Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: search for lines in a file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting search for lines in a file Post 302187690 by varungupta on Monday 21st of April 2008 05:42:24 PM
Old 04-21-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalua
Just want to make my question more clear. I want to check if all 3 lines exist or not, meaning an AND condition.

Thanks!!
Solution:
Check with grep -e "searchText1" -e "SearchText2" <FILENAME>

This makes the multiple search possible.

With AND caluse you can use sed option to search.
As :
sed '/pattern/action' filename

for multiple searchs use..
sed -e 'pattern1/p' -e '/pattern2/p' -e '/pattern3/p' FILE

Hope this'll work for you !!
Thanks.Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for multiple lines in large file

Hi, I have a requirement to search for a string in a large log file along with few lines before and after the the string. The following script was sufficient to search such an entry. STRING_TO_GREP="$1" FILE_TO_GREP="$2" NUMBER_OF_LINES_BEFORE=$3 NUMBER_OF_LINES_AFTER=$4 for i in `grep... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveen123
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and Remove Lines within File

Hello, I've searched through the scripting section but could not find what I need. I need to search for empty sections within a file and remove them. Here is an example file: Title 123 A B C D E Title 098 Title 567 Z Y (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: leepet01
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search for an expression in a file and print the 3 lines above it

Hi, I have a file like this comment.txt 1.img 2.img 3.img OK x.img y.img z.img not ok 1.img 2.img 3.img bad 1.img 2.img 3.img (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: avatar_007
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for lines in one file in another

I am trying to search for lines present in file a that do not exist in file b and print out the lines. E.g. file a apple pear banana orange file b apple banana orange would output to stdout: pear. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thurmc
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk how to search strings within a file from two different lines

Hi, i would really appreciate any help anyone can give with the following info. Thanks in advance. I need to run a search on a file that contains thousands of trades, each trade is added into the file in blocks of 25 lines. i know the search has to take place between a time stamp specified... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sp3arsy
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading lines from a file between two search patterns

Hi, I am new to shell scripting and is working on a script to extract lines from a log file between two time stamps using awk command. After some research I used following command: awk '/01 Oct 2011/{p=1} /10 Oct 2011/{p=0} p' test.log >> tmp.log This works fine. But now i want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: davidtd
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and delete the lines in a file

HI group members I am new in unix I want to search # symbol in a file. if found need to delete the entire row in the file. need to move the actual data(with out # symbol data) to another file. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmreddy
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To search lines between two timestamps in a file

I have a log file where every line starts with a time stamp. I have to extract lines from the file within a given time stamp. For example: IF the file is like this: 2012-08-19 10:34:03,446|WebContainer : 56|OrderHeaderDaoImpl|findByKeys|26| 2012-08-20 11:34:03,463|WebContainer :... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinalluri
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Search string(which is in 2 lines) in a file?

Hello, I want to search 2 lines from the file. I wanted to display all such matches. Example file: ================== Testfile is test TEST1 TEST2 testing the file string to do testing TEST1 TEST2 sample strings ================= I wanted to search the file with 2 lines " TEST1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: balareddy
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search lines between two timestamps in a file

Hi, I want to pull lines between two timestamps from a file. When I just insert values directly it is working fine. sed -n '/2014-02-14 05:30/,/2014-02-14 05:31/p' Logfile When I try to insert variable it is not working. sed -n '/TZ=GMT+1 date +%Y-%m-%d" "%H:%M:%S/,/TZ=GMT date... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neethu
2 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines (with newlines excluded) that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(6). Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/grep.c SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(6) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)