Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Find the current cursor word in backward Post 302192202 by Yogesh Sawant on Tuesday 6th of May 2008 08:48:45 AM
Old 05-06-2008
check if this is what you are looking for:
while the cursor is at the word that you wish to search, press #
to continue searching backwards, press n

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can i search word that is under the cursor in VI

Hello all i know the standard way to search in Vi with "/" and "?" but is there any way to perform search on word that is under the cursor ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find a word in a file, and change a word beneath it ??

Hi all, I have a file with lines written somewhat like this. aaaa ccc aa linux browse = no xssxw cdcedc dcsdcd csdw police dwed dwd browse = no cdecec (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas027
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vi editor : Knowing the current cursor position

Hi All, In VI editor, to know the line number at any instant we use ctrl+g Similarly, to know the current coulmn number what shall we use?? If not direct key controls like ctrl+g, Is there any comands that could be executed in colon or ex mode of VI to know the current column position???... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramkrix
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Substitute single backward-slash with the double backward-slash

Hi, I have a path like this c:\test\sample\programs, i need to change thiis to c:\\test\\sample\\programs. How to perform this? I tried tr command but it didn't help me. Thanks Vijayan (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvictorvijayan
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace a word in all the files (that contain the word) under a directory

Hi Everyone, I am looking for a simple way for replacing all the files under a directory that use the server "xsgd1234dap" with "xsdr3423pap". For Example: In the Directory, $pwd /home/nick $ grep -l "xsgd1234dap" *.sh | wc -l 119 I have "119" files that are still using... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: filter
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find EXACT word in files, just the word: no prefix, no suffix, no 'similar', just the word

I have a file that has the words I want to find in other files (but lets say I just want to find my words in a single file). Those words are IDs, so if my word is ZZZ4, outputs like aaZZZ4, ZZZ4bb, aaZZZ4bb, ZZ4, ZZZ, ZyZ4, ZZZ4.8 (or anything like that) WON'T BE USEFUL. I need the whole word... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chicchan
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl lwp find word and print next word :)

hi all, I'm new there, I'm just playing with perl and lwp and I just successfully created a script for log in to a web site with post. I have a response but I would like to have something like this: I have in my response lines like: <div class="sender">mimi020</div> <some html code.....>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vogueestylee
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a file with a specific pattern for current sysdate & upon find email the details?

I need assistance with following requirement, I am new to Unix. I want to do the following task but stuck with file creation date(sysdate) Following is the requirement I need to create a script that will read the abc/xyz/klm folder and look for *.err files for that day’s date and then send an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PreetArul
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a word and increment the number in the word & save into new files

Hi All, I am looking for a perl/awk/sed command to auto-increment the numbers line in file, P1.tcl: run_build_model sparc_ifu_dec run_drc set_faults -model path_delay -atpg_effectiveness -fault_coverage add_delay_paths P1 set_atpg -abort_limit 1000 run_atpg -ndetects 1000 I would like... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jypark22
6 Replies
VIMTUTOR(1)						      General Commands Manual						       VIMTUTOR(1)

NAME
vimtutor - the Vim tutor SYNOPSIS
vimtutor [-g] [language] DESCRIPTION
Vimtutor starts the Vim tutor. It copies the tutor file first, so that it can be modified without changing the original file. The Vimtutor is useful for people that want to learn their first Vim commands. The optional argument -g starts vimtutor with gvim rather than vim, if the GUI version of vim is available, or falls back to Vim if gvim is not found. The optional [language] argument is the two-letter name of a language, like "it" or "es". If the [language] argument is missing, the lan- guage of the current locale will be used. If a tutor in this language is available, it will be used. Otherwise the English version will be used. Vim is always started in Vi compatible mode. FILES
/usr/share/vim/vim73/tutor/tutor[.language] The Vimtutor text file(s). /usr/share/vim/vim73/tutor/tutor.vim The Vim script used to copy the Vimtutor text file. AUTHOR
The Vimtutor was originally written for Vi by Michael C. Pierce and Robert K. Ware, Colorado School of Mines using ideas supplied by Charles Smith, Colorado State University. E-mail: bware@mines.colorado.edu. It was modified for Vim by Bram Moolenaar. For the names of the translators see the tutor files. SEE ALSO
vim(1) 2001 April 2 VIMTUTOR(1)