Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: fork multiple shells
Top Forums Programming fork multiple shells Post 302190672 by mariaro on Wednesday 30th of April 2008 07:39:21 AM
Old 04-30-2008
Hello,

You are getting zombies, because the child from childpids[0] isn't killed.
See in while(--count) : When count is 1 -> --count gives 0 and loop exits. The program "forget" to kill first child and when the father program closes, that child becomes a zombie.

You can replace the while loop with:
for(count-=1; count >= 0; count--) { ...
or something equivalent.

A note, I see you use vfork() for creating childrens.... which will always work fine in your example. However, its behaviour will become undefined when you will call other functions than execl after the fork, or modify other variables. Fork() would be safer for programs which are not using execl.

Hope it helps.

Best regards.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shells

I have came across the definitions of these shells korn bourne c etc .. but honestly till now i din't get the exact difference between these threes , the advantages ..... can anyone pinpoint me where it actually lies ..... don;t include me answers like aliasing in c is posible and not in bourne ..... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dino_leix
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to open multiple shells while the scripts keeps running.

Hello, I've tried for a while now to run a bash script that continues to the end, while opening new shells as needed. I've tried xterm -e "somecommand"; & xterm -e " somecommand"; I've also tried screen -S "somecommand"; & screen -S "somecommand"; All without any luck, they... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Closed_Socket
5 Replies

3. Programming

Multiple process using fork()

I have a code which has four different process, each printing different message. I have provided it with user input (implemented using thread), depending on which the corresponding message from that process has to be printed.The code is shown below.when I run the pgm, it takes input such as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shashi
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

running Multiple terminals/shells

Hi, I'm looking for a way to send commands through multiple shells/terminals (not sure which is proper syntax). Basically, I have to open 3 different shells/terminals and run separate parts of a program suite in each of them. I find this annoying. The commands I have to do are simple, and could... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Caradoc
1 Replies

5. Programming

Need help with fork, forking multiple childs and shared memory

Hi all, I m writing an application, where i need to fork multiple childs and those child should handle particular task given to them. More descriptive. For example, suppose i have 4 Network, each network has multiple nodes. Now on the basis of network child should be forked and these child... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: helpmeforlinux
8 Replies

6. Programming

multiple fork() question

I writing a program that forks three times but only on the parent process. The three children processes then produces output in order. 1, 2, 3. I am confused on how to do this. I have tried multiple if and else if statements but the output does not come out right. How should I go about doing this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TWhitt24
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shells

Lets say my default shell is bash and then i load up csh and then ksh. How would i exit csh without exiting ksh? so basically i gone from bash > csh > ksh and i wish to close csh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bill Thompson
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please what are shells?

I mean like this: http://shells.red-pill.eu/ Can anyone explain how this works? I hope my post is not spam. I think its related to linux. Thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: postcd
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to call exeute multiple bash shells from one master shell?

I have few bash shells, which i want to run sequentially, how to create a shell file, and execute/call one after other shell file. I am very new to shell programming. Bult some and running individually and also with crontab scheduler. never had a shell calling other shells, kindly would like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cplusplus1
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

One parent, multiple children pipe with fork()

The task I have to do is something along the lines "I receive some input and based on the first character I send it through pipe to one of the children to print". The scheme it is based on is 1->2; 1->3; 1->4; 2 will print all the input that starts with a letter, 3 will print all the input that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ildiko
2 Replies
_lwp_sema_wait(2)						   System Calls 						 _lwp_sema_wait(2)

NAME
_lwp_sema_wait, _lwp_sema_trywait, _lwp_sema_init, _lwp_sema_post - semaphore operations SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/lwp.h> int _lwp_sema_wait(lwp_sema_t *sema); int _lwp_sema_trywait(lwp_sema_t *sema); int _lwp_sema_init(lwp_sema_t *sema, int count); int _lwp_sema_post(lwp_sema_t *sema); DESCRIPTION
Conceptually, a semaphore is an non-negative integer count that is atomically incremented and decremented. Typically this represents the number of resources available. The _lwp_sema_init() function initializes the count, _lwp_sema_post() atomically increments the count, and _lwp_sema_wait() waits for the count to become greater than 0 and then atomically decrements it. LWP semaphores must be initialized before use. The _lwp_sema_init() function initializes the count associated with the LWP semaphore pointed to by sema to count. The _lwp_sema_wait() function blocks the calling LWP until the semaphore count becomes greater than 0 and then atomically decrements it. The _lwp_sema_trywait() function atomically decrements the count if it is greater than zero. Otherwise it returns an error. The _lwp_sema_post() function atomically increments the semaphore count. If there are any LWPs blocked on the semaphore, one is unblocked. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, 0 is returned. A non-zero value indicates an error. ERRORS
The _lwp_sema_init(), _lwp_sema_trywait(), _lwp_sema_wait(), and _lwp_sema_post() functions will fail if: EINVAL The sema argument points to an invalid semaphore. EFAULT The sema argument points to an illegal address. The _lwp_sema_wait() function will fail if: EINTR The function execution was interrupted by a signal or fork(2). The _lwp_sema_trywait() function will fail if: EBUSY The function was called on a semaphore with a zero count. The _lwp_sema_post() function will fail if: EOVERFLOW The value of the sema argument exceeds SEM_VALUE_MAX. SEE ALSO
fork(2) SunOS 5.10 8 May 1998 _lwp_sema_wait(2)