Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: fork multiple shells
Top Forums Programming fork multiple shells Post 302190675 by mariaro on Wednesday 30th of April 2008 07:59:25 AM
Old 04-30-2008
I'm rewriting my post... It seems it got lost somehow.

Check the line while(--count). The "While" loop will exit when count is 1, as --count is evaluated to 0, so the child from childpids[0] isn't killed.

You can simply replace the "while" line with:
for(count-=1; count >= 0; count--)

Best regards!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shells

I have came across the definitions of these shells korn bourne c etc .. but honestly till now i din't get the exact difference between these threes , the advantages ..... can anyone pinpoint me where it actually lies ..... don;t include me answers like aliasing in c is posible and not in bourne ..... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dino_leix
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to open multiple shells while the scripts keeps running.

Hello, I've tried for a while now to run a bash script that continues to the end, while opening new shells as needed. I've tried xterm -e "somecommand"; & xterm -e " somecommand"; I've also tried screen -S "somecommand"; & screen -S "somecommand"; All without any luck, they... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Closed_Socket
5 Replies

3. Programming

Multiple process using fork()

I have a code which has four different process, each printing different message. I have provided it with user input (implemented using thread), depending on which the corresponding message from that process has to be printed.The code is shown below.when I run the pgm, it takes input such as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shashi
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

running Multiple terminals/shells

Hi, I'm looking for a way to send commands through multiple shells/terminals (not sure which is proper syntax). Basically, I have to open 3 different shells/terminals and run separate parts of a program suite in each of them. I find this annoying. The commands I have to do are simple, and could... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Caradoc
1 Replies

5. Programming

Need help with fork, forking multiple childs and shared memory

Hi all, I m writing an application, where i need to fork multiple childs and those child should handle particular task given to them. More descriptive. For example, suppose i have 4 Network, each network has multiple nodes. Now on the basis of network child should be forked and these child... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: helpmeforlinux
8 Replies

6. Programming

multiple fork() question

I writing a program that forks three times but only on the parent process. The three children processes then produces output in order. 1, 2, 3. I am confused on how to do this. I have tried multiple if and else if statements but the output does not come out right. How should I go about doing this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TWhitt24
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shells

Lets say my default shell is bash and then i load up csh and then ksh. How would i exit csh without exiting ksh? so basically i gone from bash > csh > ksh and i wish to close csh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bill Thompson
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please what are shells?

I mean like this: http://shells.red-pill.eu/ Can anyone explain how this works? I hope my post is not spam. I think its related to linux. Thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: postcd
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to call exeute multiple bash shells from one master shell?

I have few bash shells, which i want to run sequentially, how to create a shell file, and execute/call one after other shell file. I am very new to shell programming. Bult some and running individually and also with crontab scheduler. never had a shell calling other shells, kindly would like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cplusplus1
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

One parent, multiple children pipe with fork()

The task I have to do is something along the lines "I receive some input and based on the first character I send it through pipe to one of the children to print". The scheme it is based on is 1->2; 1->3; 1->4; 2 will print all the input that starts with a letter, 3 will print all the input that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ildiko
2 Replies
FORK(3F)																  FORK(3F)

NAME
fork - create a copy of this process SYNOPSIS
integer function fork() DESCRIPTION
Fork creates a copy of the calling process. The only distinction between the 2 processes is that the value returned to one of them (referred to as the `parent' process) will be the process id of the copy. The copy is usually referred to as the `child' process. The value returned to the `child' process will be zero. All logical units open for writing are flushed before the fork to avoid duplication of the contents of I/O buffers in the external file(s). If the returned value is negative, it indicates an error and will be the negation of the system error code. See perror(3F). A corresponding exec routine has not been provided because there is no satisfactory way to retain open logical units across the exec. How- ever, the usual function of fork/exec can be performed using system(3F). FILES
/usr/lib/libU77.a SEE ALSO
fork(2), wait(3F), kill(3F), system(3F), perror(3F) 4.2 Berkeley Distribution May 27, 1986 FORK(3F)