other users command history

Can anyone tell this: If two users are logged into the same server from different locations. Is there a way to see the history command of the other user? I tried the history command, but it is showing me only the commands I used. Thanks in advance for your help. Iamnew2solaris (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iamnew2solaris
1 Replies

6. AIX

history

Hi How to see all the commands typed as user padmin in the vio servers ? history command shows only a few commands ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

History to Another file [local user history , but root access]

Hi all, My need is : 1. To know who , when , which command used. 2. Local user should not delete this information. I mean , with an example , i can say i have a user user1 i need to give all the following permissions to user1, : a. A specific directory other than his home... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sriky86
1 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

The Great History of UNIX (1969-1999) | 30 Years of UNIX History | YouTube Video

I am pleased to announce this new video in 1080 HD for UNIX lovers honoring thirty years of UNIX history spanning from 1969 to 1999 presented in 150 seconds (two and a half minutes) in 1080 HD, celebrating the 50th anniversary of UNIX. The Great History of UNIX (1969-1999) | 30 Years of UNIX... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
8 Replies
MHPATH(1)							     [nmh-1.5]								 MHPATH(1)

NAME
mhpath - print full pathnames of nmh messages and folders SYNOPSIS
mhpath [+folder] [msgs] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
mhpath expands and sorts the message list `msgs' and writes the full pathnames of the messages to the standard output separated by new- lines. If no `msgs' are specified, mhpath outputs the current mail folder's pathname instead. If the only argument is `+', your nmh "Path" is output; this can be useful in shell scripts. Contrasted with other nmh commands, a message argument to mhpath may often be intended for writing. Because of this: 1) the name "new" has been added to mhpath's list of reserved message names (the others are "first", "last", "prev", "next", "cur", and "all"). The new message is equivalent to the message after the last message in a folder (and equivalent to 1 in a folder without mes- sages). The "new" message may not be used as part of a message range. 2) Within a message list, the following designations may refer to messages that do not exist: a single numeric message name, the single message name "cur", and (obviously) the single message name "new". All other message designations must refer to at least one existing message, if the folder contains messages. 3) An empty folder is not in itself an error. A message number less than that of the smallest existing message in a folder is treated as if the message already exists. A message number greater than that of the highest existing message in a folder causes an "out of range" error message to be displayed. As part of a range designation that contains messages that do exist, message numbers less than the smallest, or greater than the highest, existing message in a folder are ignored. Examples: The current folder foo contains messages 3 5 6. Cur is 4. % mhpath /r/phyl/Mail/foo % mhpath all /r/phyl/Mail/foo/3 /r/phyl/Mail/foo/5 /r/phyl/Mail/foo/6 % mhpath 2001 mhpath: message 2001 out of range 1-6 % mhpath 1-2001 /r/phyl/Mail/foo/3 /r/phyl/Mail/foo/5 /r/phyl/Mail/foo/6 % mhpath new /r/phyl/Mail/foo/7 % mhpath last new /r/phyl/Mail/foo/6 /r/phyl/Mail/foo/7 % mhpath last-new mhpath: bad message list last-new % mhpath cur /r/phyl/Mail/foo/4 % mhpath 1-2 mhpath: no messages in range 1-2 % mhpath first:2 /r/phyl/Mail/foo/3 /r/phyl/Mail/foo/5 % mhpath 1 2 /r/phyl/Mail/foo/1 /r/phyl/Mail/foo/2 mhpath is also useful in back-quoted operations: % cd `mhpath +inbox` % echo `mhpath +` /r/phyl/Mail FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder SEE ALSO
folder(1) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder `msgs' defaults to none CONTEXT
None BUGS
Like all nmh commands, mhpath expands and sorts [msgs]. So don't expect mv `mhpath 501 500` to move 501 to 500. Quite the reverse. But mv `mhpath 501` `mhpath 500` will do the trick. Out of range message 0 is treated far more severely than large out of range message numbers. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 MHPATH(1)