Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting basic script for yes and no answers Post 302192293 by Dave Miller on Tuesday 6th of May 2008 03:41:45 PM
Old 05-06-2008
Do you want someone here to write the script for you? Not gonna happen. However, if you write something, someone here can help yo figure out what went wrong if it doesn't work.

That said, here's some help to get you started:

Use the echo command to display something, the read comand to get a user reply, and the test function to check the reply.

YES. You CAN call another script (or command line function, or whatever) from within a script. And whether or not you need the complete path is dependent upon the $PATH of the user that is running it. Suffice to say, it can't hurt.

Note that in your brief logic, you have it saying that it started AFTER it finished! You should put that line ABOVE the line where you go to the other script.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic script?

All, I have a list of over 400 users that need certain directories created. These will be created in /users/$username on a system and I need a directory called chess under these directories that I create. Instead of me manually adding each one (mkdir /users/user1, mkdir /users/user1/chess)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kjbaumann
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need help with a basic script

a) Total number of words in the file. b) Total number of different words in the file. How can I use the translate and/or unique commands to accomplish this (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: EECSDAVE
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to provide "answers" to SSL Cert Request

Hello, I need assistance with creating a shell script to generate SSL Certificate Requests on remote hosts. Below is my stab at this, but I cannot figure out how to pass the requested arguments into the openssl command correctly. I have a major problem with redirecting the "answers" into the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: azvelocat
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script give answers by file

Hi, I am new in perl. I am running a perl installation script, its asking for paths and so many inputs. Can we provide that info by any file. so i can avoid the interactive installation. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priy
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select answers from multiple questions using shell script

I have a text file in this format Some lines.... Question no: 1 The question? A. Answer 1 B. Answer 2 C. Answer 3 D. Answer 4 Answer:B Some lines.... Question no: 2 The question? (choose 2) (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: zorrox
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to give multiple choices and a varying number of answers

Hello everybody, I use `case' quite a lot but , excellent as it is , it only gives one final result ; can anyone suggest a way whereas , say long lists of choices are given and I , or a user could select either one two or any number of results to be echoed . many thanks in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: V686
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a little help with my first shell script. Basic image resize script...

Hey everyone, just now joined because I didn't want to go onto Ubuntu forums and start asking about how to write shell scripts. Seems like this is a pretty active forum for exactly what I need. I'm trying to modify a shell script I found online, the end goal is to have it find all files in the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mozzles
9 Replies
SETUID(1)						      General Commands Manual							 SETUID(1)

NAME
setuid - run a command with a different uid. SYNOPSIS
setuid username|uid command [ args ] DESCRIPTION
Setuid changes user id, then executes the specified command. Unlike some versions of su(1), this program doesn't ever ask for a password when executed with effective uid=root. This program doesn't change the environment; it only changes the uid and then uses execvp() to find the command in the path, and execute it. (If the command is a script, execvp() passes the command name to /bin/sh for processing.) For example, setuid some_user $SHELL can be used to start a shell running as another user. Setuid is useful inside scripts that are being run by a setuid-root user -- such as a script invoked with super, so that the script can execute some commands using the uid of the original user, instead of root. This allows unsafe commands (such as editors and pagers) to be used in a non-root mode inside a super script. For example, an operator with permission to modify a certain protected_file could use a super command that simply does: cp protected_file temp_file setuid $ORIG_USER ${EDITOR:-/bin/vi} temp_file cp temp_file protected_file (Note: don't use this example directly. If the temp_file can somehow be replaced by another user, as might be the case if it's kept in a temporary directory, there will be a race condition in the time between editing the temporary file and copying it back to the protected file.) AUTHOR
Will Deich local SETUID(1)