Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Merging 2 .CSV files in Unix
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Merging 2 .CSV files in Unix Post 302193339 by chachabronson on Friday 9th of May 2008 05:17:52 AM
Old 05-09-2008
Thanks for your help, however i am unable to get teh code above to work.
I have had some assistance with the above from anothe forumite who gave me the following code:

#!/bin/ksh
cat file1.csv file2.csv >> temp
grep X temp | cut -d"," -f1 | sort -u > final2
while read line
do
line1=`grep $line file2.csv`
if [ $? -eq 0 ]
then
echo $line1 >> final_out
else
line2=`grep $line file1.csv`
echo $line2 >> final_out
fi

done < final2

If anyone could explain in detail as to what is happening in the loop that would be great... i have tested the above and it works like a dream but i want to learn rather than just use code. I am a complet novice so would like a description in a basic level which will help me understand for future.

Thanks to everyone who has helped so far

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merging Non-Empty Columns within a CSV

I am trying to place all my data in a single row (order doesn't matter). Note I am a Unix novice, so please go easy on me. Here is an example Raw data: row# (1) 45 64 23 (2) 32 1 6 56 (3) 32 45 Needs to be like this: row# (1) 45 (2) 32 (3) 32 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmann1123
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging files to create CSV file

Hi, I have different files of the same type, as: Time: 100 snr: 88 perf: 10 other: 222 Each of these files are created periodically. What I need to do is to merge all of them into one but having the following form: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravendark
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merging two CSV files by 3 primary keys (columns)

Hi there! I have the following problem: I have a set of files called rates_op_yyyyddmm with the format below (which corresponds to the file rates_op_20090130) 30-JAN-2009,ED,FEB09,C,96.375,,,0,,,,,,2.375,,,,,, 30-JAN-2009,ED,FEB09,C,96.5,,,0,,,,,,2.25,,,,,,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pep Puigvert
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching lines across multiple csv files and merging a particular field

I have about 20 CSV's that all look like this: "","","","","","","","","","","","","","","",""What I've been told I need to produce is the exact same thing, but with each file now containing the start_code from every other file where the email matches. It doesn't matter if any of the other... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Demosthenes
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging all (48) CSV files from a directory

I have 48 csv files in my directory that all have this form: Storm Speed (mph),43.0410781151 Storm motion direction (degrees),261.580774982 MLCAPE,2450.54098661 MLCIN,-9.85040520279 MLLCL,230 MLLFC,1070.39871 MLEL,207.194689294 MLCT,Not enough data Sbcape,2203.97617778... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RissaR
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging Very large CSV files in Unix

Hi, I have two very large CSV files, which I want to merge (equi-join) based on a key (column). One of the file (say F1) would have ~30 MM records and 700 columns. The other file (~f2) would have same # of records and lesser columns (say 50). I want to create an output file joining on a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: student_007
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with merging two CSV files

Hi, I have following 2 CSV files file1.txt A1,B1,C1,D1,E1 A2,B2,C2,D2,E2 A3,B3,C3,D3,E3 .... file2.txt A1,B1,P1,Q1,R1,S1,T1,U1 A1,B1,P2,Q2,R2,S2,T2,U2 A1,B1,P3,Q3,R3,S3,T3,U3 A2,B2,X1,Y1,Z1,I1,J1,K1 A2,B2,X2,Y2,Z2,I2,J2,K2 A2,B2,X3,Y3,Z3,I3,J3,K3 A2,B2,X4,Y4,Z4,I4,J4,K4... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnoutmore99
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging Files in UNIX shell script

I have the urge to merge some files using unix shell script but I'm very new using this language and I haven't succeeded yet. The requirement is to merge the header, body and footer into one file with the name "ANY-NAME" in below example. To identify which files should be merged, I have flagged... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: black_soul
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging two files in UNIX

Hi Experts, Need urgent solution for a problem. I have two files file1 and file2. file1 is tab separated and file2 is comma separated. I need to merge both the files into single file based on CUST_ID by retaining the headers of file1 Matching CUST_IDs should be placed one below the other in... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharathbangalor
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging fields in CSV

Hi experts, I have a csv file which has one field (ID) repeated multiple times with corresponding other field values. I need to convert this file in a format where for a ID all other values has to be present in single field. For Eg : Here in below file ID 1 is repeated 3 times with different... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharathbangalor
7 Replies
ifpps(8)							netsniff-ng-toolkit							  ifpps(8)

NAME
ifpps - fetch and format kernel network statistics SYNOPSIS
ifpps -d|--dev <netdev> [-t|--interval <sec>][-p|--promisc][-c|--term] [-C|--csv][-H|--csv-tablehead][-l|--loop][-v|--version][-h|--help] DESCRIPTION
A tiny tool to provide top-like reliable networking statistics. ifpps reads out the 'real' kernel statistics, so it does not give erroneous statistics on high I/O load. OPTIONS
ifpps --dev eth0 Fetch eth0 interface statistics. ifpps --dev eth0 --interval 60 --csv Output eth0 interface statistics every minute in CSV format. OPTIONS
-h|--help Print help text and lists all options. -v|--version Print version. -d|--dev <netdev> Device to fetch statistics for i.e., eth0. -p|--promisc Put the device in promiscuous mode -t|--interval <time> Refresh time in sec (default 1 sec) -c|--term Output to terminal -C|--csv Output in CSV format. E.g. post-processing with Gnuplot et al. -H|--csv-tablehead Print CSV table head. -l|--loop Loop terminal output. AUTHOR
Written by Daniel Borkmann <daniel@netsniff-ng.org> DOCUMENTATION
Documentation by Emmanuel Roullit <emmanuel@netsniff-ng.org> BUGS
Please report bugs to <bugs@netsniff-ng.org> 2012-06-29 ifpps(8)