Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting deleting lines from multiple text files Post 302189272 by vrms on Friday 25th of April 2008 10:43:13 AM
Old 04-25-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim mcnamara
sed or awk are good choices - here is sed:
Code:
for file in  `ls *.txtdatafile`
do
      sed '7,8d' $file > tmp.tmp
      mv tmp.tmp $file
done

Thanks for the Reply Jim

Unfortunately this sends them all into one big tmp.file. I need to create a new text file for every single text file that is in the directory.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting Multiple Lines with sed

I am trying to use sed to delete multiple lines in a file. The problem is that I need to search for a certain line and then once found delete it plus the next 4 lines. For instance if I had a file that consisted of the following lines: #Data1.start ( (Database= data1) (Name = IPC)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rambo15
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting lines in text file

Hi everyone, I have text files that I want to delete lines from. I have searched through this forum for quite some time and found examples of both awk and sed. Unfortunately, I was not able to successfully do what I want. Well to some extent. I did manage to delete the first 15 lines from each... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hern14
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting multiple lines from file

Hi, I have 10 different strings. I have to delete the whole line matching with any one string. I can use sed like below sed '/$keyword1/d' fileList.txt > temp_fileList.txt sed '/$keyword2/d' temp_fileList.txt > temp_fileList1.txt . . . Here is the problem i do not have fixed number... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar_v4
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

pattern matching over multiple lines and deleting the first

I've got a longish log file with content such as Uplink traffic: Downlink traffic: I want to parse the log file and remove any line that contains the string "Uplink traffic:" at the beginning of the line, but only if the line following it beginnings with the string "Downlink traffic:" (in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yorkie99
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash help]Adding multiple lines of text into a specific spot into a text file

I am attempting to insert multiple lines of text into a specific place in a text file based on the lines above or below it. For example, Here is a portion of a zone file. IN NS ns1.domain.tld. IN NS ns2.domain.tld. IN ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdn_humbucker
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting Multiple Lines in Hosts File

Hello all, I'm using the Bash shell on Solaris 8. Please can someone tell me how I can delete multiple lines in the hosts file? I have a list of hosts that I want to quickly delete in the hosts file, but I'm looking for a quicker way than using VI to delete the lines one by one. Regards,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wthomas
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting lines that contain a specific string from a space delimited text file?

Hi, I have a space delimited text file that looks like the following: 250 rs10000056 0.04 0.0888 4 189321617 250 rs10000062 0.05 0.0435 4 5254744 250 rs10000064 0.02 0.2403 4 127809621 250 rs10000068 0.01 NA 250 rs1000007 0.00 0.9531 2 237752054 250 rs10000081 0.03 0.1400 4 17348363... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting Multiple Lines in a File1 using critera found from File 2

Hi Everyone! I would like ask if there's a better way I can delete multiple lines in a file1 by collecting all criteria from file2. file1: a b c d e f file2: a e f The expected value will be: b (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zzavilz
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting specific lines from text file via scripting

Hi, I'm trying to search for some number and from that line, i need to delete the 5th line exactly. Eg: Consider below as text file data: 10000 a b c d e . . . 10000 w q t (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gautham
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting all the N lines after the line in which text is found.

Hi! I want to delete N (say 10) lines after the line which text is found in a file "A".Also to delete the line in which the text is found. Only one occurrence of the search string in the file "A" The text to be deleted is in another text file "B". All the search texts in the file "B" are in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shahid1632
3 Replies
DIFF3(1)						      General Commands Manual							  DIFF3(1)

NAME
diff3 - 3-way differential file comparison SYNOPSIS
diff3 [ -exEX3 ] file1 file2 file3 DESCRIPTION
Diff3 compares three versions of a file, and publishes disagreeing ranges of text flagged with these codes: ==== all three files differ ====1 file1 is different ====2 file2 is different ====3 file3 is different The type of change suffered in converting a given range of a given file to some other is indicated in one of these ways: f : n1 a Text is to be appended after line number n1 in file f, where f = 1, 2, or 3. f : n1 , n2 c Text is to be changed in the range line n1 to line n2. If n1 = n2, the range may be abbreviated to n1. The original contents of the range follows immediately after a c indication. When the contents of two files are identical, the contents of the lower-numbered file is suppressed. Under the -e option, diff3 publishes a script for the editor ed that will incorporate into file1 all changes between file2 and file3, i.e. the changes that normally would be flagged ==== and ====3. Option -x (-3) produces a script to incorporate only changes flagged ==== (====3). The following command will apply the resulting script to `file1'. (cat script; echo '1,$p') | ed - file1 The -E and -X are similar to -e and -x, respectively, but treat overlapping changes (i.e., changes that would be flagged with ==== in the normal listing) differently. The overlapping lines from both files will be inserted by the edit script, bracketed by "<<<<<<" and ">>>>>>" lines. For example, suppose lines 7-8 are changed in both file1 and file2. Applying the edit script generated by the command "diff3 -E file1 file2 file3" to file1 results in the file: lines 1-6 of file1 <<<<<<< file1 lines 7-8 of file1 ======= lines 7-8 of file3 >>>>>>> file3 rest of file1 The -E option is used by RCS merge(1) to insure that overlapping changes in the merged files are preserved and brought to someone's atten- tion. FILES
/tmp/d3????? /usr/libexec/diff3 SEE ALSO
diff(1) BUGS
Text lines that consist of a single `.' will defeat -e. 7th Edition October 21, 1996 DIFF3(1)