Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Directory sizes loop optimization Post 302196070 by shamrock on Friday 16th of May 2008 04:20:09 PM
Old 05-16-2008
Why use the for-loop when it can all be done by find.

Code:
/usr/bin/ssh -q $ID@$SERVER find $DIRECTORY -type d -exec du -sk {} \;

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Directory sizes

Can someone tell me how to read these damn sizes. i mean, i prefer to see sizes in MB but that is not the case when you do an ls -l on directories. i have a had time converting these to MB just for verification purposes, what would a directory size like this = 3499990308 represent in MB or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop through files in a directory

Hi, I want to write bash script that will keep on looking for files in a directory and if any file exists, it processes them. I want it to be a background process, which keeps looking for files in a directory. Is there any way to do that in bash script? I can loop through all the files like... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rladda
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for checking and reporting file sizes in a directory.

Hi, Need help for a Script for checking and reporting database file sizes in a directory. Request you to please give your valuable inputs. Thanks a lot in advance. Best Regards, Marconi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marconi
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

to compare total directory structure and get sizes of all f on two different servers

Hello every one, Iam newbie to this forum and shell programming &scripting. i needed to compare each and every folder of two separate servers. Actually I have copied some directory structure from one server to second server, to build on second server the files all should be copied... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mannam srinivas
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Optimization - large delimited file, for loop with many greps

Since there are approximately 75K gsfiles and hundreds of stfiles per gsfile, this script can take hours. How can I rewrite this script, so that it's much faster? I'm not as familiar with perl but I'm open to all suggestions. ls file.list>$split for gsfile in `cat $split`; do csplit... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: verge
17 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

df vs du for directory sizes

Is it better to use df or du to calculate directory sizes? I tried both and got different numbers with both. $ du -h /home 1.7G /home/bob1 1.7G /home $ df -h /home Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/mapper/VG-lv_home 25G 1.9G 22G ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Loop through directory and extract sub directory names

I am trying to loop through folders and extract the name of the lowest level subfolder I was running the script below, it returns /bb/bin/prd/newyork /bb/bin/prd/london /bb/bin/prd/tokyo I really want newyork london tokyo I couldn't find a standard variable for the lowest level... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: personalt
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

One file in to one directory using a for loop

So I have several files: 1.txt 2.txt 3.txt 4.txt and several directories: one two three four I want to put one file in one directory, thusly: 1.txt to /one 2.txt to /two 3.txt to /three 4.txt to /four but I want to use a for loop to do something like this: !#/usr/bin/bash... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: os2mac
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop through files in a directory

Hello How do I loop through files in a specific directory ? This script is not working! #! /bin/bash FILES=/usr/desktop/input/* For f in $FILES; do awk '-v A="$a" -v B="$b" {$6=($1-64)/2 ;$7=((10^($6/10))/A)^(1/B) ; print}' OFS="\t" $f > /root/Desktop/output/$f.txt; done ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali.seifaddini
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list files names and sizes in a directory and output result to the file?

Hi , I'm trying to list the files and output is written to a file. But when I execute the command , the output file is being listed. How to exclude it ? /tmp file1.txt file2.txt ls -ltr |grep -v '-' | awk print {$9, $5} > output.txt cat output.txt file1.txt file2.txt output.txt (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: etldeveloper
8 Replies
crontab(5)							File Formats Manual							crontab(5)

Name
       crontab - clock daemon table file

Syntax
       /usr/lib/crontab

Description
       The  command  executes  at  specified dates and times according to the instructions in the file. The file consists of lines with six fields
       each.  The format for a line is as follows:

minute hour day month weekday command

The following list defines each field in the line:

minute (0-59)  The exact minute that the command sequence executes.

hour (0-23)    The hour of the day that the command sequence executes.

day (1-31)     The day of the month that the command sequence executes.

month (1-12)   The month of the year that the command sequence executes.

weekday (1-7)  The day of the week that the command sequence executes. Monday = 1, Tuesday = 2, and so forth.

command	      The complete command sequence variable that is to be executed.  Note that the command string must conform  to  Bourne  shell
		      syntax.

The first five integer fields may be specified as follows:

o   A single number in the specified range

o   Two numbers separated by a minus, meaning a range inclusive

o   A list of numbers separated by commas, meaning any of the numbers

o   An asterisk meaning all legal values

The sixth field is a string that is executed by the shell at the specified times.  A percent sign (%) in this field is translated to a new-
       line character.	Only the first line of the command field, up to a percent sign (%) or end of line, is executed by the  shell.	The  other
       lines are made available to the command as standard input.

Examples
       The following example is part of a file:
       # periodic things
       0,15,30,45 * * * * (echo '^M' `date`; echo '') >/dev/console
       0,15,30,45 * * * * /usr/lib/atrun

# daily stuff
       5 4 * * * sh /usr/adm/newsyslog
       15 4 * * * ( cd /usr/preserve; find . -mtime +7 -a -exec rm -f {} ; )
       20 4 * * * find /usr/msgs -mtime +21 -a ! -perm 444 -a ! -name bounds
	    -a -exec rm -f {} ;

# NOTE: The above line is wrapped.

# local cleanups
       30 4 * * * find /usr/spool/mqueue -type f -mtime +5 -name df-exec rm {} ;
       35 4 * * * find /usr/spool/mqueue -type f -mtime +5 -name tf-exec rm {} ;
       40 4 * * * find /usr/spool/rwho -type f -mtime +21 -exec rm {} ;
       #

# redirecting error output
       0 17 * * 1,3,5 /bin/tar -cv /usr/sysads/smith > /dev/console 2>&1
       #

Files
See Also
       sh(1), cron(8)
       Guide to System Environment Setup

crontab(5)