Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: not able to capture STDOUT
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers not able to capture STDOUT Post 302188844 by aks__ on Thursday 24th of April 2008 10:56:01 AM
Old 04-24-2008
thanks vbe for pointing on tee.

well, its working to an extent, and only when I am invoking the command through a shell script like ./env_conf.sh |tee out.txt

Still wondering whats wrong with the command:
mamalistenc -m lbm -tport mamaqa -S MLALERTS -s KANA wFinancialStatus| tee out.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

logging stdout

Hello I run a program that creates number of processes. Is there a way of viewing their standard output on terminal and logging it to a log file simultaneously? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: masha
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing Stdout ???

Hiya all, Simple question - yet no simple answer im afraid ! Is there a way to execute a shell script (child) which returns one line and get the current (parent) shell to execute the stdout from the child ??? example child.sh #!/bin/sh echo "setenv DISPLAY xxx:03" parent_prompt>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fawqati
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to use gzip on stdout

Does anyone know how I can use gzip to zip a large log file on the fly. My simulation is currently logging a large file that I need for analysis at a later point. However the files are so huge that I may even run out of disk space. The content is mainly text so when compressed the files are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mitch1710
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to capture STDOut of script in a CGI script?

Hi Perl Experts, I am invoking a shell script thru a perl script and the perl script is cgi script.I need to capture the STDOUT of the shell script in the html page where I am invoking the script .?The shell script takes couple of mintutes to complete its execution .Mean while my html page does... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kittu1979
1 Replies

5. Programming

redirect stdout

hello again! i use dup2 to redirect stdout. I run what i want, now i want undo this redirection. how can i do that? thanx in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicos
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

STDOUT in one line

Hi all, I got a file which contains this. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa test aaaaaaaaaaaaaa test aaaaaaaaaaa test aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa test aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa test aaaaaaaaa test aaaaa test and I want all test output in one row, ideally 3 spaces after the longest word. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stinkefisch
4 Replies

7. Programming

Capture stdout from multiple processes

I have a number of binaries which I currenlty have no control over. They alright data to stdout. I would like to kick off any number of these binaries and capture and process their stdout. Doing this for one process is straight forward for example - comments and error checking removed for... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dvales
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

STDout

Hi, I have a program set to read in a text file, change certain characters and then print the altered version to the screen but does anyone know how to save the new version as another text file? And, if possible, how to specify the file name, and perhaps location? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PerlNutt
2 Replies

9. Cybersecurity

How do I wipe stdout?

Today I used Terminal (invoked from Mac OS X 10.4.11) to view some data that is secured by a password. After exiting Terminal, it occurred to me that a vestige of the data displayed on my screen might reside in memory or in disk file ... the actual file used for stdout, for example. Do I need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dcollins
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stdout in file

I cannot figure out what is wrong.... I have 3 files with IP addresses: file1 134.123.3.236 file2 134.123.3.235 file3 134.123.5.237 I type "prob1 Oops x2x3x4". Then my code creates file with name Oops and first line x2x3x4. Moreover, my code generate IP and it gives to file Oops as a second... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Manu1234567
1 Replies
IO::CaptureOutput(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      IO::CaptureOutput(3)

