Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers sdiff issue - not gathering correct difference Post 302192644 by thegant on Wednesday 7th of May 2008 01:50:44 PM
Old 05-07-2008
sdiff issue - not gathering correct difference

Hi there,
I am hoping someone can help!
I am doing a simple difference between two files using the sdiff command..
sdiff -s file1 file2

this works, but for some words it doesn't...
Here is an example:

fha 2B01 fha 2B01
fmaa 3A01 fmaa 3A01
fox 4A46 | fmx 3A01
. > fox 4B01

ftds 1A06 ftds 1A06

For some crazy reason, sdiff thinks fox and fmx are the same..and outputs the second fox as different...

Anyone out there any ideas???
Thanks a million fot your time.
thegant

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sdiff problem

Hi, I'm having the following problem with the unix sdiff command. for example if I try sdiff <filename 1> <filename 2> Where filename 1 and filename 2 contain really long pathnames that I need to compare. The output I get will be 139 characters long which is the default. But an output of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruudrio
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sdiff ? problem

Hello, I'm using Sdiff to compare 2 files, I've used this before and it works fine and still does in some cases. But it seems to trip up when using combinations of alpha-numeric text. I created two simple files to test and as you can see it seems to trip up on the "gr55a" text, any ideas ? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cowpoke
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A more intelligent SDIFF

Hi all I have two files which are essentially the same. However the way an exponent is written is different (i.e. in 1 file, a particular number might be written as 1.43230000E+02 whereas in another it might be 1.4323E2). If I use SDIFF then the program will merely check the ASCII characters... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robbiegregg
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sdiff discrepancies

Hi All I have two large (similar) files that have a unique number in the first column...(the trade id) and then a value for that trade in the second column...delimited by "~". Here is a snippet of what the files look like 10030372~-410682.73 10030490~-4052867.73 10030646~-352592.21... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kbuttz
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sdiff without files

Hi, I'm trying to use sdiff by parsing the output of another command instead of the filename: sdiff <(echo test1) <(echo test2)However, this seems to cause my terminal session to stop working. If I use it with normal diff it works fine: ~$ diff <(echo test1) <(echo test2) 1c1 < test1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subbeh
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sdiff query

I wanted to ask can sdiff be used for comparing files which are present in different network?? If yes then how? Thanks in Advance!!!!!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhavanabahety
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sdiff command

Hi i am comparing file on 2 different machine with the help of script. however i am get below o/p ======= /usr/tmp ========= ======= /usr/tmp not a regular file i am not sure what does "not a regular file mean" . is it something serious, if yes then what i need to check or we can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptor
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gathering usage statistics

so i have a script that runs across many servers. i'd like to know how many times this script is being used on each server. the only straight forward, non-intrusive way i can think of doing this is to include a line in the script to make a webcall to a central server. and from that central... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
9 Replies

9. Programming

Sybase ASE: Query to find correct format issue.

Hi Team , I am new to Sybase Adaptive Server Enterprise/15.7 (ASE) and need some guidance to find the different values in serial format column. SELECT DISTINCT SERIAL_FORMAT FROM PRODUCTS It has values with below format which contains 12 digits hexadecimal characters with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perlbaby
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Sdiff

file1: USER:XACME\cn3937 User:XACME\z01220 User:XACME\z01404 User:XACME\z02102 User:XACME\U17234 File2: USER:XACME\lawson USER:XACME\cn7913 USER:XACME\cn8037 USER:XACME\cn8042 USER:XACME\cn8046 USER:XACME\u31645 USER:XACME\u19050 USER:XACME\U28715 USER:XACME\U17234 USER:XACME\cn3937... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: loktamann
2 Replies
Text::Context::EitherSide(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			    Text::Context::EitherSide(3pm)

NAME
Text::Context::EitherSide - Get n words either side of search keywords SYNOPSIS
use Text::Context::EitherSide; my $text = "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog"; my $context = Text::Context::EitherSide->new($text); $context->as_string("fox") # "... quick brown fox jumped over ..." $context->as_string("fox", "jumped") # "... quick brown fox jumped over the ..." my $context = Text::Context::EitherSide->new($text, context => 1); # 1 word on either side $context->as_string("fox", "jumped", "dog"); # "... brown fox jumped over ... lazy dog", Or, if you don't believe in all this OO rubbish: use Text::Context::EitherSide qw(get_context); get_context(1, $text, "fox", "jumped", "dog") # "... brown fox jumped over ... lazy dog" DESCRIPTION
Suppose you have a large piece of text - typically, say, a web page or a mail message. And now suppose you've done some kind of full-text search on that text for a bunch of keywords, and you want to display the context in which you found the keywords inside the body of the text. A simple-minded way to do that would be just to get the two words either side of each keyword. But hey, don't be too simple minded, because you've got to make sure that the list doesn't overlap. If you have the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog and you extract two words either side of "fox", "jumped" and "dog", you really don't want to end up with quick brown fox jumped over brown fox jumped over the the lazy dog so you need a small amount of smarts. This module has a small amount of smarts. EXPORTABLE
get_context This is primarily an object-oriented module. If you don't care about that, just import the "get_context" subroutine, and call it like so: get_context($num_of_words, $text, @words_to_find) and you'll get back a string with ellipses as in the synopsis. That's all that most people need to know. But if you want to do clever stuff... METHODS
new my $c = Text::Context::EitherSite->new($text [, context=> $n]); Create a new object storing some text to be searched, plus optionally some information about how many words on either side you want. (If you don't like the default of 2.) context $c->context(5); Allows you to get and set the number of the words on either side. as_sparse_list $c->as_sparse_list(@keywords) Returns the keywords, plus n words on either side, as a sparse list; the original text is split into an array of words, and non-contextual elements are replaced with "undef"s. (That's not actually how it works, but conceptually, it's the same.) as_list $c->as_list(@keywords) The same as "as_sparse_list", but single or multiple "undef"s are collapsed into a single ellipsis: (undef, "foo", undef, undef, undef, "bar") becomes ("...", "foo", "...", "bar") as_string $c->as_string(@keywords) Takes the "as_list" output above and joins them all together into a string. This is what most people want from "Text::Context::EitherSide". EXPORT "get_context" is available as a shortcut for Text::Context::EitherSide->new($text, context => $n)->as_string(@words); but needs to be explicitly imported. Nothing is exported by default. SEE ALSO
Text::Context is an even smarter way of extracting a contextual string. AUTHOR
Current maintainer: Tony Bowden Original author: Simon Cozens BUGS and QUERIES Please direct all correspondence regarding this module to: bug-Text-Context-EitherSide@rt.cpan.org COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 2002-2005 by Kasei Limited, http://www.kasei.com/ You may use and redistribute this module under the terms of the Artistic License 2.0. http://www.perlfoundation.org/artistic_license_2_0 perl v5.10.0 2009-05-04 Text::Context::EitherSide(3pm)