Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting comparing content of 2 variables in script Post 302188931 by aigles on Thursday 24th of April 2008 02:37:57 PM
Old 04-24-2008
Code:
variable1=`cat file2`
variable2=`cat file3`
if [ "$variable1" = "$variable2" ] # looking for content match of strings
then
   echo "variable1"
else
   echo " no match found"
fi

Jean-Pierre.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing file content differences

I need to write a script to find out if there are any .c files created/removed from the last time i monitored the files available. i first created a file to contain all the .c files available on the system. (ls *.c > file1) I created another file using the same command. I used the comm file1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RianTan
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

comparing variables

I have searched and found a few threads that have dealt with this, but the examples I've tried haven't seemed to help. I am monitoring our database log for high checkpoints. I can parse out the checkpoint value which can be anywhere from zero into a 3 digit number. I set a variable to be the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MizzGail
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two variables

Script #!/bin/sh hardware=PC os=WindowsNET for i in `cat newservers` do x=`sudo /opt/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpplclients |grep $i |head -40 |grep $i|awk '{print $3;exit}'` if then echo "$i is already added" else echo "Need to add" fi done O/p in debug mode bash-2.05$... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajip23
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

comparing the content of two directories

Hello I want to compare the content of two directories recursively to check if the two directories have the same files. How can I do that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyzt
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing files content

hi i have a set of files , i need to compare one file content with other file content, i am using cmp -s abc.1 def.2 , but it is not giving theproper o/p even if the content is different.Please help thanks Satya (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Satyak
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

comparing variables

im trying to compare ipaddresses. i loop through an array to see if the ip is already is in the array and if it is it should set a flag and then i wont add it to the array. but its just adding all the ipaddresses to the array if ] then ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: magnia
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing 2 csv files and matching content

Hello, I have the following problem: There are two csv files csv-file #1: aaa1, aaa2, ... aaan aaa1, bbb2, ... bbbn aaa1, ccc2, ... cccn bbb1, bbb2, ... bbbn ... zzz1, zzz2, ... zzzn csv-file #2: aaa1, matchvalue1 ccc1, matchvalue2 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghl10000
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing Alphanumeric Variables in Shell Script

Can someone please help me out here? I have strings similar to aafafaff45,29.34.942.45,edfdfafa that i want to compare to another similar string to check if they are the same. my script isn't working. ONE="aafafaff45,29.34.942.45,edfdfafa" TWO="ddfafagfa,87.57.942.45,afafafff" if ONE is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing content of two variables

I have very abstract need of "comparing two variables" and take subsequent actions. please refer to image below https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-frNk5iA3q1c/TjI3lE0sWOI/AAAAAAAAAIE/fxzB1w07gas/script_block.JPG I have a part of script which reads a file and generates variables based on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: animesharma
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two variables

I have a script like this. Just couldn't get the comparison part work. Any thought? thanks, #!/usr/bin/ksh -x STEP=`echo $(basename $0 .ksh) | tr "" ""` log=/skip.log while read LINE do if then echo `date`: STEP $STEP skipped by user >> $log exit 0 fi done < $1 echo... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghostmic
0 Replies
DIFF3(1)						      General Commands Manual							  DIFF3(1)

NAME
diff3 - 3-way differential file comparison SYNOPSIS
diff3 [ -ex3 ] file1 file2 file3 DESCRIPTION
Diff3 compares three versions of a file, and publishes disagreeing ranges of text flagged with these codes: ==== all three files differ ====1 file1 is different ====2 file2 is different ====3 file3 is different The type of change suffered in converting a given range of a given file to some other is indicated in one of these ways: f : n1 a Text is to be appended after line number n1 in file f, where f = 1, 2, or 3. f : n1 , n2 c Text is to be changed in the range line n1 to line n2. If n1 = n2, the range may be abbreviated to n1. The original contents of the range follows immediately after a c indication. When the contents of two files are identical, the contents of the lower-numbered file is suppressed. Under the -e option, diff3 publishes a script for the editor ed that will incorporate into file1 all changes between file2 and file3, i.e. the changes that normally would be flagged ==== and ====3. Option -x (-3) produces a script to incorporate only changes flagged ==== (====3). The following command will apply the resulting script to `file1'. (cat script; echo '1,$p') | ed - file1 FILES
/tmp/d3????? /usr/lib/diff3 SEE ALSO
diff(1) BUGS
Text lines that consist of a single `.' will defeat -e. Files longer than 64K bytes won't work. DIFF3(1)