Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Processes by Actual names
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Processes by Actual names Post 302194739 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 13th of May 2008 04:54:43 PM
Old 05-13-2008
Code:
w -s | awk 'BEGIN { getline; getline } {print $0}' | cut -c1-8,16-

You may need to alter the "16" to another number to get exactly what you want.
Your output of w -s may vary from mine.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Need actual bootpd for solaris

Hi everybody, i have downloaded some archieves but i couldn't compile it without errors. please help... where can i find a bootp that works?! my hardware: sparc prozessor with solaris 8 (5.8 (2.8)) thanks Johnny (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnnypark
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Monitoring Processes - Killing hung processes

Is there a way to monitor certain processes and if they hang too long to kill them, but certain scripts which are expected to take a long time to let them go? Thank you Richard (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukndoit
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Processes by User's actual names

Hi All I am being trained in unix and am tryin to write a script for listing the user Processes by user's names exactly the following manner WITHOUT USING A TEMPORARY FILE or SED OR AWK! The format of the output I want is: James Hallan PID TTY TIME CMD 31799 pts/3 00:00:00 vim 31866... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kartikkumar84@g
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Processes by User's names

Hi All I am being trained in unix and am tryin to write a script for listing the user Processes by user's names exactly the following manner WITHOUT USING A TEMPORARY FILE or SED OR AWK! The format of the output I want is: Code: James Hallan PID TTY TIME CMD 31799 pts/3 00:00:00 vim ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kartikkumar84@g
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Identifying and grouping OS processes and APP processes

Hi Is there an easy way to identify and group currently running processes into OS processes and APP processes. Not all applications are installed as packages. Any free tools or scripts to do this? Many thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilsonee
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the actual process name

Dear All I have created customisation appliaction for my application process which look likes below, 364688 ach_outbound -proc nla_acho_equ_01 -format EQUENS0001 DEQ WAIT 1167452 listener -p 42662 hostget_server -proc at_vld 11874 at_vld IDLE 1560634 listener -p 11870 menu IDLE... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Following Symlinks to Actual Script

I need to have my script know what directory it's in, even if it's run from a symlink located elsewhere. Here's what I've come up with, for the benefit of anyone with a similar need, but I'm also interested to know if there's a more elegant solution. I'd rather not get into awk-land, but I couldn't... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffclough
2 Replies

8. AIX

Trying to verify actual switchport speed

Connecting network adapter from 100MB switchport to a 1GB switchport. Trying to verify actual switchport speed. While connected to 100MB switchport lsattr -R -l ent0 -a media_speed shows: 10_Half_Duplex 10_Full_Duplex 100_Half_Duplex 100_Full_Duplex 1000_Full_Duplex Auto_Negotiation ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: landog
2 Replies

9. HP-UX

Actual date minus six months (HP UX)

Hi there, is it possible to get the actual date minux six months with just a simple command? It's easy with Linux but on HP Unix (for me) impossible ;) Best wishes (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: System
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

SVN for actual VirtualHost

hi, Earlier I had this thread posted on "UNIX for Experts" Group here in unix.com, but somehow no one bothered to respond, so I thought someone might be able to help me here. In short, I have to make accessible a directory via SVN to all 5 developers, call it /var/www/html/beta3 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: busyboy
0 Replies
GETDELIM(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					       GETDELIM(3)

NAME
getdelim, getline -- read a delimited record from a stream LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> ssize_t getdelim(char ** restrict lineptr, size_t * restrict n, int delimiter, FILE * restrict stream); ssize_t getline(char ** restrict lineptr, size_t * restrict n, FILE * restrict stream); DESCRIPTION
The getdelim() function reads from the stream until it encounters a character matching delimiter, storing the input in *lineptr. The buffer is NUL-terminated and includes the delimiter. The delimiter character must be representable as an unsigned char. If *n is non-zero, then *lineptr must be pre-allocated to at least *n bytes. The buffer should be allocated dynamically; it must be possible to free(3) *lineptr. getdelim() ensures that *lineptr is large enough to hold the input, updating *n to reflect the new size. The getline() function is equivalent to getdelim() with delimiter set to the newline character. RETURN VALUES
The getdelim() and getline() functions return the number of characters read, including the delimiter. If no characters were read and the stream is at end-of-file, the functions return -1. If an error occurs, the functions return -1 and the global variable errno is set to indi- cate the error. The functions do not distinguish between end-of-file and error, and callers must use feof(3) and ferror(3) to determine which occurred. EXAMPLES
The following code fragment reads lines from a file and writes them to standard output. char *line = NULL; size_t linesize = 0; ssize_t linelen; while ((linelen = getline(&line, &linesize, fp)) != -1) fwrite(line, linelen, 1, stdout); if (ferror(fp)) perror("getline"); ERRORS
[EINVAL] lineptr or n is a NULL pointer. [EOVERFLOW] More than SSIZE_MAX characters were read without encountering the delimiter. The getdelim() and getline() functions may also fail and set errno for any of the errors specified in the routines fflush(3), malloc(3), read(2), stat(2), or realloc(3). SEE ALSO
ferror(3), fgets(3), fopen(3) STANDARDS
The getdelim() and getline() functions conform to IEEE Std 1003.1-2008 (``POSIX.1''). BSD
June 30, 2010 BSD