Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Working of file command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Working of file command Post 302194648 by fabtagon on Tuesday 13th of May 2008 11:41:17 AM
Old 05-13-2008
Generally file command takes a look inside the file and guesses based on heuristics or magic bytes (for formats that have some).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

/etc/profile file edited. No command working

I have X4500 and I created a user. I wanted to give him root privileges and for editing the sudoers files I typed visudo sudoers. But it said visudo command not found. After googling I found that we need to set path in etc/profile. I edited that and put the following command ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharu_sri
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to send working command to a specified file or desktop

Hi Is there any way to save the command using on the terminal to a specified file with out typing it in a word. for ex. awk '{print $1)' input.txt Is it possible to save (in wordpad or microsoftword) and send the text of the command "awk '{print $1)' input.txt" to a targetted file in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: repinementer
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help! command working ok when executed in command line, but fails when run inside a script!

Hi everyone, when executing this command in unix: echo "WM7 Fatal Alerts:", $(cat query1.txt) > a.csvIt works fine, but running this command in a shell script gives an error saying that there's a syntax error. here is content of my script: tdbsrvr$ vi hc.sh "hc.sh" 22 lines, 509... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4dirk1
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cp command not working in script for non unix file

Piece of code in sh file ------------------------ echo "lalit test bef" which cp cp $l_options $srcdirfile $destdirfile echo "lalit test after" echo "**************************options below" echo "loption $l_options" echo "src $srcdirfile" echo "destinat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalitpct
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command on .DAT file not working?

Hi All, I am trying to run awk command on .DAT file and it is not working. The same command is working on .txt file: Contents of the file ZZ_55555555_444444_ZZZZZZ_7777777_888_99.DAT: HEADER|ZZ_55555555_444444_ZZZZZZ_7777777_888_99.DAT... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagar.cumar
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maxdepth command not working in AIX.Need alternative solution for this command

Hi All, I am trying to select 30 days older files under current directory ,but not from subdirectory using below command. find <Dir> -type f -mtime + 30 This command selecting all the files from current directory and also from sub directory . I read some documention through internet ,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kommineni
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat command not working to display Mac file in Ubuntu

Hi, Recently I got a .txt file from Mac user. when I try to open it in my Ubuntu machine using cat command it is not displaying any content of file however I can see the content using vi. Anyone know How to see its content using cat as I have to process it in my shell script. Thanks in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: diehard
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed working on command line but file unchanged when execute with Shell script

I have a simple task to replace unix line feed end of line characters with carriage returns. When I run the following “change file in place” sed instruction from the command line all the Line feeds are successfully replaced with Carriage returns. sed -i 's/$/\r/' lf_file.txt But that same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hawkman2k
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command not working for me to change text in a file

UNIX gurus I need your help with the following (The server is an AIX box). I have a text file with the following information: ******************************************************** SOME LINES case :WORD1 SOME LINES :WORD2 SOME LINES :WORD3 SOME LINES esac SOME LINES... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: curiousmal
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute ssh command with additional terminal command to any remote user not working script

Hello i am having an issue with bash script and this is the code now=$(cat hosts1.txt | awk '{print $2;}') while read n ;do ssh root@$now 'useradd test1; echo -e "test1\ntest1" | passwd test1 && echo "test1 ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL" >> /etc/sudoers' When i execute only part with cat, it... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomislav91
8 Replies