Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Command to release a port in AIX Post 302192039 by hemanshupatira on Tuesday 6th of May 2008 12:36:51 AM
Old 05-06-2008
This is a customized application running on AIX, using this port and this is specified in /etc/services. When ever the application starts it looks into /etc/services uses the specified port to come into service, unfortunately due to some bug, the application hangs and few of its processes goes into exiting state:

# ps -eaf | grep -i exiting
root 10996 53590 1 10:46:01 pts/1 0:00 grep -i exiting
- 12472 - - - <exiting>
- 22580 - - - <exiting>
- 23476 - - - <exiting>
#

After this the port get stuck and when I restart the application, it fails to start saying that the port is in use. So I have to edit the /etc/services file and change the port to another one.

Since the application get hang then and there, now on the system there are lots of port which are stuck.

Also ports are not getting cleared up by itself, even after the timeout. It remains in LISTEN mode for ever, unless the system is rebooted.

I beleive if there is a way to clear up the exitung processes without rebooting the system, then it will clear up the system.

Is there anyway to kill the exiting processes ???

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Release a port

Hi all, Its a gr8 pleasure being a member of this forum. Could anyone help me out re: How u release a port in Unix. Thanks in advance..! aces4u (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aces4u
2 Replies

2. AIX

How to open a port in AIX

Hi Guys, i am trying to open a port in AIX. but i am not able to get the command for this. AIX is not having the iptables file present. So please any body can tell me how to open a port in AIX... Thanks sanju (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanju_d1231
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

release a port

I'm trying to release a port 7601 I do a netstat -an which is returns *.7601 *.* 0 0 49152 0 LISTEN I assume 49152 is the process running the port. Is this correct? If so, how would I safely terminate the process? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: orahi001
2 Replies

4. AIX

Serial port in AIX

Hi, How can i configure my modem in AIX thru serial port (sa0-->tty0) I have two port serial card configured as sa0 I created tty1 which port is tty0 and which port is tty1 how can i know?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pchangba
1 Replies

5. AIX

Who's using my port in AIX

Hello Gurus, I was trying to find who's using my port and got below answer from a IBM website. But the problem with the below answer is I need a root to run the rmsock, is there any other alternative to find out who is using my port with out a root access?? 1. netstat -Aan | grep <port... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tenderfoot
1 Replies

6. AIX

How to find what process is using a port in AIX 5L and above.

There have been a lot of threads about how to find processes that are using a specific port on an AIX server. After long hours of research and reading countless "you can't do that" responses, I finally found the answer. YES IT CAN BE DONE! YES ITS EASY. NO, I DON'T KNOW WHY NO ONE GETS THIS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: troym72
2 Replies

7. AIX

Blocking/starting a Port in AIX 6.1

Hello Team, We are having weblogic which running on AIX 6.1 Lpar machine. We not enabled any firewall(IPSEC) in AIX level. Our weblogic is running on cluster.Whenever we stop/restart the cluster we would like to stop/start the port(by using command) which used by the weblogic. Please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
2 Replies

8. IP Networking

Tcp ip port open but no such process (merged: Release A Port)

i want to kill a tcp connection by killing its pid with netstat -an i got the tcp ip connection on port 5914 but when i type ps -a or ps-e there is not such process running on port 5914 is it possible that because i do not log on with proper user account i can not see that process running? (30 Replies)
Discussion started by: alinamadchian
30 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with AIX port limit

Hi guys, I have a problem need to solve urgently, please help me, any suggestion will be great. When my workmates installed a control-m agent in an AIX 6.1 OS, they got an error below: Port exceeded maximum allowed value. No available port found in the specified range up to 65535. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucas_0418
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to release port on AIX?

Hello all, I need your help with any command to release a port on AIX. Thanks for all. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mcipamo
5 Replies
SERVICES(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						       SERVICES(5)

NAME
services -- service name data base DESCRIPTION
The services file contains information regarding the known services available in the Internet. For each service a single line should be present with the following information: official service name port number protocol name aliases Items are separated by any number of blanks and/or tab characters. The port number and protocol name are considered a single item; a ``/'' is used to separate the port and protocol (e.g. ``512/tcp''). A ``#'' indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Service names may contain any printable character other than a field delimiter, newline, or comment character. If ``db'' is specified as source in the nsswitch.conf(5), /var/db/services.db is searched. The database in /var/db/services.db needs to be updated with services_mkdb(8) after changes to the services file have been applied. NIS INTERACTION
Access to the NIS services.byname map can be enabled by adding a single ``+'' on a line by itself in the /etc/services file. This causes the contents of the NIS services map to be inserted at the location where the ``+'' appears. FILES
/etc/services The services file resides in /etc. SEE ALSO
getservent(3), nsswitch.conf(5), services_mkdb(8) HISTORY
The services file format appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
A name server should be used instead of a static file. BSD
April 4, 2010 BSD