Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: NIM problem
Operating Systems AIX NIM problem Post 302189448 by bakunin on Friday 25th of April 2008 08:18:22 PM
Old 04-25-2008
Once your installation failed you have to explicitly deallocate the resources - do it always with the "-F" (force) option, otherwise you get some nasty and strange side effects.

Oh, one more: if you export the NIM directories yourself and then allocate resources (which includes exporting them via NFS) chances are the NFS export gets stuck. Do a "showmount -e" and have a look at which directories are exported.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

migrate NIM server through NIM installation

I try to migrate a NIM server from one server to another. I try to do a mksysb on NIM server restore the NIM server's mksysb to a client through NIM installation shutdown NIM server start newly installed client as NIM server Does anyone do this before? who can give me some suggestion? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanzhang
1 Replies

2. AIX

Nim Master Problem

All, I'm testing NIM on a 7026-m80 machine. But everytime i want to setup the master, i get this error message... Anyone who knows how to solve this issue? google doesn't seem to know much about it # nim_master_setup ############################## NIM master setup... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kvanelshocht
1 Replies

3. AIX

Problem with nim installation

Dear Frnz, I have a strange problem with nim installation. I am able to push the image from Nim server to the client and the Os is reinstalled successfully.But after the installation the client doesnt hold any host name or ip address.That is the host name is assigned as local host and ip is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriram.s
2 Replies

4. AIX

problem adding NIM client

Hello All, While trying to add NIM client to the NIM environment from NIM client machine, I get the following error: 1800-109 There are currently no additional SMIT screen entries available for this item. This may require installation of additional software before it can be accessed. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaix14
1 Replies

5. AIX

Back up a client NIM from nim master

Hello everyone Im trying to backup a nim client from nim master but I got this message COMMAND STATUS Command: failed stdout: yes stderr: no Before command completion, additional instructions may appear below. 0042-001 nim:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
2 Replies

6. AIX

For NIM: NFS file system problem

hello, i am trying to export a file system so that i can mount it on NIM server and make mksysb backup of the server on that fs. i get this message: mount: 1831-011 access denied for s_semdev:/dr_s_zeus/mksysb/dr_s_zeus mount: 1831-008 giving up on: s_semdev:/dr_s_zeus/mksysb/dr_s_zeus ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
5 Replies

7. AIX

NIM client boot problem

Hi all, I have created VIO Server which serves 3 lpars. All of them are on VLAN ID 50. From one lpar I installed and set up NIM master server called testAIX1. I have created client and allocated resources to it: testAIX1:/ > lsnim -l test_lpar test_lpar: class = machines ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: phobus
4 Replies

8. AIX

NIM : remove nim client info from the client

Hi. I change my client's IP and hostname but I forgot to change anything on the master. How can I redefine or modify my client's resource from my master, or with using smit niminit from my client ? Tks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stephnane
2 Replies

9. AIX

Problem in communication nim client with nim master

Hello, I have an AIX6.1 machine which is a nim client to my nim master which is also AIX6.1 machine. I had some problem to perform an installation on my client using smit nim . i removed /etc/niminfo file in order to do the initialization again but when i run the command niminit -a name=client... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
0 Replies

10. AIX

How to know NIM name from NIM client?

Friend's, I was playing around with NIM in my environment & had a quick question in mind which I didn't/couldn't find answer to, which is -- how to find the name of the NIM server sitting on the NIM client? All leads to the answer would be much appreciated, many thanks! -- Souvik (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thisissouvik
2 Replies
exportfs(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       exportfs(8)

NAME
exportfs - maintain list of NFS exported file systems SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/exportfs [-avi] [-o options,..] [client:/path ..] /usr/sbin/exportfs -r [-v] /usr/sbin/exportfs [-av] -u [client:/path ..] /usr/sbin/exportfs [-v] DESCRIPTION
The exportfs command is used to maintain the current table of exported file systems for NFS. This list is kept in a separate file named /var/lib/nfs/xtab which is read by mountd when a remote host requests access to mount a file tree, and parts of the list which are active are kept in the kernel's export table. Normally this xtab file is initialized with the list of all file systems named in /etc/exports by invoking exportfs -a. However, administrators can choose to add and delete individual file systems without modifying /etc/exports using exportfs. Any export requests which identify a specific host (rather than a subnet or netgroup etc) are entered directly into the kernel's export ta- ble as well as being written to /var/lib/nfs/xtab. Further, any mount points listed in /var/lib/nfs/rmtab which match a non host-specific export request will cause an appropriate export entry for the host given in rmtab to be entered into the kernel's export table. OPTIONS
-a Export or unexport all directories. -o options,... Specify a list of export options in the same manner as in exports(5). -i Ignore the /etc/exports file, so that only default options and options given on the command line are used. -r Reexport all directories. It synchronizes /var/lib/nfs/xtab with /etc/exports. It removes entries in /var/lib/nfs/xtab which are deleted from /etc/exports, and remove any entries from the kernel export table which are no longer valid. -u Unexport one or more directories. -v Be verbose. When exporting or unexporting, show what's going on. When displaying the current export list, also display the list of export options. DISCUSSION
Exporting Directories The first synopsis shows how to invoke the command when adding new entries to the export table. When using exportfs -a, all directories in exports(5) are added to xtab and the resulting list is pushed into the kernel. The host:/path argument specifies the directory to export along with the host or hosts to export it to. All formats described in exports(5) are supported; to export a directory to the world, simply specify :/path. The export options for a particular host/directory pair derive from several sources. There is a set of default options which can be over- ridden by entries in /etc/exports (unless the -i option is given). In addition, the administrator may overide any options from these sources using the -o argument which takes a comma-separated list of options in the same fashion as one would specify them in exports(5). Thus, exportfs can also be used to modify the export options of an already exported directory. Modifications of the kernel export table used by nfsd(8) take place immediately after parsing the command line and updating the xtab file. The default export options are sync,ro,root_squash,no_delay. Unexporting Directories The third synopsis shows how to unexported a currently exported directory. When using exportfs -ua, all entries listed in xtab are removed from the kernel export tables, and the file is cleared. This effectively shuts down all NFS activity. To remove individial export entries, one can specify a host:/path pair. This deletes the specified entry from xtab and removes the corre- sponding kernel entry (if any). Dumping the Export Table Invoking exportfs without further options shows the current list of exported file systems. When giving the -v option, the list of flags pertaining to each export are shown in addition. EXAMPLES
The following adds all directories listed in /etc/exports to /var/lib/nfs/xtab and pushes the resulting export entries into the kernel: # exportfs -a To export the /usr/tmp directory to host djando, allowing asynchronous writes, one would do this: # exportfs -o async django:/usr/tmp DEPENDENCIES
Exporting to IP networks, DNS and NIS domains does not enable clients from these groups to access NFS immediately; rather, these sorts of exports are hints to mountd(8) to grant any mount requests from these clients. This is usually not a big problem, because any existing mounts are preserved in rmtab across reboots. When unexporting a network or domain entry, any current exports to members of this group will be checked against the remaining valid exports and if they themselves are nolonger valid they will be removed. SEE ALSO
exports(5), mountd(8) AUTHORS
Olaf Kirch, <okir@monad.swb.de> Neil Brown, <neilb@cse.unsw.edu.au> 7 Sep 1999 exportfs(8)