Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Diff with Regular Expressions Post 302191574 by jim mcnamara on Saturday 3rd of May 2008 06:33:30 AM
Old 05-03-2008
It looks like you have GNU diff. In info you will see
Quote:
--LTYPE-line-format=LFMT
Similar, but format LTYPE input lines with LFMT.

LTYPE is `old', `new', or `unchanged'.
GTYPE is LTYPE or `changed'.

GFMT may contain:

%< lines from FILE1

%> lines from FILE2

%= lines common to FILE1 and FILE2

%[-][WIDTH][.[PREC]]{doxX}LETTER
printf-style spec for LETTER
You can specify the number of characters in a changed line this way, it is very much like a printf format string - the "for LETTER" bit refers to the line type

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 05-03-2008 at 07:54 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

regular expressions in c++

How do I use the regular expressions in c++? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: szzz
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with regular expressions

I have following content in the file CancelPolicyMultiLingual3=U|PC3|EN RestaurantInfoCode1=U|restID1|1 ..... I am trying to use following matching extression \|(+) to get this PC3|EN restID1|1 Obviously it does not work. Any ideas? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: arushunter
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expressions

Hello, Let say I have a string with content "Free 100%". How can extract only "100" using ksh? I would this machanism to work if instead of "100" there is any kind of combination of numbers(ex. "32", "1238", "1"). I want to get only the digits. I have written something like this: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatever
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regular expressions

how to find for a file whose name has all characters in uppercase after 'project'? I tried this: find . -name 'project**.pdf' ./projectABC.pdf ./projectABC123.pdf I want only ./projectABC.pdf What is the regular expression that correponds to "all characters are capital"? thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with Regular Expressions

Hi, In ksh, I am trying to compare folder names having -141- in it's name. e.g.: 4567-141-8098 should match this expression '*-141-*' but, -141-2354 should fail when compared with '*-141-*' simlarly, abc should fail when compared with '*-141-*' I tried multiple things but nevertheless,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jidsh
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions

what elements does " /^/ " match? I did the test which indicates that it matches single lowercase character like 'a','b' etc. and '1','2' etc. But I really confused with that. Because, "/^abc/" matches strings like "abcedf" or "abcddddee". So, what does caret ^ really mean? Any response... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DavidHe
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expressions help

need a regex that matches when a number has a zero (0) at the end of it so like 10 20 120 30 330 1000 and so on (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxkid
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with regular expressions

I have a file that I'm trying to find all the cases of phone number extensions and deleting them. So input file looks like: abc x93825 def 13234 x52673 hello output looks like: abc def 13234 hello Basically delete lines that have 5 numbers following "x". I tried: x\(4) but it... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pxalpine
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions

Hi Ilove unix and alwyas trying to to learn unix,but i am weak in using regular expressions.can you please give me a littel brief discription that how can i understand them and how to use .your response could lead a great hand in my unix love. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj attri
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expressions

I need to pick a part of string lets stay started with specific character and end with specific character to replace using sed command the line is like this:my audio book 71-skhdfon1dufgjhgf8.wav' I want to move the characters beginning with - end before. I have different files with random... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: XP_2600
2 Replies
Algorithm::DiffOld(3pm) 				User Contributed Perl Documentation				   Algorithm::DiffOld(3pm)

NAME
Algorithm::DiffOld - Compute `intelligent' differences between two files / lists but use the old (<=0.59) interface. NOTE
This has been provided as part of the Algorithm::Diff package by Ned Konz. This particular module is ONLY for people who HAVE to have the old interface, which uses a comparison function rather than a key generating function. Because each of the lines in one array have to be compared with each of the lines in the other array, this does M*N comparisions. This can be very slow. I clocked it at taking 18 times as long as the stock version of Algorithm::Diff for a 4000-line file. It will get worse quadratically as array sizes increase. SYNOPSIS
use Algorithm::DiffOld qw(diff LCS traverse_sequences); @lcs = LCS( @seq1, @seq2, $comparison_function ); $lcsref = LCS( @seq1, @seq2, $comparison_function ); @diffs = diff( @seq1, @seq2, $comparison_function ); traverse_sequences( @seq1, @seq2, { MATCH => $callback, DISCARD_A => $callback, DISCARD_B => $callback, }, $comparison_function ); COMPARISON FUNCTIONS
Each of the main routines should be passed a comparison function. If you aren't passing one in, use Algorithm::Diff instead. These functions should return a true value when two items should compare as equal. For instance, @lcs = LCS( @seq1, @seq2, sub { my ($a, $b) = @_; $a eq $b } ); but if that is all you're doing with your comparison function, just use Algorithm::Diff and let it do this (this is its default). Or: sub someFunkyComparisonFunction { my ($a, $b) = @_; $a =~ m{$b}; } @diffs = diff( @lines, @patterns, &someFunkyComparisonFunction ); which would allow you to diff an array @lines which consists of text lines with an array @patterns which consists of regular expressions. This is actually the reason I wrote this version -- there is no way to do this with a key generation function as in the stock Algorithm::Diff. perl v5.10.1 2006-07-31 Algorithm::DiffOld(3pm)