Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Put the output of grep in a variable Post 302188396 by Dave Miller on Wednesday 23rd of April 2008 10:55:43 AM
Old 04-23-2008
Hmmm...

I would have said:

myvariable=`grep mystring myfilename`

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

capturing the output of grep as integer variable

Hi, I have an expression using grep and nawk that captures the ID number of a given Unix process. It gets printed to screen but I don't know how to declare a variable to this returned value! For example, ps -ef|grep $project | grep -v grep | nawk '{print $2}' This returns my number. How... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: babariba
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to store output in variable when put in background

Hi, How do I store following command output: export RESULT=`date` & It works when I do : export RESULT=`date` But what I need is when command put it background, I also need that output going to RESULT variable. Is there any way ? Thanks Sanjay (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sanjay92
1 Replies

3. AIX

Put one ligne from a file a variable

Hi everybody I looking the put the result of a commane to a Variable i explain here is my command: FJTS_UK:root:common@ukaix3:/> cat sortie | grep "^"| awk '{ print $1}' 15 FJTS_UK:root:common@ukaix3:/> sortie is a texte file I want to put the result of commande in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kykyboss
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect the grep output into the variable

i want to redirect the grep output into the variable but i am not able to get it i tried veri=`grep -i $1 "${logdir}"* | grep -i adding | grep -iv equation | tail -1 | cut -d ':' -f 1` vari=$(grep -i $1 "${logdir}"* | grep -i adding | grep -iv equation | tail -1 | cut -d ':' -f 1) BUT NOT... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with assigning output of grep + awk to a variable

Hi All, I am getting the output for the following command when i run it on the unix console. --------------------------- grep `whoami` /etc/passwd | awk '{print ($1);}' | cut -d ":" -f3 ---------------------------- But i made it into a script and tried to print the variable, its... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: meheretoknow
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Put output into an array

I'm trying to take the output of an environment that has multiple strings ex. # echo $SSH_CLIENT 192.168.1.1 57039 22 I need that IP... so I can set it to another environment. Thank you (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adelsin
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put output of one command into a variable

Hi, Let say I have these 3 files (state, list and myscript). I want to be able get the sample output like below when I run myscript. Any one know how to fix the code? TIA. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ > cat /home/state CA > cat /home/list CA 100 50 20 AUS 120 61 10 > cat myscript... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: joker_789us
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls | grep (i dont know what to put here)

Dear users, I googled for a while, but i have got a lot of different answers regarding a simple unix command. lets say there are a lot of files in a directory. How can i list the files in a directory whose file types is "text"? Thank you in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevincobain2000
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output of a Grep(Which already has a variable) into a Variabale

Hi All, I have a an array, in which i need to loop through all the variable and check each variable individually for a pattern. For ex #!/bin/ksh set -A FileNames $(</Temp/AllNames) echo "Total array elements :" ${#FileNames } for i in ${FileNames} do # if the "${i} | grep Last"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: baranisachin
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

I must use first sentence from a file to put into variable

i am having some bash script which must use first sentence of the file. For example i have file which content is: test 213 So I must use word test into my bash script, and put it into variable. I am using a one variable named value value=$(</home/rusher/test.txt) so instead using test.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tomislav91
1 Replies
SIZE(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   SIZE(1)

NAME
size - print the size of the sections in an object file SYNOPSIS
size [ option ... ] [ object ... ] DESCRIPTION
Size (without the -m option) prints the (decimal) number of bytes required by the __TEXT, __DATA and __OBJC segments. All other segments are totaled and that size is listed in the `others' column. The final two columns is the sum in decimal and hexadecimal. If no file is specified, a.out is used. The options to size(1) are: - Treat the remaining arguments as name of object files not options to size(1). -m Print the sizes of the Mach-O segments and sections as well as the total sizes of the sections in each segment and the total size of the segments in the file. -l When used with the -m option, also print the addresses and offsets of the sections and segments. -x When used with the -m option, print the values in hexadecimal (with leading 0x's) rather than decimal. -arch arch_type Specifies the architecture, arch_type, of the file for size(1) to operate on when the file is a universal file. (See arch(3) for the currently know arch_types.) The arch_type can be "all" to operate on all architectures in the file. The default is to display only the host architecture, if the file contains it; otherwise, all architectures in the file are shown. SEE ALSO
otool(1) BUGS
The size of common symbols can't be reflected in any of the numbers for relocatable object files. Apple Computer, Inc. July 28, 2005 SIZE(1)