Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers sort by date and concatenate first three Post 302196784 by jlarios on Monday 19th of May 2008 01:05:45 PM
Old 05-19-2008
Thank you for the code Smilie. it works however I did not think of the case where the system could go down and I could have 6 or x files to read.

Hence, how would I get the files that are yesterday's only even if they are mixed up with older-than-yesterday files?

Thank you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Concatenate date to file name

Hi, I have written a script to rename a file, but I can not add the current date (in YYYYMMDD-HHMM format) can you please look at this cript, and help? thanks, #!/usr/local/bin/tcsh -f set server = "$1" set user = "$2" if (-f $server) then \mv $server $server.Saar. endif (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sierra_aar
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort by Date

I'm looking to edit a file which contains various data including date.(ddmmyyyy) I want to sort by date and then count the number of different dates found Any ideas how to acheive this Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mudshark
2 Replies

3. Solaris

concatenate/sort/cut

I have the following requirement. 1. I have to concatenate the 10 fixed width files. 2. sort based on first 10 characters 3. after that i have remove first 10 chacters from the file. can you please tell me how to do it. Thanks in Advance Samba (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samba
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

concatenate files sorted by date

I am a beginner in script writing, i tried to do the following I have a set of files sorted by date in the format YYMMDD.s and .x and .r I need to concatenate a header file to these sets of files so I used the following code echo "enter Swath number" read s echo "please enter first date and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: docaia
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to sort by the date

Hello World~ Please Help Me(BASH) input: dde,2007.8.25,891 dde,2007.8.23,356 dfe,2007.10.12,341 cba,2005.12.5,342 I wanna know how to sort by the date(2005.12.5) output: cba,2005.12.5,342 dde,2007.8.23,356 dde,2007.8.25,891 dfe,2007.10.12,341 Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lifegeek
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort the date

Hi All, Please help me to sort the date field which is in the format 2012-02-03 16:09:37.388... Platform: Red Hat linux Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jesu
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate many files which contents the same date as part of name file

Gents, I have lot of files in a folder where each file name includes the date of generation, then I would like to merge all the files for each date in a complete file. list of files in forder. dsd01_121104.txt dsd01_121105.txt dsd01_121106.txt dsd03_121104.txt dsd03_121105.txt... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort help: How to sort collected 'file list' by date stamp :

Hi Experts, I have a filelist collected from another server , now want to sort the output using date/time stamp filed. - Filed 6, 7,8 are showing the date/time/stamp. Here is the input: #---------------------------------------------------------------------- -rw------- 1 root ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort by name and date

nawk '$1=="Date" {d=$(NF-2);next} $1=="Queue" {q=$NF;next} $1=="Forms"{print q, $NF, d}' OFS='|' printfile.log I have this script working. Please let me know how to sort by Queue and then Date. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate and sort to remove duplicates

Following is the input. 1st and 3rd block are same(block starts here with '*' and ends before blank line) , 2nd and 4th blocks are also the same: cat <file> * Wed Feb 24 2016 Tariq Saeed <tariq.x.saeed@mail.com> 2.0.7-1.0.7 - add vmcore dump support for ocfs2 * Mon Jun 8 2015 Brian Maly... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paras Pandey
4 Replies
diff3(1)						      General Commands Manual							  diff3(1)

Name
       diff3 - 3-way differential file comparison

Syntax
       diff3 [-ex3] file1 file2 file3

Description
       The command compares three versions of a file, and publishes the ranges of text that disagree, flagged with the following codes:

====	      all three files differ

====1       file1 is different

====2       file2 is different

====3       file3 is different

The type of change needed to convert a given range of a given file to some other is indicated in one of these ways:

f : n1 a    Text is to be appended after line number n1 in file f, where f = 1, 2, or 3.

f : n1 , n2 c
		      Text is to be changed in the range line n1 to line n2.  If n1 = n2, the range may be abbreviated to n1.

The original contents of the range follows immediately after a c indication.  When the contents of two files are identical, the contents of
       the lower-numbered file is suppressed.

Options
       -3   Produces an editor script containing the changes between file1 and file2 that are to be incorporated into file3.

-e	   Produces an editor script containing the changes between file2 and file3 that are to be incorporated into file1.

-x	   Produces an editor script containing the changes among all three files.

Examples
       Under the -e option, publishes a script for the editor that incorporates into file1 all changes between file2 and  file3  -  that  is,  the
       changes	that would normally be flagged ==== and ====3.	Option -x (-3) produces a script to incorporate only changes flagged ==== (====3).
       The following command applies the resulting script to `file1':
       (cat script; echo '1,$p') | ed - file1

Restrictions
       Text lines that consist of a single `.'	defeat -e.

Files
       /tmp/d3?????
       /usr/lib/diff3

See Also
       cmp(1), comm(1), diff(1), dffmk(1), join(1), sccsdiff(1), uniq(1)

diff3(1)