Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting First occurence of character in a file Post 302194408 by dhanamurthy on Monday 12th of May 2008 09:51:45 PM
Old 05-12-2008
First Occurence of character in a file

Hi
I tried with
cat filename|sed '^$d'|head -1

Even the examples provided by you did work.
Thank you so much.

Regards
Dhana

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting occurence of a particular character on each line

Hi, I have the following data in a flat file: abcd_efgh_ijkl_20080522.dat|20080602222508|1357 abcd_efgh_ijkl_20080522.dat|20080602222508|1357 abcd_efgh_ijkl_20080522.dat|20080602222508|1357 I need to check the no. of occurence of "|" (pipe) on each line and the output should look like below:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hey_mak
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to count the occurence of a character in a line

Suppose i have data like :- 1,2,3,4,5 a,b,c x,y,z,t I want to count the occurence of , (comma) in every line. Waiting for a solution.:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumit207
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to count the occurence of a character in a line

Suppose i have data like :- 1,2,3,4,5 a,b,c x,y,z,t I want to count the occurence of , (comma) in every line. Waiting for a solution. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumit207
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find index of last occurence of a character within a string

I need to find the index of last '|' (highlighted in bold) in awk : |ifOraDatabase.Lastservererr<>0then|iferr_flag<>0then|end if Please suggest a way... Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: joyan321
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to identify the occurence of a pattern between a unique character?

hi, is it possible to find the number of occurences of a pattern between two paranthesis. for e.g i have a file as below. >>{ >>hi >>GoodMorning >>how are you? >>} >>is it good, >>tell me yes, if it is good In the above file, its clear the occurence of word "Good"... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: divak
17 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of character occurence but not from quotation marks

I have the following string: 31-01-2012, 09:42:37;OK;94727132638;"Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1)";3G;WAP;I need a script which is counting the occurrence of semicolons ( ; ) but exclude the ones from the quotation marks. In the string given as example there are 8 semicolons but the script... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: calinlicj
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Find and replace till nth occurence of a special character

Hi, I have a requirement to search for a pattern in each line in a file and remove the in between words till the 3rd occurrence of double quote ("). Ex: CREATE TABLE "SCHEMANAME"."AMS_LTV_STATUS" (Note: "SCHEMANAME" may changes for different schemas. Its not a fixed value) I need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyaatcgi
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting based on occurence of a Character at fixed position

I have a requirement where i need to split a file based on occurence of a character which is present at a fixed position. Description is as below: 1. The file will be more than 1 Lakh records. 2. Each line will be of fixed length of 987 characters. 3. At position 28 in each line either 'C' or... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neelkanth
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - remove begin of line up to the third and including occurence of character

hello. How to remove all characters in a line from first character ( a $ ) until and including the third occurrence of that character ( $ ). Any help is welcome. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract whole word preceding a specific character pattern with first occurence of the pattern

Hello. Here is a file contents : declare -Ax NEW_FORCE_IGNORE_ARRAY=(="§" ="§" ="§" ="§" ="§" .................. ="§"Here is a pattern =I want to extract 'NEW_FORCE_IGNORE_ARRAY' which is the whole word before the first occurrence of pattern '=' Is there a better solution than mine :... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies
STRSUB(3pub)						       C Programmer's Manual						      STRSUB(3pub)

NAME
strsub - substitute first occurence of pattern with another string SYNOPSIS
#include <publib.h> char *strsub(char *str, const char *pat, const char *sub); DESCRIPTION
strsub finds the first occurence of the pattern pat in the string str (using a method similar to strstr(3), i.e., no regular expressions), and replaces it with sub. If pat does not occur in str, no substitution is made. Of course, if sub is an empty string, the pattern is deleted from the string. RETURN VALUE
strsub returns a pointer to the first character after the substitution, or NULL if no substitution was made. EXAMPLE
To substitute up to two occurences of "foo" with "bar" in a line, one might do the following. p = strsub(line, "foo", "bar"); if (p != NULL) strsub(line, "foo", "bar"); SEE ALSO
publib(3), strstr(3), strgsub(3) AUTHOR
Lars Wirzenius (lars.wirzenius@helsinki.fi) Publib C Programmer's Manual STRSUB(3pub)