Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How not to let field overflow ? Post 302187904 by davenorm on Tuesday 22nd of April 2008 08:09:00 AM
Old 04-22-2008
how about a different approach...

simple answer is no!

you could write a script that
1)asks the user to input values for each parameter one by one
2)then recreates the aforementioned file with the user input values - that way they don't even have to open the file in the first place - which is a better way of ensuring that noone trashes the file

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printer buffer overflow

I have an Oki-Page 14ex with 4MB of RAM. Whenever I print large documents or a several small documents, I get a buffer overflow. Can anyone help? Thanks. If there is any additional information you need, please feel free to ask. Tim (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AltatemTC
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Line overflow??

Hi everybody, I have a problem. I'm trying to ftp a file to a remote system. my shell that wrote is look for a data in a area and when it there its starting the ftp.:) At this point it works. Then it does cd $quelle ftp -n test <<EUF user anonymous test image put W* EUF and so... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peterh
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH arithmatic Integer overflow

Guys, I have two big numbers to multiply. In doing do I am getting integer overflow. I managed to multiply number but this number is useless as KSh does not recognise it as a valid number. Here is what I am doing $ expr 999999999999 \* 100 276447132 I got the right value by doing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas_sri
2 Replies

4. Programming

warning: integer overflow in expression

I have the following expression: #define GB (1024 * 1024 * 1024) #define TB (1024 * GB) #define MAX_SIZE (3 * TB) off_t current_size; And then the expression... if (current_size > MAX_SIZE) { ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tantric
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

Problem with stack overflow

Hi, I get a problem with stack overflow on HP-UX, when running a C program. Pid 28737 received a SIGSEGV for stack growth failure. Possible causes: insufficient memory or swap space, or stack size exceeded maxssiz. The possible cause i found, was that the definition of a structure had... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikb23
0 Replies

6. Programming

c++ overflow problem

I have come accross a rather strange problem with two buffers that seem to be overriding each other. bool killSession(const Session &session){ //Get user FILE* fp = fopen("conf/sessions.current", "rt"); char line; char user; int x = 0; int leaseTime; printf("key: %s \n" ,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mshindo
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

perform stack overflow

Help! I have an AIX system that has a power outage. When I logged in as root and got the system up and running it all looked ok. But.....when a user tries to log in they receive the error: The perform stack has overflowed OP=2117 PC=2124 E=46 in emmcshflif icrun is finished How can I fix... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dlegnar
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

neighbor table overflow

hi folks, Do you have any idea why this error occurs ? My server is hp blade in c7000 frames running RHEL 4 update 4. # uname -a Linux xxx 3 2.6.9-55.0.12.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Oct 17 08:15:59 EDT 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux Applications running are jboss or java applications: #... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxgeek
4 Replies
Alien::Package::Rpm(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  Alien::Package::Rpm(3pm)

NAME
Alien::Package::Rpm - an object that represents a rpm package DESCRIPTION
This is an object class that represents a rpm package. It is derived from Alien::Package. FIELDS
prefixes Relocatable rpm packages have a prefixes field. METHODS
checkfile Detect rpm files by their extention. install Install a rpm. If RPMINSTALLOPT is set in the environement, the options in it are passed to rpm on its command line. scan Implement the scan method to read a rpm file. unpack Implement the unpack method to unpack a rpm file. This is a little nasty because it has to handle relocatable rpms and has to do a bit of permissions fixing as well. prep Prepare for package building by generating the spec file. cleantree Delete the spec file. build Build a rpm. If RPMBUILDOPT is set in the environement, the options in it are passed to rpm on its command line. An optional parameter, if passed, can be used to specify the program to use to build the rpm. It defaults to rpmbuild. version Set/get version. When retreiving the version, remove any dashes in it. postinst postrm preinst prerm Set/get script fields. When retrieving a value, we have to do some truely sick mangling. Since debian/slackware scripts can be anything -- perl programs or binary files -- and rpm is limited to only shell scripts, we need to encode the files and add a scrap of shell script to make it unextract and run on the fly. When setting a value, we do some mangling too. Rpm maintainer scripts are typically shell scripts, but often lack the leading shebang line. This can confuse dpkg, so add the shebang if it looks like there is no shebang magic already in place. Additionally, it's not uncommon for rpm maintainer scripts to contain bashisms, which can be triggered when they are ran on systems where /bin/sh is not bash. To work around this, the shebang line of the scripts is changed to use bash. Also, if the rpm is relocatable, the script could refer to RPM_INSTALL_PREFIX, which is set by rpm at run time. Deal with this by adding code to the script to set RPM_INSTALL_PREFIX. arch Set/get arch field. When the arch field is set, some sanitizing is done first to convert it to the debian format used internally. When it's retreived it's converted back to rpm form from the internal form. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> perl v5.12.3 2011-06-11 Alien::Package::Rpm(3pm)