Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting read file until certain line position Post 302196916 by finalight on Monday 19th of May 2008 10:07:50 PM
Old 05-19-2008
read file until certain line position

let's say I have this file format

Quote:
test
dfgsdgs
sdgsg
sd
sdgsdg
and another file
Quote:
test
asfag
fghfsdhg
i only want to get the lines between "test" and "*", so how do I do that and then assign to a variable with a space in between?

Last edited by finalight; 05-21-2008 at 04:22 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

read space filled file and replace text at specific position

Hi I have a spaced filled file having records like below: What I want is to read line having RT3 at position 17-19 then go to position 2651 check the 18 characters (might be space filled till 18 characters). This position should have a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: COD
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read value from particular position in file.

From unix script i want to read string value in a file from position 2 to 5. which command can be used or any alternatives there?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnarao
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Position to last line when vi opens a file.

Any Idea without entering any keystroke I can go to end of line in vi when I opening the file. When I am opening Vi I want to goto last line. when I give vi + filename it does not work. Any clue why it does not work. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ekb
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: read file line by line (lines have '\0') - not full line has read???

I am using the while-loop to read a file. The file has lines with null-terminated strings (words, actually.) What I have by that reading - just a first word up to '\0'! I need to have whole string up to 'new line' - (LF, 10#10, 16#A) What I am doing wrong? #make file 'grb' with... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read columns from file by position

Hello , i have a fixed-length record file where each column has a specific position. how can retrive two or more column based on their positions in the file ? Thank you (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alain.kazan
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the position of a pattern on a line from a csv file

hello I'm doing a unix program and i'm using many file csv.in each csv file the colums are separated by ";" I would like to know the position of a pattern. For example for a line yyyy, bbbb, cccc; ddddd;eeee. I will like for example by finding the position of the pattern "cccc" and the response is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: papis
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line...

Hello, I need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line... An example of entries in the file would be: SRVXPAPI001 ERRO JUN24 07:28:34 1775 REASON= 0000, PROCID= #E506 #1065: TPCIPPR, INDEX= 003F ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ferocci
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read file line by line and compare subset of 1st line with 2nd?

Hi all, I have a log file say Test.log that gets updated continuously and it has data in pipe separated format. A sample log file would look like: <date1>|<data1>|<url1>|<result1> <date2>|<data2>|<url2>|<result2> <date3>|<data3>|<url3>|<result3> <date4>|<data4>|<url4>|<result4> What I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pat_pramod
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read data from tab delimited file after a specific position?

Hi Experts, I have a tab deliminated file as below myfile.txt Local Group Memberships *Administrators *Guests I need data in below format starting from 4th position. myfile1.txt Administrators Guests the above one is just an example and there could... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Litu1988
15 Replies
LESSECHO(1)						      General Commands Manual						       LESSECHO(1)

NAME
lessecho - expand metacharacters SYNOPSIS
lessecho [-ox] [-cx] [-pn] [-dn] [-mx] [-nn] [-ex] [-a] file ... DESCRIPTION
lessecho is a program that simply echos its arguments on standard output. But any metacharacter in the output is preceded by an "escape" character, which by default is a backslash. OPTIONS
A summary of options is included below. -ex Specifies "x", rather than backslash, to be the escape char for metachars. If x is "-", no escape char is used and arguments con- taining metachars are surrounded by quotes instead. -ox Specifies "x", rather than double-quote, to be the open quote character, which is used if the -e- option is specified. -cx Specifies "x" to be the close quote character. -pn Specifies "n" to be the open quote character, as an integer. -dn Specifies "n" to be the close quote character, as an integer. -mx Specifies "x" to be a metachar. By default, no characters are considered metachars. -nn Specifies "n" to be a metachar, as an integer. -fn Specifies "n" to be the escape char for metachars, as an integer. -a Specifies that all arguments are to be quoted. The default is that only arguments containing metacharacters are quoted SEE ALSO
less(1) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Thomas Schoepf <schoepf@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). Send bug reports or comments to bug-less@gnu.org. Version 487: 25 Oct 2016 LESSECHO(1)