Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers process mutliple files in the same directory Post 302194262 by Franklin52 on Monday 12th of May 2008 02:43:22 PM
Old 05-12-2008
It's against the rules to double posts questions, proceed here:

https://www.unix.com/shell-programmin...#post302194256

Thread closed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rouge process wiping files from a directory

I'm hoping you guys (the experts) can help me. We have a sweep directory (/opt/application/sweep) critical to our application process. The application will lay down a file in that directory, then about 15 seconds later a post process will come along and pick that file up and continue processing.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedrict
2 Replies

2. AIX

loop through the directory for files and sort by date and process the first file

hello i have a requirement where i have a direcotry in which i get files in the format STOCKS.20080114.dat STOCKS.20080115.dat STOCKS.20080117.dat STOCKS.20080118.dat i need to loop through the directory and sort by create date descending order and i need to process the first file. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsdev_123
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please Help:Need to Split the file into mutliple files depends on the KEY field value

Hi Gurus, I am new to UNIX(HP). my requirmnet is File needs to needs to be split into multiple files dependa on one key value. example 1 abc 333 us 2 bbc 444 ch 5 nnn 333 kk 7 hhh 555 ll 3 hhh 333 hh now the requirment is line with 333 should be copied into test1.txt and... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: arund_01
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

mutliple files in the same directory

I have over 900 files that have the same name except for a unique numeric assignment. For all files I would like to cut the 2nd column and paste all into one new file. All in bash. sample input format for each file: 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 sample command for what I want to do: cut -d' ' -f2... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: epi8
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help on Mulitple files mutliple actions

Hi all, I have mistkanely gzipped twice an entire folder and sub folders, and also renamed the files during that process. I am trying to undo this, and I need help to create the batch to work on it. All folders are under my images directory, I have a output.txt file that holds all the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saariko
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with mutliple sed

Hi I'm working on a file which looks like: 00001| |XXX|ABCD|27-SEP-1983|31-DEC-2099|Name|00001|N| |31|L| | | | |25-AUG-1990 I need to change the date format from DD-MMM-YYYY to MM/DD/YYYY So i using cat <filename> | sed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alim
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete all lines with string, process all files in directory

Simply, I have a directory of text files and I need to delete every line in every file containing a specific string. I want to write the modified files to an empty sub directory. I can't seem to get the sed command to delete the lines containing the string, and not just the string, in other... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process files in a directory and move them

I have a directory e2e_ms_xfer/cent01 this contains the multiple files some of which will be named below with unique date time stamps e2e_ms_edd_nom_CCYYMMDD_HHMM.csv What I want to do is in a loop 1) Get the oldest file 2) Rename 3) Move it up one level from e2e_ms_xfer/cent01 to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: andymay
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Load mutliple files into Netezza table

Hi All, I get ~1000 files everyday and the current unix script process one file at a time... like it unzips the file, loads into table . This process will repeat how many ever files were present in the directory. I was wondering can we process multiple files (like unzipping and loading X amount... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajasony
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directory containing files,Print names of the files in the directory that are exactly same content.

Given a directory containing say a few thousand files, please output a list of all the names of the files in the directory that are exactly the same, i.e. have the same contents. func(a_directory_name) output -> {“matches”: , ... ]} e.g. func(“/home/my/files”) where the directory... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
7 Replies
PASTE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  PASTE(1)

NAME
paste - paste multiple files together SYNOPSIS
paste [-s] [-d list] file... OPTIONS
-d Set delimiter used to separate columns to list. -s Print files sequentially, file k on line k. EXAMPLES
paste file1 file2 # Print file1 in col 1, file2 in col 2 paste -s f1 f2 # Print f1 on line 1 and f2 on line 2 paste -d : file1 file2 # Print the lines separated by a colon DESCRIPTION
Paste concatenates corresponding lines of the given input files and writes them to standard output. The lines of the different files are separated by the delimiters given with the option -s. If no list is given, a tab is substituted for every linefeed, except the last one. If end-of-file is hit on an input file, subsequent lines are empty. Suppose a set of k files each has one word per line. Then the paste output will have k columns, with the contents of file j in column j. If the -s flag is given, then the first file is on line 1, the second file on line 2, etc. In effect, -s turns the output sideways. If a list of delimiters is given, they are used in turn. The C escape sequences , , \, and are used for linefeed, tab, backslash, and the null string, respectively. PASTE(1)