Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: test for function name?
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users test for function name? Post 302194488 by era on Tuesday 13th of May 2008 03:05:35 AM
Old 05-13-2008
That's a Korn shellism I believe; in Bash the roughly equivalent builtin is type -- I think that's in POSIX too?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

C function to test string or integer

Hi everyone , Is there any predefined C function that tests whether an input is string or an integer? Thank's in advance :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: qqq
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

function to test if file is open

I need to write a function that will work in sh/ksh shell that will test to see if a file has already been opened for writting by another user has anyone written something like this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnsonbryce
3 Replies

3. Programming

C function to test existence of a login

Hi everybody, I need to check in C program whether a given login is known on the system. Is there any system function that could do this ? So far, all I could find is getpwnam(), which answers my problem by parsing the local password database. But won't work if a user is authenticated by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xavier054
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test on string containing spacewhile test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = quitC then break fi d

This is the code: while test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = stop then break fi done I read a command on every loop an execute it. I check if the string equals the word stop to end the loop,but it say that I gave too many arguments to test. For example echo hello. Now the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Max89
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnjerome
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

explanation of test function

I have found a code some where, which looks like if (test $value) then <do something> fi I am not understanding what is test doing here. I have seen test with !,-eq, -e etc. But, the above appears to be a new one to me. Can anyone please expalin me. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mady135
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test function not working

i am writing the following snippet and cannot figure out why the variable measType remains 0. it should be 1 I also tried "\#analog" and '\#analog' in the test statement and it still doesn't work. What is going on? bash$ measType=0 bash$ read line < 2iconfig.ini bash$ echo $line #analog... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: oahmad
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wrong test interpretation for simple function.

Hello everyone, I have written simple script below to check if ip is added to interface #!/usr/local/bin/bash IFCONFIG="/sbin/ifconfig" SERVICE="/usr/sbin/service" IP="79.137.X.X" GREP=$(${IFCONFIG} | grep ${IP}) ip_quantity_check () { echo ${GREP} | wc -l } if ];... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bryn1u
2 Replies
TIME(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   TIME(1)

NAME
time -- time command execution SYNOPSIS
time [-lp] utility DESCRIPTION
The time utility executes and times utility. After the utility finishes, time writes the total time elapsed, the time consumed by system overhead, and the time used to execute utility to the standard error stream. Times are reported in seconds. Available options: -l The contents of the rusage structure are printed. -p The output is formatted as specified by IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). Some shells may provide a builtin time command which is similar or identical to this utility. Consult the builtin(1) manual page. DIAGNOSTICS
The time utility shall exit with one of the following values: 1-125 An error occurred in the time utility. 126 The utility was found but could not be invoked. 127 The utility could not be found. Otherwise, the exit status of time shall be that of utility. SEE ALSO
builtin(1), csh(1), getrusage(2) FILES
/usr/include/sys/resource.h STANDARDS
The time utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). BUGS
The granularity of seconds on microprocessors is crude and can result in times being reported for CPU usage which are too large by a second. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD