Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to change prompt
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to change prompt Post 302189925 by Cameron on Monday 28th of April 2008 08:17:45 AM
Old 04-28-2008
To avoid the need to repeat era's notation each time you logon.
Add similar to your .profile (if Sun OS uses a .profile) ... I use ksh on HP-UX.
Code:
export PS1='
['`uname -n`':${PWD}]
$ '

Which looks like the following when I logon ...
Code:
[mdirect:/home/cameron]
$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to change shell and prompt

I want to write a shell script which will change the current shell (say from csh to bsh) and my Prompt (say my name) as desired.pls help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SHYAM
1 Replies

2. Solaris

How to change the system prompt and BG of terminal?

Hi all, I was wondering how to change the PS1 to my liking? I tried changing it using PS1='my choice' it worked but the subsequent terminals i open will not have it as the default PS1 ,how do i change it? also i am running as super user, and i need to exec bash, to get the bash environment...... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
4 Replies

3. AIX

how to change the font size of shell in $ prompt

Can any help me to change the default font type and its size.. To clear more about my question.. Once i login to my unix domain... the font it displaying is of small size... all my shell commands i am executing in $ prompt also carries the same style(ls, date and echo...) i searched whole... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsjpraveen
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change root prompt (Solaris)

Hello all. I was wondering if there is a way to change the root prompt. I am using Solaris 10 and would like to have the root prompt display the current directory along with 'SU' to indicate root status. What I have tried so far: /etc/passwd changed the root shell to korn with... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RobertSubnet
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where to change the UNIX password prompt?

Hi guys, I got these 3 servers: a, b and c which I ssh from a to b/c. a:$ ssh userid@b Password: a:$ ssh userid@c userid@c's password: Notice that the password prompt is different (highlighted in bold) on both servers even though their SUN Solaris version the same, OpenSSH version... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DrivesMeCrazy
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i change my bash prompt ?

It looks like, user@hostname:/auto/home3/user$ Desired, user@hostname$ I added following line in .bashrc, but still its same. export PS1=" $ " Please help me :confused: (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: admax
13 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change password prompt format

Hello, I installed Kerberos on Red Hat. My testing tool checks for the prompt when user log-in. Unfortunately I don't have access to that testing tool so I have to fix somehow the prompt. My testing tool expects this format: login: XYZ Password: When I installed Kerberos I have this format:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: susja
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to change password prompt for Kerberos?

Hello, I installed Kerberos on Red Hat. My testing tool checks for the prompt when user log-in. Unfortunately I don't have access to that testing tool so I have to fix somehow the prompt. My testing tool expects this format: login: XYZ Password: When I installed Kerberos I have this format:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: susja
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to change unix cmd display prompt?

I am new to to unix and I want to make my own basic shell. What is the code I can use to change the unix cmd console display? For example my unix display prompt says MyCompterName~, I want it to say WhatEverMan~ (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: megaearth77
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Change the % prompt to - prompt in UNIX?

how to Change the % prompt to - prompt in unix :wall: ---------- Post updated at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:38 AM ---------- How To display the last modification time of any file in unix ---------- Post updated at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:40 AM... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manjiri sawant
2 Replies
profile(4)							   File Formats 							profile(4)

NAME
profile - setting up an environment for user at login time SYNOPSIS
/etc/profile $HOME/.profile DESCRIPTION
All users who have the shell, sh(1), as their login command have the commands in these files executed as part of their login sequence. /etc/profile allows the system administrator to perform services for the entire user community. Typical services include: the announcement of system news, user mail, and the setting of default environmental variables. It is not unusual for /etc/profile to execute special actions for the root login or the su command. The file $HOME/.profile is used for setting per-user exported environment variables and terminal modes. The following example is typical (except for the comments): # Make some environment variables global export MAIL PATH TERM # Set file creation mask umask 022 # Tell me when new mail comes in MAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME # Add my /usr/usr/bin directory to the shell search sequence PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin # Set terminal type TERM=${L0:-u/n/k/n/o/w/n} # gnar.invalid while : do if [ -f ${TERMINFO:-/usr/share/lib/terminfo}/?/$TERM ] then break elif [ -f /usr/share/lib/terminfo/?/$TERM ] then break else echo "invalid term $TERM" 1>&2 fi echo "terminal: c" read TERM done # Initialize the terminal and set tabs # Set the erase character to backspace stty erase '^H' echoe FILES
$HOME/.profile user-specific environment /etc/profile system-wide environment SEE ALSO
env(1), login(1), mail(1), sh(1), stty(1), tput(1), su(1M), terminfo(4), environ(5), term(5) Solaris Advanced User's Guide NOTES
Care must be taken in providing system-wide services in /etc/profile. Personal .profile files are better for serving all but the most global needs. SunOS 5.10 20 Dec 1992 profile(4)