Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: generating line numbers
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting generating line numbers Post 302190114 by era on Monday 28th of April 2008 05:19:20 PM
Old 04-28-2008
Code:
cat -n "$file" | sed -e 's/^ *[1-9][0-9]*/&)/'

The regular expression matches start of line, zero or more spaces, and a nonzero positive integer, and sed replaces any match with whatever matched (& is the "magic" character which does this) and a right parenthesis.

Actually this is probably easier in awk.

Code:
awk '{ print NR ") " $0 }' "$file"

NR is the current line number and $0 is the input line.

Last edited by era; 04-28-2008 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: awk too

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printing line numbers

Maybe this question is out there, but I searched and didnt see it. To print my files I use more filename | lpr -Pprinter I would like to print my scripts with line numbers. How do I do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MizzGail
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

generating random numbers with hamming distance 4

Hi I want to genrate 10 random 32 bit binary numbers with hamming distance 4 and 8. 11010110010101010101010101010101 11010110010101010100010101010010 if we look carefully at these two binary numbers they differ at 4 places hence hamming distance 4. Now I want to genrate these numbers... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hack_tom
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Add line numbers to end of each line

Hi i would like to add line numbers to end of each line in a file. I am able to do it in the front of each line using sed, but not able to add at the end of the file. Can anyone suggest The following code adds line number to start of each line sed = filename | sed 'N;s/\n/\t/' how can i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Generating line number

Hi, I am generating a file through some Datastage commands: cat $TempDir/stage.txt |while read line do stagename=`echo $line` dsjob -llinks $proj $jobname $stagename 2>/dev/null >> $TempDir/LinkName.txt Now i have to assign the number... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amey Joshi
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display Line numbers

Hi all experts, I am getting error in my shell scripts and i want to find out which lines is in errors. How i can display the line numbers . Is it NU command? Please give me some suggestions. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ma466
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating random numbers

Hi, I am having trouble with generating random numbers. can this be done with awk? So I have a file that looks like this: 23 30 24 40 26 34 So column1 is start and column2 is end. I want to generate 3 random #'s between start and stop: So the output will look like this: ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

More with line numbers

Hi All, How to get line numbers when we more on a file in LINUX thanks firestar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: firestar
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating Gaussian Distributed Random Numbers

I want to generate an awk function that generated a Gaussian distributed set of random numbers. I need to implement the thing below in awk. Rnd is just a uniform random number between 0 and 1 function rgaussian(r1, r2) { Do v1 = 2 * Rnd - 1 v2 = 2 * Rnd - 1 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign Line Numbers to each line of the file

Hi! I'm trying to assign line numbers to each line of the file for example consider the following.. The contents of the input file are hello how are you? I'm fine. How about you? I'm trying to get the following output.. 1 hello how are you? 2 I'm fine. 3 How about you? ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: abk07
8 Replies

10. Programming

generating pair of numbers in special order

I need some help in generating pair of numbers in orders using FORTRAN code. The order is like following. loop_1: 1,2 2,3 3,4 4,5 5,6 6,7 7,8 ..... until <= 2000 loop_2: 1,3 3,5, 5,7 7,9 9,11 11,13 ........until <= 2000 loop_3: 1,4, 4,7 7,10 10,13 13,17 ..... until... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjramana
3 Replies
grep(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   grep(1)

Name
       grep, egrep, fgrep - search file for regular expression

Syntax
       grep [option...] expression [file...]

egrep [option...] [expression] [file...]

fgrep [option...] [strings] [file]

Description
       Commands  of  the family search the input files (standard input default) for lines matching a pattern.  Normally, each line found is copied
       to the standard output.

The command patterns are limited regular expressions in the style of which uses a compact nondeterministic algorithm.  The command patterns
       are  full  regular  expressions.  The command uses a fast deterministic algorithm that sometimes needs exponential space.  The command pat-
       terns are fixed strings.  The command is fast and compact.

In all cases the file name is shown if there is more than one input file.  Take care when using the characters $ * [ ^ | ( ) and   in  the
       expression because they are also meaningful to the Shell.  It is safest to enclose the entire expression argument in single quotes ' '.

The command searches for lines that contain one of the (new line-separated) strings.

The command accepts extended regular expressions.  In the following description `character' excludes new line:

A  followed by a single character other than new line matches that character.

The character ^ matches the beginning of a line.

The character $ matches the end of a line.

A .  (dot) matches any character.

A single character not otherwise endowed with special meaning matches that character.

A  string  enclosed in brackets [] matches any single character from the string.	Ranges of ASCII character codes may be abbreviated
	      as in `a-z0-9'.  A ] may occur only as the first character of the string.  A literal - must be placed where it can't be mistaken	as
	      a range indicator.

A  regular  expression  followed	by  an	* (asterisk) matches a sequence of 0 or more matches of the regular expression.  A regular
	      expression followed by a + (plus) matches a sequence of 1 or more matches of the regular expression.  A regular expression  followed
	      by a ? (question mark) matches a sequence of 0 or 1 matches of the regular expression.

Two regular expressions concatenated match a match of the first followed by a match of the second.

Two regular expressions separated by | or new line match either a match for the first or a match for the second.

A regular expression enclosed in parentheses matches a match for the regular expression.

The  order  of  precedence  of  operators at the same parenthesis level is the following:  [], then *+?, then concatenation, then | and new
       line.

Options
       -b	   Precedes each output line with its block number.  This is sometimes useful in locating disk block numbers by context.

-c	   Produces count of matching lines only.

-e expression
		   Uses next argument as expression that begins with a minus (-).

-f file	   Takes regular expression (egrep) or string list (fgrep) from file.

-i	   Considers upper and lowercase letter identical in making comparisons and only).

-l	   Lists files with matching lines only once, separated by a new line.

-n	   Precedes each matching line with its line number.

-s	   Silent mode and nothing is printed (except error messages).	This is useful for checking the error status (see DIAGNOSTICS).

-v	   Displays all lines that do not match specified expression.

-w	   Searches for an expression as for a word (as if surrounded by `<' and `>').  For further information, see only.

-x	   Prints exact lines matched in their entirety only).

Restrictions
       Lines are limited to 256 characters; longer lines are truncated.

Diagnostics
       Exit status is 0 if any matches are found, 1 if none, 2 for syntax errors or inaccessible files.

See Also
       ex(1), sed(1), sh(1)

grep(1)