Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Read value from particular position in file. Post 302195452 by krishnarao on Thursday 15th of May 2008 06:26:38 AM
Old 05-15-2008
Read value from particular position in file.

From unix script i want to read string value in a file from position 2 to 5. which command can be used or any alternatives there??

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

read space filled file and replace text at specific position

Hi I have a spaced filled file having records like below: What I want is to read line having RT3 at position 17-19 then go to position 2651 check the 18 characters (might be space filled till 18 characters). This position should have a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: COD
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read file until certain line position

let's say I have this file format and another file i only want to get the lines between "test" and "*", so how do I do that and then assign to a variable with a space in between? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: finalight
5 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

read position mouse cursor

Hi to all! I'm a teacher of maths and physics in an italian high school in Milan, Italy. I need a simple program that read the position of mouse cursor in function of time and write the coordinates in a text file. The time resolution have to be something like 1/10 sec or better (I have to know... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris75
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read columns from file by position

Hello , i have a fixed-length record file where each column has a specific position. how can retrive two or more column based on their positions in the file ? Thank you (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alain.kazan
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving first position in a file to the last position

hi, I have a file which consists of some records: 2010_06_4010093_001_001|10|ABCDEFGH|9|4010093||0040400||31.12.2009|S|O|X||||20100602093851-31.12.2009|XXBBFC|EFG||||00001| 2010_06_4010162_001_001|11|ABCDEFGH|9|4010162||0040400||31.12.2009|S|O|X||||20100602093851-31.12.2009|XXBBFC|EFG||||00002|... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pparthiv
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove text from n position to n position sed/awk

I want to remove text from nth position to nth position couple of times in same line my line is "hello is there anyone can help me with this question" I need like this ello is there anyone can help me with question 'h' is removed and 'this' removed from the line. I want to do this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: elamurugu
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need command or script to print all lines from 2nd position to last but one position

hi guys, i want command or script to display the content of file from 2nd position to last but one position of a file abcdefghdasdasdsd 123,345,678,345,323 434,656,656,656,656 678,878,878,989,545 4565656667,65656 i want to display the same above file without first and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemanthsaikumar
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read data from tab delimited file after a specific position?

Hi Experts, I have a tab deliminated file as below myfile.txt Local Group Memberships *Administrators *Guests I need data in below format starting from 4th position. myfile1.txt Administrators Guests the above one is just an example and there could... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Litu1988
15 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a string at a particular position and replace with blank based on position

Hi, I have a file with multiple lines(fixed width dat file). I want to search for '02' in the positions 45-46 and if available, in that lines, I need to replace value in position 359 with blank. As I am new to unix, I am not able to figure out how to do this. Can you please help me to achieve... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradhikshan
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to count matched string then check again from last read position

Hi all, I am currently trying to figure out how can i capture a particular string from a log file, then search again but from the last line it read before onward. Basically let's say that the check runs every 5 mins via cron, counting the number of matched strings "Cannot assign requested... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
5 Replies
seek(n) 						       Tcl Built-In Commands							   seek(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
seek - Change the access position for an open channel SYNOPSIS
seek channelId offset ?origin? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Changes the current access position for channelId. ChannelId must be an identifier for an open channel such as a Tcl standard channel (stdin, stdout, or stderr), the return value from an invocation of open or socket, or the result of a channel creation command provided by a Tcl extension. The offset and origin arguments specify the position at which the next read or write will occur for channelId. Offset must be an integer (which may be negative) and origin must be one of the following: start The new access position will be offset bytes from the start of the underlying file or device. current The new access position will be offset bytes from the current access position; a negative offset moves the access position back- wards in the underlying file or device. end The new access position will be offset bytes from the end of the file or device. A negative offset places the access position before the end of file, and a positive offset places the access position after the end of file. The origin argument defaults to start. The command flushes all buffered output for the channel before the command returns, even if the channel is in nonblocking mode. It also discards any buffered and unread input. This command returns an empty string. An error occurs if this command is applied to channels whose underlying file or device does not support seeking. Note that offset values are byte offsets, not character offsets. Both seek and tell operate in terms of bytes, not characters, unlike read. EXAMPLES
Read a file twice: set f [open file.txt] set data1 [read $f] seek $f 0 set data2 [read $f] close $f # $data1 == $data2 if the file wasn't updated Read the last 10 bytes from a file: set f [open file.data] # This is guaranteed to work with binary data but # may fail with other encodings... fconfigure $f -translation binary seek $f -10 end set data [read $f 10] close $f SEE ALSO
file(n), open(n), close(n), gets(n), tell(n), Tcl_StandardChannels(3) KEYWORDS
access position, file, seek Tcl 8.1 seek(n)