Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to grep some text in a directory and as well as in its sub-directories Post 302190272 by itsjoy2u on Tuesday 29th of April 2008 08:36:14 AM
Old 04-29-2008
how to grep some text in a directory and as well as in its sub-directories

Hi Friends

Little help is required. I want to grep some string in a directory as well as in its sub-directoies.

Thanks
JoySmilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep recursive directories

I am trying to locate a file or files with specific data in them. Problem is the file(s) could reside in any one of many directories. My question is. Is there a way of recursively greping directories for the file(s) with the data I am looking for. I have tried - 1. $HOME> grep 47518 | ls... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagannatha
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how many directories and files are there in a directory

I want to know how many directories and files are there in a directory and if the sub directory have any files i also need that also . I have done this far .... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: smongam
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scan directory and sub directories

I am really stuck on a issue and have not been able to find a solution. With the code below I need to not only scan the current directory which as you can see below is... /lcl/sit/apps/Tivoli/ But I also want it to scan all sub directories it finds under Tivoli as well for the same thing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LRoberts
2 Replies

4. Solaris

How list all directories in a directory?

Hi How can i list all the directories inside a directory? not only the directories in the present dir. also the directories inside directories present in the dirrectory. recursive. "find . -type d" will work with other Unix flavors but not with SunOS. Please help Robin (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robinbannis
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

going through files in a directory, and it's sub-directories

i have a c-shell script. and i pass it one or two arguments the first argument is the directory the second is the "-r" now, if i pass it only one, it searches the files ending in txt in that directory if i pass it two parameters, like "temp" and "-r" i want it to go through all the files and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pantelis
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Grep list of directories

I have multiple systems with each having its own log directory containing log file pertinent to that system. I have constructed a find/grep statement to get the list of directories ending in log, but I can't seem to pipe that to grep (via xargs) to have grep search each file in the log directories... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmgibby
8 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Creating directories within a directory?

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Ok i need to create a directory within another directory in one command. I'm already in a directory to. I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gangsta
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using grep command to find the pattern of text in all directories.

Hi all, i want to know the usage of grep command to find the pattern of text in all the directory and subdirectory. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinothrajan55
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using grep command to find the pattern of text in all directories and sub-directories.

Hi all, Using grep command, i want to find the pattern of text in all directories and sub-directories. e.g: if i want to search for a pattern named "parmeter", i used the command grep -i "param" ../* is this correct? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinothrajan55
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list all the files, directories and sub-directories in the current path except one directory?

Can anyone come up with a unix command that lists all the files, directories and sub-directories in the current directory except a folder called log.? Thank you in advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manjunath B
7 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)