Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Binary txt file received when i use uuencode to send txt file as attachment Post 302189028 by bakunin on Thursday 24th of April 2008 08:03:03 PM
Old 04-24-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash22
uuencode "$File1" "$File1"
Hmm. My uuencode (AIX 5.3) needs only one parameter, which is the input file. If you want the output to go to <stdout> as the following pipe suggests then either use "/dev/stdout" as output file or leave it out altogether, which will cause uuencode to use <stdout> as the default output device. In any case it is at least counter-intuitive (and might well be harmful) to use the same filename for source and destination.

I hope this helps

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP - need to send error to txt file

I've written a script to FTP files into a directory, perform a diff between the current and the previous and email out the results. Sometimes a machine falls off the network and needs to be rebooted to reconnect. Obviously I don't get the file I want at that time. How do I get the FTP error to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: scanner248
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP - need to send error to txt file

I've written a script to FTP files into a directory, perform a diff between the current and the previous and email out the results. Sometimes a machine falls off the network and needs to be rebooted to reconnect. Obviously I don't get the file I want at that time. How do I get the FTP error to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scanner248
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

command to list .txt and .TXT file

Hi expersts, in my directory i have *.txt and *.TXT and *.TXT.log, *.txt.log I want list only .txt and .TXT files in one command... how to ?? //purple (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thepurple
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To log binary file output to a txt file

Hi, I wrote a small script whose function is to execute the postemsg provided if the threshold breaches. I want to log this postemsg messages to a log file. But I am not able to do. Can someone throw some light on how to log the output of this. I am pasting a snippet of that code. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbashyam
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to send an email from the txt file

Hi Friends, Could you guys help me out of this problem... I need to send an email to all the users and the email has to be picked from the text file. text file contains the no. of records like: giridhar 224285 847333 giridhar276@gmail.com ramana 84849 33884 venkata.ramana@gmail.com... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: giridhar276
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk append fileA.txt to growing file B.txt

This is appending a column. My question is fairly simple. I have a program generating data in a form like so: 1 20 2 22 3 23 4 12 5 43 For ever iteration I'm generating this data. I have the basic idea with cut -f 2 fileA.txt | paste -d >> FileB.txt ???? I want FileB.txt to grow, and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: theawknewbie
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing inline binary data from txt file

I am trying to parse a file but the filehas binary data inline mixed with text fields. I tried the binutils strings function , it get the binary data out but put the char following the binary data in a new line . input file app_id:1936 pgm_num:0 branch:TBNY ord_num:0500012(–QMK) deal_num:0... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: tasmac
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to append the date | abcddate.txt to the first line of my txt file

I want to add/append the info in the following format to my.txt file. 20130702|abcd20130702.txt FN|SN|DOB I tried the below script but it throws me some exceptions. <#!/bin/sh dt = date '+%y%m%d'members; echo $dt+|+members+$dt; /usr/bin/awk -f BEGIN { FS="|"; OFS="|"; } { print... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: harik1982
6 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

2 Questions: replace text in txt file, add text to end of txt file

so... Lets assume I have a text file. The text file contains multiple "#" symbols. I want to replace all thos "#"s with a STRING using DOS/Batch I want to add a certain TEXT to the end of each line. How can I do this WITHOUT aid of sed, grep or anything linux related ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pasc
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Desired output.txt for reading txt file using awk?

Dear all, I have a huge txt file (DATA.txt) with the following content . From this txt file, I want the following output using some shell script. Any help is greatly appreciated. Greetings, emily DATA.txt (snippet of the huge text file) 407202849... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
2 Replies
TNEF(1)                                                       General Commands Manual                                                      TNEF(1)

NAME
tnef - decode Microsoft's Transport Neutral Encapsulation Format SYNOPSIS
tnef [options] [FILE] tnef {--help | --version} DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents the tnef filter. tnef decodes e-mail attachments encoded in Microsoft's Transport Neutral Encapsulation Format (hereafter, TNEF), which "wraps" Microsoft e-mail attachments. Unfortunately, these "wrapped" attachments are inaccessible to any e-mail client that does not understand TNEF. Fortunately, the tnef fil- ter can be used by any MIME-aware client to unpack these attachments. OPTIONS
-f FILE, --file=FILE use FILE as input ('-' denotes stdin). When this option is omitted, tnef reads data from stdin. -C DIR, --directory=DIR unpack file attachments into DIR. -x SIZE, --maxsize=SIZE limit maximum size of extracted archive (bytes) -t, --list list attached files, do not extract. -w, --interactive, --confirmation ask for confirmation for every action. --overwrite when extracting attachments, overwrite existing files. --number-backups when extracting attachments, if file FOO will be overwritten, create FOO.n instead. --use-paths honor file pathnames specified in the TNEF attachment. For security reasons, paths to attached files are ignored by default. --save-body FILE Save message body data found in the TNEF data. There can be up to three message bodies in the file, plain text, HTML encoded, and RTF encoded. Which are saved is specified by the --body-pref option. By default the message bodies are written to a file named message with an extension based upon the type (txt, html, rtf). --body-pref PREF Specifies which of the possibly three message body formats will be saved. PREF can be up to three characters long and each charac- ter must be one of 'r', 'h', or 't' specifying RTF, HTML or text. The order is the order that the data will be checked, the first type found will be saved. If PREF is the special value of 'all' then any and all message body data found will be saved. The default is 'rht'. --save-rtf FILE DEPRECATED. Equivalent to --save-body=FILE --body-pref=r -h, --help show usage message. -V, --version display version and copyright. -v, --verbose produce verbose output. --debug enable debug output. EXAMPLE
The following example demonstrates typical tnef usage with a popular Unix mail client called "mutt". Step 1 -- Configure ~/.mailcap Mutt can't use tnef for its intended purpose until an appropriate content type definition exists in ~/.mailcap . Here's a sample defini- tion: application/ms-tnef; tnef -w %s This mailcap entry says that whenever the MIME content type: application/ms-tnef is encountered, use this command to decode it: tnef -w %s The latter command string invokes tnef, specifying both the -w option and the attachment (created as a temporary file) as command line arguments. Step 2 -- Add The Filter To $PATH Mutt can't invoke tnef if the filter isn't accessible via $PATH. Step 3 -- Test Mutt Use mutt to read a message that includes a TNEF attachment. Mutt will note that an attachment of type "application/ms-tnef is unsup- ported". Press the "v" key to open mutt's "view attachment" menu. Move the cursor over the TNEF attachment and press the enter key to "view" the attachment. Mutt will launch tnef and invoke it using the command line syntax specified in ~/.mailcap (step 1). tnef then decodes all file(s) included in the TNEF attachment, prompting for confir- mation prior to creating an individual file (refer to -w option above). -w is useful here because it gives the end user a chance to view the filename(s) included in the mail message. Note that Mutt's attachment menu also supports a pipe option, which permits the user to pipe attachments to an external filter (how conve- nient). So, to list the contents of a TNEF attachment prior to decoding it, press the "|" key and enter this command: tnef -t SEE ALSO
metamail(1), mailcap(4), mutt(1), other email clients. AUTHOR
Mark Simpson. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to Mark Simpson <verdammelt@users.sourceforge.net> OTHER REFERENCES
This web page: http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q136/2/04.asp describes how to configure Microsoft email clients so that the TNEF format is disabled when sending messages to non-TNEF-compatible clients. Filter TNEF MIME Decoder TNEF(1)