NAME
IO::CaptureOutput - capture STDOUT and STDERR from Perl code, subprocesses or XS VERSION
This documentation describes version 1.1102. SYNOPSIS
use IO::CaptureOutput qw(capture qxx qxy); # STDOUT and STDERR separately capture { noisy_sub(@args) } $stdout, $stderr; # STDOUT and STDERR together capture { noisy_sub(@args) } $combined, $combined; # STDOUT and STDERR from external command ($stdout, $stderr, $success) = qxx( @cmd ); # STDOUT and STDERR together from external command ($combined, $success) = qxy( @cmd ); DESCRIPTION
This module provides routines for capturing STDOUT and STDERR from perl subroutines, forked system calls (e.g. "system()", "fork()") and from XS or C modules. FUNCTIONS
The following functions will be exported on demand. capture() capture &subroutine, $stdout, $stderr; Captures everything printed to "STDOUT" and "STDERR" for the duration of &subroutine. $stdout and $stderr are optional scalars that will contain "STDOUT" and "STDERR" respectively. "capture()" uses a code prototype so the first argument can be specified directly within brackets if desired. # shorthand with prototype capture { print __PACKAGE__ } $stdout, $stderr; Returns the return value(s) of &subroutine. The sub is called in the same context as "capture()" was called e.g.: @rv = capture { wantarray } ; # returns true $rv = capture { wantarray } ; # returns defined, but not true capture { wantarray }; # void, returns undef "capture()" is able to capture output from subprocesses and C code, which traditional "tie()" methods of output capture are unable to do. Note: "capture()" will only capture output that has been written or flushed to the filehandle. If the two scalar references refer to the same scalar, then "STDERR" will be merged to "STDOUT" before capturing and the scalar will hold the combined output of both. capture &subroutine, $combined, $combined; Normally, "capture()" uses anonymous, temporary files for capturing output. If desired, specific file names may be provided instead as additional options. capture &subroutine, $stdout, $stderr, $out_file, $err_file; Files provided will be clobbered, overwriting any previous data, but will persist after the call to "capture()" for inspection or other manipulation. By default, when no references are provided to hold STDOUT or STDERR, output is captured and silently discarded. # Capture STDOUT, discard STDERR capture &subroutine, $stdout; # Discard STDOUT, capture STDERR capture &subroutine, undef, $stderr; However, even when using "undef", output can be captured to specific files. # Capture STDOUT to a specific file, discard STDERR capture &subroutine, $stdout, undef, $outfile; # Discard STDOUT, capture STDERR to a specific file capture &subroutine, undef, $stderr, undef, $err_file; # Discard both, capture merged output to a specific file capture &subroutine, undef, undef, $mergedfile; It is a fatal error to merge STDOUT and STDERR and request separate, specific files for capture. # ERROR: capture &subroutine, $stdout, $stdout, $out_file, $err_file; capture &subroutine, undef, undef, $out_file, $err_file; If either STDOUT or STDERR should be passed through to the terminal instead of captured, provide a reference to undef -- "undef" -- instead of a capture variable. # Capture STDOUT, display STDERR capture &subroutine, $stdout, undef; # Display STDOUT, capture STDERR capture &subroutine, undef, $stderr; capture_exec() ($stdout, $stderr, $success, $exit_code) = capture_exec(@args); Captures and returns the output from "system(@args)". In scalar context, "capture_exec()" will return what was printed to "STDOUT". In list context, it returns what was printed to "STDOUT" and "STDERR" as well as a success flag and the exit value. $stdout = capture_exec('perl', '-e', 'print "hello world"'); ($stdout, $stderr, $success, $exit_code) = capture_exec('perl', '-e', 'warn "Test"'); "capture_exec" passes its arguments to "system()" and on MSWin32 will protect arguments with shell quotes if necessary. This makes it a handy and slightly more portable alternative to backticks, piped "open()" and "IPC::Open3". The $success flag returned will be true if the command ran successfully and false if it did not (if the command could not be run or if it ran and returned a non-zero exit value). On failure, the raw exit value of the "system()" call is available both in the $exit_code returned and in the $? variable. ($stdout, $stderr, $success, $exit_code) = capture_exec('perl', '-e', 'warn "Test" and exit 1'); if ( ! $success ) { print "The exit code was " . ($exit_code >> 8) . " "; } See perlvar for more information on interpreting a child process exit code. capture_exec_combined() ($combined, $success, $exit_code) = capture_exec_combined( 'perl', '-e', 'print "hello "', 'warn "Test " ); This is just like "capture_exec()", except that it merges "STDERR" with "STDOUT" before capturing output. Note: there is no guarantee that text printed to "STDOUT" and "STDERR" in the subprocess will be appear in order. The actual order will depend on how IO buffering is handled in the subprocess. qxx() This is an alias for "capture_exec()". qxy() This is an alias for "capture_exec_combined()". SEE ALSO
o IPC::Open3 o IO::Capture o IO::Utils o IPC::System::Simple AUTHORS
o Simon Flack <simonflk _AT_ cpan.org> (original author) o David Golden <dagolden _AT_ cpan.org> (co-maintainer since version 1.04) COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Portions copyright 2004, 2005 Simon Flack. Portions copyright 2007, 2008 David Golden. All rights reserved. You may distribute under the terms of either the GNU General Public License or the Artistic License, as specified in the Perl README file. perl v5.16.3 2010-02-15 IO::CaptureOutput(3)