Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: not able to capture STDOUT
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers not able to capture STDOUT Post 302188820 by vbe on Thursday 24th of April 2008 09:53:09 AM
Old 04-24-2008
Have you tried to use tee command yet?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

logging stdout

Hello I run a program that creates number of processes. Is there a way of viewing their standard output on terminal and logging it to a log file simultaneously? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: masha
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing Stdout ???

Hiya all, Simple question - yet no simple answer im afraid ! Is there a way to execute a shell script (child) which returns one line and get the current (parent) shell to execute the stdout from the child ??? example child.sh #!/bin/sh echo "setenv DISPLAY xxx:03" parent_prompt>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fawqati
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to use gzip on stdout

Does anyone know how I can use gzip to zip a large log file on the fly. My simulation is currently logging a large file that I need for analysis at a later point. However the files are so huge that I may even run out of disk space. The content is mainly text so when compressed the files are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mitch1710
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to capture STDOut of script in a CGI script?

Hi Perl Experts, I am invoking a shell script thru a perl script and the perl script is cgi script.I need to capture the STDOUT of the shell script in the html page where I am invoking the script .?The shell script takes couple of mintutes to complete its execution .Mean while my html page does... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kittu1979
1 Replies

5. Programming

redirect stdout

hello again! i use dup2 to redirect stdout. I run what i want, now i want undo this redirection. how can i do that? thanx in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicos
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

STDOUT in one line

Hi all, I got a file which contains this. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa test aaaaaaaaaaaaaa test aaaaaaaaaaa test aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa test aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa test aaaaaaaaa test aaaaa test and I want all test output in one row, ideally 3 spaces after the longest word. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stinkefisch
4 Replies

7. Programming

Capture stdout from multiple processes

I have a number of binaries which I currenlty have no control over. They alright data to stdout. I would like to kick off any number of these binaries and capture and process their stdout. Doing this for one process is straight forward for example - comments and error checking removed for... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dvales
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

STDout

Hi, I have a program set to read in a text file, change certain characters and then print the altered version to the screen but does anyone know how to save the new version as another text file? And, if possible, how to specify the file name, and perhaps location? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PerlNutt
2 Replies

9. Cybersecurity

How do I wipe stdout?

Today I used Terminal (invoked from Mac OS X 10.4.11) to view some data that is secured by a password. After exiting Terminal, it occurred to me that a vestige of the data displayed on my screen might reside in memory or in disk file ... the actual file used for stdout, for example. Do I need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dcollins
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stdout in file

I cannot figure out what is wrong.... I have 3 files with IP addresses: file1 134.123.3.236 file2 134.123.3.235 file3 134.123.5.237 I type "prob1 Oops x2x3x4". Then my code creates file with name Oops and first line x2x3x4. Moreover, my code generate IP and it gives to file Oops as a second... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Manu1234567
1 Replies
TEE(2)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							    TEE(2)

NAME
tee - duplicating pipe content SYNOPSIS
#define _GNU_SOURCE /* See feature_test_macros(7) */ #include <fcntl.h> ssize_t tee(int fd_in, int fd_out, size_t len, unsigned int flags); DESCRIPTION
tee() duplicates up to len bytes of data from the pipe referred to by the file descriptor fd_in to the pipe referred to by the file descriptor fd_out. It does not consume the data that is duplicated from fd_in; therefore, that data can be copied by a subsequent splice(2). flags is a series of modifier flags, which share the name space with splice(2) and vmsplice(2): SPLICE_F_MOVE Currently has no effect for tee(); see splice(2). SPLICE_F_NONBLOCK Do not block on I/O; see splice(2) for further details. SPLICE_F_MORE Currently has no effect for tee(), but may be implemented in the future; see splice(2). SPLICE_F_GIFT Unused for tee(); see vmsplice(2). RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, tee() returns the number of bytes that were duplicated between the input and output. A return value of 0 means that there was no data to transfer, and it would not make sense to block, because there are no writers connected to the write end of the pipe referred to by fd_in. On error, tee() returns -1 and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
EINVAL fd_in or fd_out does not refer to a pipe; or fd_in and fd_out refer to the same pipe. ENOMEM Out of memory. VERSIONS
The tee() system call first appeared in Linux 2.6.17; library support was added to glibc in version 2.5. CONFORMING TO
This system call is Linux-specific. NOTES
Conceptually, tee() copies the data between the two pipes. In reality no real data copying takes place though: under the covers, tee() assigns data in the output by merely grabbing a reference to the input. EXAMPLE
The following example implements a basic tee(1) program using the tee() system call. #define _GNU_SOURCE #include <fcntl.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <errno.h> #include <limits.h> int main(int argc, char *argv[]) { int fd; int len, slen; if (argc != 2) { fprintf(stderr, "Usage: %s <file> ", argv[0]); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } fd = open(argv[1], O_WRONLY | O_CREAT | O_TRUNC, 0644); if (fd == -1) { perror("open"); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } do { /* * tee stdin to stdout. */ len = tee(STDIN_FILENO, STDOUT_FILENO, INT_MAX, SPLICE_F_NONBLOCK); if (len < 0) { if (errno == EAGAIN) continue; perror("tee"); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } else if (len == 0) break; /* * Consume stdin by splicing it to a file. */ while (len > 0) { slen = splice(STDIN_FILENO, NULL, fd, NULL, len, SPLICE_F_MOVE); if (slen < 0) { perror("splice"); break; } len -= slen; } } while (1); close(fd); exit(EXIT_SUCCESS); } SEE ALSO
splice(2), vmsplice(2) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2012-05-04 TEE(2)