Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers split files into specified number of output files Post 302194585 by era on Tuesday 13th of May 2008 07:59:59 AM
Old 05-13-2008
The positional parameters are in $1 $2 $3 etc but if you are invoking the script with redirection, there is no positional parameter, and no file name, just standard input.

Code:
vnix$ ./myscript file.txt oops   #  inside myscript, $1 is "file.txt" and $2 is "oops"
vnix$ ./myscript   # inside myscript, no file name is known; input is from standard input (terminal)
vnix$ ./myscript <file.txt   # again, inside myscript, no file name is known; input is redirected to come from file.txt

Last edited by era; 05-13-2008 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: Add enlightening (?) example

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

split a file into a specified number of files

I have been googling on the 'split' unix command to see if it can split a large file into 'n' number of files. Can anyone spare an example or a code snippet? Thanks, - CB (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChicagoBlues
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split single file into multiple files based on the number in the column

Dear All, I would like to split a file of the following format into multiple files based on the number in the 6th column (numbers 1, 2, 3...): ATOM 1 N GLY A 1 -3.198 27.537 -5.958 1.00 0.00 N ATOM 2 CA GLY A 1 -2.199 28.399 -6.617 1.00 0.00 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomasl
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to split files based on number of lines

I am getting a few gzip files into a folder by doing ftp to another server. Once I get them I move them to another location .But before that I need to make sure each gzip is not more than 5000 lines and split it up . The files I get are anywhere from 500 lines to 10000 lines in them and is in gzip... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gubbu
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split single file into n number of files

Hi, I am new to unix. we have a requirement here to split a single file into multiples files based on the number of people available for processing. So i tried my hand at writing some code as below. #!/bin/bash var1=`wc -l $filename` var2=$var1/$splitno split -l $var2 $1 Please help me... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: quirkguy
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

split a csv file into specified number of files (not lines)

hi, i really need it ...it's not simple to explain but as it's part of a crontab i can't split the file manually...and the file can change every day so the lines are not a good base. example: how to split 1 csv file in 15 files? thank you very much regards :b: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 7stars
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to split the files based on the number of lines in it

Hello Friends, Can anyone help me for the below requirement. I am having a file called Input.txt. My requirement is first check the count that is wc -l input.txt If the result of the wc -l Input.txt is less than 10 then don't split the Input.txt file. Where as if Input.txt >= 10 the split... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaya kumar
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding file extensions to split output files

Hello, I've searched this forum and others for a solution to my problem but nothing seems just right, I'm hoping I can get some help (seems like this should be easy, and I apologize if I've missed something on the forum): I have several large .fastq DNA sequence files (~20million reads,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ljk
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a folder with huge number of files in n folders

We have a folder XYZ with large number of files (>350,000). how can i split the folder and create say 10 of them XYZ1 to XYZ10 with 35,000 files each. (doesnt matter which files go where). (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: AlokKumbhare
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Split Command Generating Incomplete Output Files

Hello All, May i please know how do i ensure my split command would NOT generate incomplete output files like below, the last lines in each file is missing some columns or last line is complete. split -b 50GB File File_ File_aa |551|70210203|xxxxxxx|12/22/2010 20:44:58|11/01/2010... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ariean
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Automate splitting of files , scp files as each split completes and combine files on target server

i use the split command to split a one terabyte backup file into 10 chunks of 100 GB each. The files are split one after the other. While the files is being split, I will like to scp the files one after the other as soon as the previous one completes, from server A to Server B. Then on server B ,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaika
2 Replies
split(1)							   User Commands							  split(1)

NAME
split - split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split [-linecount | -l linecount] [-a suffixlength] [file [name]] split [-b n | nk | nm] [-a suffixlength] [file [name]] DESCRIPTION
The split utility reads file and writes it in linecount-line pieces into a set of output-files. The name of the first output-file is name with aa appended, and so on lexicographically, up to zz (a maximum of 676 files). The maximum length of name is 2 characters less than the maximum filename length allowed by the filesystem. See statvfs(2). If no output name is given, x is used as the default (output-files will be called xaa, xab, and so forth). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -linecount | -l linecount Number of lines in each piece. Defaults to 1000 lines. -a suffixlength Uses suffixlength letters to form the suffix portion of the filenames of the split file. If -a is not specified, the default suffix length is 2. If the sum of the name operand and the suffixlength option-argument would create a filename exceeding NAME_MAX bytes, an error will result; split will exit with a diagnostic message and no files will be created. -b n Splits a file into pieces n bytes in size. -b nk Splits a file into pieces n*1024 bytes in size. -b nm Splits a file into pieces n*1048576 bytes in size. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file The path name of the ordinary file to be split. If no input file is given or file is -, the standard input will be used. name The prefix to be used for each of the files resulting from the split operation. If no name argument is given, x will be used as the prefix of the output files. The combined length of the basename of prefix and suffixlength cannot exceed NAME_MAX bytes. See OPTIONS. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of split when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of split: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Standard |See standards(5). | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csplit(1), statvfs(2), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 16 Apr 1999 split(1)