Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replacing end of line with " in a UNIX file Post 302196191 by The Observer on Saturday 17th of May 2008 04:47:58 AM
Old 05-17-2008
Question Replacing end of line with " in a UNIX file

How should I replace End of line Character by ".
i.e in a file -
Name1,NO1
Name2,No2
Name3,No3

Should look like --
Name1,NO1"
Name2,No2"
Name3,No3"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

windows file to unix :end line chararcter

hi , When i ftp a text file from Windows to unix enviornment and open the file in " vi editor" the end line charcrter of the windows file is seen as "cntrl+M" charcter in the Unix enviornment. Is there any command in unix , so that i dont see this "cntrl+M" chararcter in the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dharmesht
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extran NUll character added after end of line "\n"

Hi All, I am facing a strange situation and want to find why it is occuring . When i convert the whole line into Hexadecimal character i can find the junk value after new line (\n) . If i look in binary mode it is not visible. PLease let me know how possible the junk character is added... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

"unexpected end of file" when Iīm use EOF inside block if

I have a trouble in my script when i use EOF inside block if. If i use EOF whitout block if I donīt have problem. Guys any ideas? Sorry for my terrible English. #!/bin/sh set -xv HOST='ftp.fiction.com.br' USER='fictionuser' PASS='fictionpass' FILE='ftpteste.txt' busca=`find... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ricardo.ludwig
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed append "\n" to end of every line in file

I know it sounds simple, but I want to e-mail the last 6 lines of a log file, which I have tailed into logresults.txt. I'm using echo -e "Subject:server results\nFrom:server log <user@domain.com>\n"`cat logresults.txt` | sendmail -t user@domain.com which works, but the body of the e-mail has... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

append "awk command" to the end of each line

hi; this is my qqq.mos: l ./gcsw 86.0.0.1 'lt all;l+;lset SectorPort=860 Tilt 861;l-' l ./gcsw 86.0.0.2 'lt all;l+;lset SectorPort=862 Tilt 863;l-' l ./gcsw 86.0.0.3 'lt all;l+;lset SectorPort=864 Tilt 865;l-' ... i want to append;l nawk 'NR==14 && $NF!="Set."{print "l ./gcsw "r"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gc_sw
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error"syntax error at line 15: `end of file' unexpected"

While i m running below code, it is giving me the error"syntax error at line 15: `end of file' unexpected". Pls let me know what is wrong here..i tried many ways, but no luck dbSID="SWQE" usrname="apps" password="Wrgthrk3" count=0 while do sqlplus $usrname/$password@$dbSID... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: millan
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing end of line characters

Hello, I'm looking for some help in renaming data-timestamps stored within different calendar directories/files. The calendar directory has hundreds of ICS files: ~/Library/Calendars/F494C908.calendar/Events/92B65E439AAC.ics ~/Library/Calendars/F494C908.calendar/Events/DE7867E61969.ics... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Schubi
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing "." with "GG" in a certain column of a file that has heading

Hi, all, I have a file that looks like: ## XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX ## YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY #AA AB AC AD AE AF AG AH AI AJ AK AL 20 60039 60039 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kush
5 Replies

10. BSD

Keep getting error "-bash: ./.profile_z2: line 52: syntax error: unexpected end of file"

#!/bin/bash #-------------------------------------------------------- # Setup prompt # Author Zeeshan Mirza # Data: 06-08-2017 #-------------------------------------------------------- if then . ./.profile_custom_pre fi umask 022 set -o vi export EDITOR=vi export VISUAL=vi... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: getzeeshan
3 Replies
SYMLINK(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual							SYMLINK(2)

NAME
symlink -- make symbolic link to a file SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int symlink(const char *name1, const char *name2); DESCRIPTION
A symbolic link name2 is created to name1 (name2 is the name of the file created, name1 is the string used in creating the symbolic link). Either name may be an arbitrary path name; the files need not be on the same file system. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, a zero value is returned. If an error occurs, the error code is stored in errno and a -1 value is returned. ERRORS
The symbolic link succeeds unless: [ENOTDIR] A component of the name2 prefix is not a directory. [ENAMETOOLONG] A component of a pathname exceeded {NAME_MAX} characters, or an entire path name exceeded {PATH_MAX} characters. [ENOENT] The named file does not exist. [EACCES] A component of the name2 path prefix denies search permission. [ELOOP] Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating the pathname. [EEXIST] Name2 already exists. [EIO] An I/O error occurred while making the directory entry for name2, or allocating the inode for name2, or writing out the link contents of name2. [EROFS] The file name2 would reside on a read-only file system. [ENOSPC] The directory in which the entry for the new symbolic link is being placed cannot be extended because there is no space left on the file system containing the directory. [ENOSPC] The new symbolic link cannot be created because there there is no space left on the file system that will contain the sym- bolic link. [ENOSPC] There are no free inodes on the file system on which the symbolic link is being created. [EDQUOT] The directory in which the entry for the new symbolic link is being placed cannot be extended because the user's quota of disk blocks on the file system containing the directory has been exhausted. [EDQUOT] The new symbolic link cannot be created because the user's quota of disk blocks on the file system that will contain the symbolic link has been exhausted. [EDQUOT] The user's quota of inodes on the file system on which the symbolic link is being created has been exhausted. [EIO] An I/O error occurred while making the directory entry or allocating the inode. [EFAULT] Name1 or name2 points outside the process's allocated address space. SEE ALSO
ln(1), link(2), unlink(2) symlink(7), HISTORY
The symlink() function call appeared in 4.2BSD. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution June 4, 1993 4.2 Berkeley Distribution