Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to print script output to screen and file Post 302187509 by orahi001 on Monday 21st of April 2008 09:22:21 AM
Old 04-21-2008
vgersh99

I'm trying to understand the syntax of the command you posted. Can you explain the purpose of the 2>&1?

thank you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

echo or print to screen and file

I did a search for this topic but I couldn't find it and I was sure I have seen something similar before (hard because I am not sure of the criteria for the keywords) What I was looking for was to be able to echo a message to the screen from a bash.sh script at the same time logging it to a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shakey21
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

print to screen and to file using awk?!

Hello all!.. does anyone know the syntax to print to the screen and to a file? Im using something like AWK .... print header |tee -a invalid_csv_file ; END {..} ' invalid_csv_file="$invalid_csv_dir_file" but no joy? I get sh:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satnamx
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl - print to a log file and screen

as the title suggests, i need to print a user message to a log file and the screen using perl. in unix i set up a function using 'tee' like so function Display_Message { echo "$*" | tee -ai $LOGFILE } the following command then obviously displays to the screen and prints to a log... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjays
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To parse through the file and print output using awk or sed script

suppose if u have a file like that Hen ABCCSGSGSGJJJJK 15 Cock ABCCSGGGSGIJJJL 15 * * * * * * : * * * . * * * : Hen CFCDFCSDFCDERTF 30 Cock CHCDFCSDHCDEGFI 30 * . * * * * * * * : * * :* : : . The output shud be where there is : and . It shud... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to compare lines of two files and print output on screen

hey guys, I have two files both with two columns, I have already created an awk code to ignore certain lines (e.g lines that start with 963) as they wou ld begin with a certain string, however, the rest I have added together and calculated the average. At the moment the code also displays... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chlfc
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shell Script to compare xml files and print output to a file

All, PLease can you help me with a shell script which can compare two xml files and print the difference to a output file. I have attached one such file for you reference. <Group> <Member ID=":Year_Quad:41501" childCount="4" fullPath="PEPSICO Year-Quad-Wk : FOLDER.52 Weeks Ending Dec... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanthrajgowda
2 Replies

7. Programming

std::cout and gfortran print*, don't output to the screen

I am not sure where to post this other than here. I am trying to figure out why an app gives different output when compiled under Ubuntu 10.10 and CentOS 5.5. I am pretty sure that the issue is that the Cent version has gcc 4.1 installed, while Ubuntu has gcc 4.4. I am trying to print from some... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
20 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk script to run a sql and print the output to an output file

Hi All, I have around 900 Select Sql's which I would like to run in an awk script and print the output of those sql's in an txt file. Can you anyone pls let me know how do I do it and execute the awk script? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adept
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print and append output of nawk script in commandline and as well into a file?

Hi All, I am working on nawk script, has the small function which prints the output on the screen.Am trying to print/append the same output in a file. Basically nawk script should print the output on the console/screen and as well it should write/append the same result to a file. script :... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus81
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need output of script on screen and file with correct return status of the called script.

Hi, I am trying to capture logs of the script in the file as well as on the screen. I have used exec and tee command for this. While using exec command I am getting the correct output in the file but, script output is not getting displayed on the screen as it get executed. Below is my sample... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prathmesh
14 Replies
menu_hook(3CURSES)					     Curses Library Functions						menu_hook(3CURSES)

NAME
menu_hook, set_item_init, item_init, set_item_term, item_term, set_menu_init, menu_init, set_menu_term, menu_term - assign application-spe- cific routines for automatic invocation by menus SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -lmenu -lcurses [ library... ] #include <menu.h> int set_item_init(MENU *menu, void (*func)(MENU *)); int set_item_term(MENU *menu, void (*func)(MENU *)); void item_term(MENU *menu); int set_menu_init(MENU *menu, void (*func)(MENU *)); void menu_init(MENU *menu); int set_menu_term(MENU *menu, void (*func)(MENU *)); void menu_term(MENU *menu); DESCRIPTION
set_item_init() assigns the application-defined function to be called when the menu is posted and just after the current item changes. item_init() returns a pointer to the item initialization routine, if any, called when the menu is posted and just after the current item changes. set_item_term() assigns an application-defined function to be called when the menu is unposted and just before the current item changes. item_term() returns a pointer to the termination function, if any, called when the menu is unposted and just before the current item changes. set_menu_init() assigns an application-defined function to be called when the menu is posted and just after the top row changes on a posted menu. menu_init() returns a pointer to the menu initialization routine, if any, called when the menu is posted and just after the top row changes on a posted menu. set_menu_term() assigns an application-defined function to be called when the menu is unposted and just before the top row changes on a posted menu. menu_term() returns a pointer to the menu termination routine, if any, called when the menu is unposted and just before the top row changes on a posted menu. RETURN VALUES
Routines that return pointers always return NULL on error. Routines that return an integer return one of the following: E_OK The routine returned successfully. E_SYSTEM_ERROR System error. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
curses(3CURSES), menus(3CURSES), attributes(5) NOTES
The header <menu.h> automatically includes the headers <eti.h> and <curses.h>. SunOS 5.11 31 Dec 1996 menu_hook(3CURSES)