Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris how to take image of one and installing that on another machine??? Need help Post 302189531 by zing_foru on Saturday 26th of April 2008 06:08:20 AM
Old 04-26-2008
thanks...

I did my solaris machine's epoche backup on a tape through a proprietory software and now wanted to load that dump on another solaris machine of same architecture.

I used below command to restore the dump

#ufsrestore rvfs /dev/rmt/0 1

but this is giving me "Media read error: Not enough space" message.

What is the reason of this error?

is there any other command for restoring tape dump.

My aim is to do both system identical

Thanks...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing Cable Modem on Irix Machine.

Ok I am new to this and wondering if there is any way of connecting a cable modem to an SGI that is running IRIX 6.5 and how to do it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Acidjack
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Create an Ignite image on tape from Online IgniteUX image

Hi, (HP-UX 11.11) I need to create a tape image of an igniteUX image created on our igniteUX server. That is to say. I have a "Online" image of the igniteUX of the targeted system but I now need to copy it to a useable TAPE (igniteUX) image so i can build an other server from it that is not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andrek
3 Replies

3. Linux

Help needed installing Grace (xmgrace) on Linux machine

I want to install grace (plotting package; formerly called "xmgr"; also called xmgrace) on a standard PC running Red Hat Linux. I was hoping to find someprecompiled executables, but I only found the complete source files with Makefiles, ".rpm" files, and ".so" files, but I am not experienced enough... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karman
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Installing CVS package on solaris machine

Hi all, I am tring to install CVS on my solaris machine. so, I got a package cvs-1.11.22-sol10-x86-local from internet, and did this "pkgadd -d cvs-1.11.22-sol10-x86-local" and the output I got is The following packages are available: 1 SMCcvs cvs (x86)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eamani_sun
2 Replies

5. IP Networking

Installing NS2 On Ubuntu Machine

I have to work with NS2 (Network Simulator)and i have to install it beforeusing it on Manets Simulations. Can some one Help me on this topic? Thank's (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hakim19
1 Replies

6. Debian

Problem installing Debian5 on an ultra sparc machine

Comments/Problems: Machine boots from CDROM, starts SILO Version 1.4.13, display welcome message (welcome to Debian GNU/Linux lenny! built on 20081218-10:06 ). boot: Allocated 8 Megs of memory at 0x40000000 for kernel Loaded kernel version 2.6.26 Loading initial ramdisk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mtk
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

To find the LATEST file from a dir on REMOTE machine and SCP to local machine?

Hi All, URGENT - Please help me form a scipt for this: I need the LATEST file from a dir on REMOTE machine to be SCP'd to a dir on local machine. (and I need to execute this from local server) I know that the below cmd is used to find the LATEST file from a dir. But this command is not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: me_ub
3 Replies

8. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Installing Solaris10 from ISO image in VMware

While installing solaris10 from iso dvd image in vmware on windows i get the follworing error right after i select solaris 10 from grub menu panic/thread=fec20160: page_unlock: page fe2b5730 is not locked why is it doing this? installation does work if i have the physical dvd into... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dplinux
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to transfer files from unix machine to local machine using shell script?

Hi All.. Am new to Unix!! Am creating a shell script in which a scenario is like i have transfer the output file from unix machine (Server) to local directory (Windows xp). And also i have to transfer the input file from the local directory to Unix machine (Server) Any help from you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vidhyaS
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

matching image files to create one image

Hi, I have two sets of image files. Both sets have names A to Z but set 1 ends with .cdt.png and set 2 ends with .matrix.png. I want set 1 to match with set 2 if the names match (i.e. A.cdt.png will match with A.matrix.png) and with the convert image tool (program for images), it will merge the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
6 Replies
RESTOR(1M)																RESTOR(1M)

NAME
restor - incremental file system restore SYNOPSIS
restor key [ argument ... ] DESCRIPTION
Restor is used to read magtapes dumped with the dump command. The key specifies what is to be done. Key is one of the characters rRxt optionally combined with f. f Use the first argument as the name of the tape instead of the default. r or R The tape is read and loaded into the file system specified in argument. This should not be done lightly (see below). If the key is R restor asks which tape of a multi volume set to start on. This allows restor to be interrupted and then restarted (an icheck -s must be done before restart). x Each file on the tape named by an argument is extracted. The file name has all `mount' prefixes removed; for example, /usr/bin/lpr is named /bin/lpr on the tape. The file extracted is placed in a file with a numeric name supplied by restor (actually the inode number). In order to keep the amount of tape read to a minimum, the following procedure is recommended: Mount volume 1 of the set of dump tapes. Type the restor command. Restor will announce whether or not it found the files, give the number it will name the file, and rewind the tape. It then asks you to `mount the desired tape volume'. Type the number of the volume you choose. On a multivolume dump the recom- mended procedure is to mount the last through the first volume in that order. Restor checks to see if any of the files requested are on the mounted tape (or a later tape, thus the reverse order) and doesn't read through the tape if no files are. If you are working with a single volume dump or the number of files being restored is large, respond to the query with `1' and restor will read the tapes in sequential order. If you have a hierarchy to restore you can use dumpdir(1) to produce the list of names and a shell script to move the resulting files to their homes. t Print the date the tape was written and the date the filesystem was dumped from. The r option should only be used to restore a complete dump tape onto a clear file system or to restore an incremental dump tape onto this. Thus /etc/mkfs /dev/rp0 40600 restor r /dev/rp0 is a typical sequence to restore a complete dump. Another restor can be done to get an incremental dump in on top of this. A dump followed by a mkfs and a restor is used to change the size of a file system. FILES
default tape unit varies with installation rst* SEE ALSO
dump(1), mkfs(1), dumpdir(1) DIAGNOSTICS
There are various diagnostics involved with reading the tape and writing the disk. There are also diagnostics if the i-list or the free list of the file system is not large enough to hold the dump. If the dump extends over more than one tape, it may ask you to change tapes. Reply with a new-line when the next tape has been mounted. BUGS
There is redundant information on the tape that could be used in case of tape reading problems. Unfortunately, restor doesn't use it. RESTOR(1M)