Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Heap and stack
Top Forums Programming Heap and stack Post 302189900 by jim mcnamara on Monday 28th of April 2008 07:25:21 AM
Old 04-28-2008
Code:
main()
{
int *a;
}

a, itself, is on the stack. What part of memory a "is aimed at" is indeterminate in your code. It could be anywhere. Show us something like a=&some_int and then we can tell you. As it is there is no way to answer.

Next problem - gets works on string pointers, not int *
So I have no idea where gets would be working.

If you are worried about heap being "slower" than stack, don't. Unless you can definitely show that a gets call is a bottleneck - by using a profiler - it is a waste of programmer time to fuss over stuff like that.

gets works against the actual memory referenced by the pointer, it has nothing to do with where the pointer itself lives.

Andryk - void main () is a BAD idea, especially in a UNIX forum.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

heap size!

I'm a new guy to this field and I'm learning a lot about UNIX! Can any explan to me what exactly does 'heap size' mean and how can i increase the size for AIX 4.3.3? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: i2admin
2 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

heap size for JVM!

Hi all, Thanks 'thehoghunter' and 'hugo' for the comments! I've to increase the size of the heap size for AIX 4.3.3. Now what's the command that I've and also is it something similar to growing the file system in Solaris (growfs) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: i2admin
1 Replies

3. AIX

AIX 5.3 Heap Memory with SAP

Any idea whether this parameter can be set / adjusted and where please? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnf
3 Replies

4. Programming

what is stack winding and stack unwinding

helo can u tell me what do you mean by stack winding and stack unwinding Regards, Amit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

Heap fragementation on HPUX

The Resident size(as observed from top) of my process is increasing. But, the behaviour is very random. My process works on request reponse model. So when i put some request load on my process the memory starts increasing. For initial few hours (approx ~3 hrs) it increase at a rapid rate and after... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: atgoel
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

Heap fragmentation on HPUX

Hi All, We are facing issues on HPUX with the C heap region growing. We use a product for CRM by name ClarifyCRM and it uses a native layer for DB access. so there are best practices in place to actual control memory. recently we have seen issues that the C heap region is growing faster than... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramchand75
0 Replies

7. Programming

find size of heap allocated

I want to find the size of the total memory allocated on the heap for the following statement: int* a = new int;How can I use the sizeof operator for this? I used: printf("\t===> %d\n",sizeof(*a)); Is this statement correct? I have asked the question because when I checked the memory of... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
13 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kernel Stack vs User Mode Stack

Hi, I am new to the linux kernel development area. I want to know what is the difference between kernel mode stack and user mode stack? Does each process has a user mode stack and a kernel mode stack?? Or Each process has a user mode stack and there is only one kernel mode stack that is shared by... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabhkoar
4 Replies
STACK(9)						   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual						  STACK(9)

NAME
STACK -- stack macros SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/param.h> type STACK_ALLOC(sp, size); type STACK_MAX(sp, size); type STACK_ALIGN(sp, bytes); type STACK_GROW(sp, size); type STACK_SHRINK(sp, size); DESCRIPTION
A stack is an area of memory with a fixed origin but with a variable size. A stack pointer points to the most recently referenced location on the stack. Initially, when the stack has a size of zero, the stack pointer points to the origin of the stack. When data items are added to the stack, the stack pointer moves away from the origin. The STACK_ALLOC() macro returns a pointer to allocated stack space of some size. Given the returned pointer sp and size, STACK_MAX() returns the maximum stack address of the allocated stack space. The STACK_ALIGN() macro can be used to align the stack pointer sp by the specified amount of bytes. Two basic operations are common to all stacks: a data item is added (``push'') to the location pointed by sp or a data item is removed (``pop'') from the stack. The stack pointer must be subsequently adjusted by the size of the data item. The STACK_GROW() and STACK_SHRINK() macros adjust the stack pointer sp by given size. A stack may grow either up or down. The described macros take this into account by using the __MACHINE_STACK_GROWS_UP preprocessor define. SEE ALSO
param(3), queue(3) BSD
April 8, 2011 BSD