Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting changing first letter to CAPS Post 302188575 by SandmanCL on Thursday 24th of April 2008 01:12:18 AM
Old 04-24-2008
using perl

Sort of cheating since it requires perl installed:

$ echo united | perl -pe 's/^(\w)/\u$1/'
United

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert character in word to CAPS??

Hi Gurus!! Is it possible to change a letter in a word to CAPS?? When correcting a paragraph i need to covert the word if it appears at the start of a line to caps....... if i had a phrase like my name is james and would like to sign up. how do i convert "my" to "My" or the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vadharah
3 Replies

2. Red Hat

Caps lock dtterm

Hello, We are having a problem with running dtterm off a RHEL server. Logging into an HP-UX server from a RHEL 5.1 desktop, setting DISPLAY and running dtterm, the caps lock does not work. We have been playing with xmodmap & stty but to no avail. Any help appreciated. mgb (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mgb
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

Caps lock dtterm

Hello, We are having a problem with running dtterm off a RHEL server. Logging into an HP-UX server from a RHEL 5.1 desktop, setting DISPLAY and running dtterm, the caps lock does not work. We have been playing with xmodmap & stty but to no avail. Any help appreciated. mgb (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgb
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying files with caps?

Anyone know the proper command to copy files whose names CONTAIN a capital letter to a diff location? Every time I do it I ke copying ALL the files. Here is what ive tried cp ** newlocation cp newlocation (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: losingit
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commands in all caps

Is it possible to make a bash script such that entering a command in all capital letters would be equivalent to using "sudo" before that command? For example: "sudo chmod 777 foo.txt" becomes "CHMOD 777 foo.txt" (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bloom
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is there a way to ignore CAPS or case sensitivity?

If I'm using a program that is expecting certain filenames and directories to be all CAPS, isn't there a way to ignore this in linux/cshell scripting? I.e., similiar to ignoring spaces with " (i.e., directory is directory 1, can ignore by typing "directory 1".) ?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rebazon
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Caps lock problem

hi all this s quite a foolish problem. I seem to hav pressed some keys s.t in unix, my letters are comin in caps and with caps lock on, i am getting lowercase letters. :o Pls help. Also is there any reference or manual where i can check in case such problems arrise? thanx in advance curiosity (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: curiosity
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate all possible word with caps and no caps

With use of sed/awk, how can I print all possible combinations of a word with caps/non-caps. Eg Applying operation on "cap" should generate output as follows. cap CAP Cap cAp caP CAp cAP CaP (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace specific letter in a file by other letter

Good afternoon all, I want to ask how to change some letter in my file with other letter in spesific line eg. data.txt 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 for example i want to change the 4th line with character 1. How could I do it by SED or AWK. I have tried to run this code but actually did not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: weslyarfan
3 Replies
Net::LDAP::Control::SortResult(3)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			 Net::LDAP::Control::SortResult(3)

NAME
Net::LDAP::Control::SortResult - Server Side Sort (SSS) result control object SYNOPSIS
use Net::LDAP::Control::Sort; use Net::LDAP::Constant qw(LDAP_CONTROL_SORTRESULT); use Net::LDAP::Util qw(ldap_error_name); $sort = Net::LDAP::Control::Sort->new( order => "cn -age" ); $mesg = $ldap->search( @args, control => [ $sort ]); ($resp) = $mesg->control( LDAP_CONTROL_SORTRESULT ); if ($resp) { if ($resp->result) { my $attr = $resp->attr; print "Problem sorting, ",ldap_error_name($resp->result); print " ($attr)" if $attr; print " "; } else { print "Results are sorted "; } } else { print "Server does not support sorting "; } DESCRIPTION
"Net::LDAP::Control::SortResult" is a sub-class of Net::LDAP::Control. It provides a class for manipulating the LDAP sort request control 1.2.840.113556.1.4.474 as defined in RFC-2891 A sort result control will be returned by the server in response to a search with a Server Side Sort control. If a sort result control is not returned then the user may assume that the server does not support sorting and the results are not sorted. CONSTRUCTOR ARGUMENTS
attr If "result" indicates that there was a problem with sorting and that problem was due to one of the attributes specified in the sort control. "attr" is set to the name of the attribute causing the problem. result This is the result code that describes if the sort operation was successful. If will be one of the result codes describes below. METHODS
As with Net::LDAP::Control each constructor argument described above is also available as a method on the object which will return the current value for the attribute if called without an argument, and set a new value for the attribute if called with an argument. RESULT CODES
Possible results from a sort request are listed below. See Net::LDAP::Constant for a definition of each. LDAP_SUCCESS LDAP_OPERATIONS_ERROR LDAP_TIMELIMIT_EXCEEDED LDAP_STRONG_AUTH_REQUIRED LDAP_ADMIN_LIMIT_EXCEEDED LDAP_NO_SUCH_ATTRIBUTE LDAP_INAPPROPRIATE_MATCHING LDAP_INSUFFICIENT_ACCESS LDAP_BUSY LDAP_UNWILLING_TO_PERFORM LDAP_OTHER SEE ALSO
Net::LDAP, Net::LDAP::Control::Sort, Net::LDAP::Control, http://ww.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2891.txt AUTHOR
Graham Barr <gbarr@pobox.com> Please report any bugs, or post any suggestions, to the perl-ldap mailing list <perl-ldap@perl.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1999-2004 Graham Barr. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-07-21 Net::LDAP::Control::SortResult(3)